Lineup 2020

randlfan

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You see, a lot of people won’t know about all they’d done since Ellipsis just like I don’t. The soundtrack album got to no. 36 in the charts - of course it’s getting praised because the only people who’ve listened to it are diehards. :lol:

I don’t see them subbing R+L soon (like The Libertines might, or lower) but I don’t see them getting the headline slot at R+L. Tbh it’s not even that bad a deal for them to be going to stuff like Boardmasters, Y NOT and This is Tomorrow when there are bigger bands than them headlining those fests.

I don't think it'd be a bad deal for them doing a few smaller festivals but they would be a big get for those festivals. And its not like those festivals are pulling blatantly bigger bands, you could probably argue that Florence is bigger but would personally put Biffy above Foals/Stereophonics/Noel G etc

21 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Biffy are absolutely still major headliner level.

Well they’re not Glasto headline level but they are IOW headline level - two major festivals. They could easily become not R+L headline level but also Boardmasters headline level - also two major festivals. ‘Major headline level’ doesn’t really mean anything as a category anymore when it’s so fluid.

Dunno if it’s my echo chamber but Foals seem much more talked about and Biffy seem to be losing fans with every passing year. It’s been ten years since Only Revolutions now; they can’t stay at the top forever.

Biffy Clyro will be entering their nostalgia phase soon/now where it doesn't matter how their singles or albums chart as it's only old 30+ somethings that turn up to their shows who want the classics. I wouldn't rule them out of R&L if they are scrapping for a headliner but they are more likely to go for some WOKE rapper who talks about cumming on Asian girls faces.

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well they’re not Glasto headline level but they are IOW headline level - two major festivals. They could easily become not R+L headline level but also Boardmasters headline level - also two major festivals. ‘Major headline level’ doesn’t really mean anything as a category anymore when it’s so fluid.

Dunno if it’s my echo chamber but Foals seem much more talked about and Biffy seem to be losing fans with every passing year. It’s been ten years since Only Revolutions now; they can’t stay at the top forever.

There was no build up for the soundtrack album at all. They released a single from it and then a few days later the album was here. It wasn’t marketed at all as being a Biffy album. It’s a soundtrack for a film. 

Only Revolutions wasn’t even their peak, though. Opposites was 2013 and that’s when they got their first #1 album, did their first extensive arena tour and the first time they headlined R&L. 

They sold out an arena tour just as large as the Opposites tour on Ellipsis which was only 3 years ago. 

They’re certainly a bigger band than Foals are and they get talked about as returning to headline. 

I can’t see R&L (or Download for that matter) eliminating Biffy from their headliner pool when I don’t think people would bat an eyelid at their name being atop the bill again. 

A few people on this forum seems to be the only place I’ve seen the ‘Biffy have dropped off’ talk. They’re still a massive band in the UK. 

Edited by Andre91

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There was no build up for the soundtrack album at all. They released a single from it and then a few days later the album was here. It wasn’t marketed at all as being a Biffy album. It’s a soundtrack for a film. 

Only Revolutions wasn’t even their peak, though. Opposites was 2013 and that’s when they got their first #1 album, did their first extensive arena tour and the first time they headlined R&L. 

They sold out an arena tour just as large as the Opposites tour on Ellipsis which was only 3 years ago. 

They’re certainly a bigger band than Foals are and they get talked about as returning to headline. 

I can’t see R&L (or Download for that matter) eliminating Biffy from their headliner pool when I don’t think people would bat an eyelid at their name being atop the bill again. 

Of course OR was their peak. They were crushing the charts on that album - practically UK’s biggest band. Opposites got a no. 1 and maiden UK headline slots because they were collecting on the success that came before it, not because of that album. Opposites’ failure to maintain fans is pretty much why they’ve been backsliding since. I’m pretty sure they didn’t sell out the arena tour on Ellipsis either - people were commenting about it being less busy on here.

I think y’all will be surprised when Biffy actually roll out the mat for this new album. They will continue to lose fans with each album and this one should be where it’s really felt.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Of course OR was their peak. They were crushing the charts on that album - practically UK’s biggest band. Opposites got a no. 1 and maiden UK headline slots because they were collecting on the success that came before it, not because of that album. Opposites’ failure to maintain fans is pretty much why they’ve been backsliding since. I’m pretty sure they didn’t sell out the arena tour on Ellipsis either - people were commenting about it being less busy on here.

I think y’all will be surprised when Biffy actually roll out the mat for this new album. They will continue to lose fans with each album and this one should be where it’s really felt.

That’s makes no sense to me. Why weren’t they headlining the O2 and headlining R&L at the end of the OR cycle if that’s the case? Opposites pushed them to being the biggest they’ve ever been. Yes, OR gained them so many new fans and was when everyone realised just how big they were going to be but to say that the size they ended up being in 2013 was only down to their last album’s success and not the appeal and impact of Opposites is mad to me. Biffy Clyro were at the peak of their powers like never before in 2013 and that was due to Opposites coming out. 

Why will the continue to lose fans on every album? If anything they’ve gained fans or on every album since 2010 going by the venues they’ve played in that time, or at the very least stayed the same size between Opposites and Ellipsis (which they were selling out arenas on). It’s not as if they’re going to drop down to doing Ally Pally and Victoria Warehouse on the next album. They will continue to play the same arenas they have since 2013 because they are still a massive band in this country. 

They have headlined every single major festival other than Glastonbury since 2011. That can’t be held against them. Look at the other bands who play Glastonbury and don’t headline but would do so else where. They were playing under Ed Sheeran. 

I’m telling you, if R&L have the chance to book Biffy as a headliner, they’re not turning them away :P 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That’s makes no sense to me. Why weren’t they headlining the O2 and headlining R&L at the end of the OR cycle if that’s the case? Opposites pushed them to being the biggest they’ve ever been. Yes, OR gained them so many new fans and was when everyone realised just how big they were going to be but to say that the size they ended up being in 2013 was only down to their last album’s success and not the appeal and impact of Opposites is mad to me. Biffy Clyro were at the peak of their powers like never before in 2013 and that was due to Opposites coming out. 

Why will the continue to lose fans on every album? If anything they’ve gained fans or on every album since 2010 going by the venues they’ve played in that time, or at the very least stayed the same size between Opposites and Ellipsis (which they were selling out arenas on). It’s not as if they’re going to drop down to doing Ally Pally and Victoria Warehouse on the next album. They will continue to play the same arenas they have since 2013 because they are still a massive band in this country. 

They have headlined every single major festival other than Glastonbury since 2011. That can’t be held against them. Look at the other bands who play Glastonbury and don’t headline but would do so else where. They were playing under Ed Sheeran. 

I’m telling you, if R&L have the chance to book Biffy as a headliner, they’re not turning them away :P 

So they announced their biggest ever tour to take place in spring 2013 and were booked to headline their biggest festival shows in 2013... because of an album that came out in 2013? You really don’t need me to explain this one to you. :P

They clearly aren’t gaining fans on every album. That’s absolute nonsense. The hype around Biffy in 2010 and the hype now is miles apart - regardless of them not headlining fests back then. They’re always gonna have a loyal following that’ll keep them at a certain level, but that level is gonna have to be short of R+L headliner if they wanna keep getting gigs.

Anyway, they did have the chance to book them this year surely? And they didn’t. :D

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

So they announced their biggest ever tour to take place in spring 2013 and were booked to headline their biggest festival shows in 2013... because of an album that came out in 2013? You really don’t need me to explain this one to you. :P

I get what you're saying but I don't think that's quite right. I'd equate it to new album hype + current fanbase rather than it solely being the previous album. The expectation of the band was to have a well received new album (which Opposites was even if it didn't hit the heights of Only Revolutions or even Puzzle) to prop them up abit. 

It has started getting to the point that bands only release new albums to promote their tours rather than the other way round as interest does wane without new stuff.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You see, a lot of people won’t know about all they’d done since Ellipsis just like I don’t. The soundtrack album got to no. 36 in the charts - of course it’s getting praised because the only people who’ve listened to it are diehards. :lol:

I don’t see them subbing R+L soon (like The Libertines might, or lower) but I don’t see them getting the headline slot at R+L. Tbh it’s not even that bad a deal for them to be going to stuff like Boardmasters, Y NOT and This is Tomorrow when there are bigger bands than them headlining those fests.

I can't see Y Not or Boardmasters going crazy over getting Biffy to be honest, like they are popular but acts like Catfish or Foals are much more in demand for the audience as they are still on the rise. Biffy are staying stable but unless something changes i think they may start to drop off.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Foals / Two Door Cinema Club / Skepta / Slaves 

All Time Low 

Stormzy / Billie Eilish / Wolf Alice / Lil Pump

Nothing But Thieves 

Biffy Clyro / Vampire Weekend / Tyler, The Creator / Parkway Drive 

Migos 

These three headliners are honestly so average, combined with a repeat act as a sub plus both Friday headliner+sub are going to be at the same festival a few times this year already, while also touring heavily and doing lots of other festivals alone. Very few day tickets will sell for Friday thats for sure. I think the acts are just fine but there isn't really any wow factor at all I guess is what i'm saying. For the 'rock sunday' compared to the last few years in size Biffy are nothing on Muse, Foos and KoL (however much they are slated they are still big) Since the co-headlined with FoB they simply haven't grown bigger too is the main thing. Also surely Migos is a bit big for the NME headline now - I would have thought that they would be like 3rd down maybe, against Biffy that tent would be packed.

I like Foals but based on how much they are touring and their sales for This is Tomorrow, not too sure they would be a good pick unless part 2 is incredible or they lay low next year and come back in 2021. I would like to see maybe RHCP replace one of the headliners or Arctics maybe if they are about to boost ticket sales. Probably move Tyler to the foals day if biffy gets swapped out as he will get some nice day ticket sales I reckon prehaps even Vampire Weekend too - bring tdcc and skepta over.

Wonder if we could see Liam back with a new album? Subbing Glasto, i'd be pretty happy with him to co or even fully headline - more and more people have never seen Oasis now so their stock is rising for both of them.

edit - i think more than anything after only doing IoW this year they will want some more paydays than just a co spot at R&L which is realistically the best they will get unless this new album is insane or something. They just aren't that relevant at all to anyone other than superfans, i completely agree with @dentalplan on this to be honest - they don't have the mass appeal of the other recent big rock acts or the young appeal when compared to other options like Catfish, Foals etc.

Edited by gfa

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They clearly aren’t gaining fans on every album. That’s absolute nonsense. The hype around Biffy in 2010 and the hype now is miles apart - regardless of them not headlining fests back then. They’re always gonna have a loyal following that’ll keep them at a certain level, but that level is gonna have to be short of R+L headliner if they wanna keep getting gigs.

Anyway, they did have the chance to book them this year surely? And they didn’t. :D

But that’s not all down to Only Revolutions which came out four years prior to 2013. If anything it’s a combination like @jump has said. 2013 was Biffy’s peak year and Opposites helped them reach that peak. 

@gfa they aren’t relevant to anyone at all other than super fans is absolute rubbish. It’s not as if they’re Tool. 

Foals are not a young band and are they really popular with the ‘young’ crowd? Foals to me are a band who are popular with your 20-30s crowd, not your typical teenager who attends R&L. Antidotes came out in 2008. 

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The only folk still into Biffy are people who got their puzzle piece tattoos done in a visible place and therefore feel obligated to see it through.

Unfairly harsh but I like the put down.

Edited by jump

20 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Foals are not a young band and are they really popular with the ‘young’ crowd? Foals to me are a band who are popular with your 20-30s crowd, not your typical teenager who attends R&L. Antidotes came out in 2008. 

Mountain at my Gates, 2015 and 2013 for My Number their two biggest songs. They aren't massive sure but they are definitely quite popular and certainly more popular with the under 20s crowd than biffy clyro. I like antidotes but like compared to their newer albums its tiny, spotify shows this pretty well. Biffy are just not recognised that much, like if you play Many of Horror few people will know who its by compared to like Sex on Fire, The Sound, Uprising, Stressed Out, Fire.. etc of other bands that have played recently. They may recognise it but few people would know the name, I know that i didn't. Foals aren't insanely popular for the young crowd but they are certainly more celebrated than Biffy - their festivals this year show that very well I think. I don't think either are good picks for 2020 at all though, Foals have toured so heavily this year they wouldn't e worth having till 2021.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Mountain at my Gates, 2015 and 2013 for My Number their two biggest songs. They aren't massive sure but they are definitely quite popular and certainly more popular with the under 20s crowd than biffy clyro. I like antidotes but like compared to their newer albums its tiny, spotify shows this pretty well. Biffy are just not recognised that much, like if you play Many of Horror few people will know who its by compared to like Sex on Fire, The Sound, Uprising, Stressed Out, Fire.. etc of other bands that have played recently. They may recognise it but few people would know the name, I know that i didn't. Foals aren't insanely popular for the young crowd but they are certainly more celebrated than Biffy - their festivals this year show that very well I think. I don't think either are good picks for 2020 at all though, Foals have toured so heavily this year they wouldn't e worth having till 2021.

Biffy are much more popular that Foals, even amongst younger people imo.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I feel like a lot of the arguments you make on here are purely based around what you and your mates are into. I do agree that Biffy would be a pretty shit choice by now though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I feel like a lot of the arguments you make on here are purely based around what you and your mates are into. I do agree that Biffy would be a pretty shit choice by now though.

Fair enough, but glad you agree that they would both be not a great choice. None of my friends are even into Foals to be honest

9 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

just seen BMTH perform a headline slot at APE. comfortably the best gig i’ve ever been to and i’ve been to a lot including The 1975 (who are my favourite band) Twenty One Pilots and Post Malone

Can't lie for how many free tickets they gave out the crowd on their story looked pretty damn good. Still no chance of coming to reading as headliner thank god thanks to those sales!

Biffy fell off because stadium rock died really hard. The reason why Foals etc teeter around smaller festivals and never truly make it to the top of the bill is because the current scene isn’t interested in breaking out the next big rock band.

the next big rock band to break it as a bona fide headliner will be a new band (probably that doesn’t exist yet) when rock makes a resurgence (if it happens). 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I wonder if same might be said for Catfish and the Bottlemen now.

With Citadel? They've headlined a London fest 3 years in a row and seemingly the first 2 sold alright. They've toured so heavily its not too surprising they are struggling to sell Citadel. Or do you mean the album as i don't really like it but seems to of gone down alright.

36 minutes ago, gfa said:

With Citadel? They've headlined a London fest 3 years in a row and seemingly the first 2 sold alright. They've toured so heavily its not too surprising they are struggling to sell Citadel. Or do you mean the album as i don't really like it but seems to of gone down alright.

So in a year everyone will be ready to see them again?