Lineup 2020

randlfan

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Aye the run of Foos > ADTR > Frank Carter > The Distillers this year has Radio 1's Big Weekend/Wireless written all over it.

And that's the only day that's sold out! Rock = ticket sales. 

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

That doesn’t prove shit. Obviously the day with the biggest headliner by a mile will sell out first. 

Nah it proves people want to see the Foos still. But they can't rely on them next year again and I struggle to see what rock headliner they'd book instead. Hence why I think they'll focus on rap and pop. 

37 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Nah it proves people want to see the Foos still. But they can't rely on them next year again and I struggle to see what rock headliner they'd book instead. Hence why I think they'll focus on rap and pop. 

Green Day? Arctic Monkeys? The Killers? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Blink-182? There’s loads of options. There’ll almost certainly be at least one established rock headliner, there always is.

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Green Day? Arctic Monkeys? The Killers? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Blink-182? There’s loads of options. There’ll almost certainly be at least one established rock headliner, there always is.

You forgot Fall Out Boy. Nah just kidding. I'd be surprised if they booked Green Day or RHCP anytime soon. The GCSE crowd won't have grown up with them when they were popular and they'd probably be irrelevant to them now. I only really see AM from those options, but it's slim pickings really. FR seem to be more interested in drawing pop and rap crowds rather than rock fans, so expect more of those two genres headlining in future. 

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I'd be surprised if they booked Green Day or RHCP anytime soon. The GCSE crowd won't have grown up with them when they were popular and they'd probably be irrelevant to them now.

So why have they booked Foos this year then? Green Day would definitely an option next year, if they're available. Could be a bit soon for RHCP to return, but it wouldn't be the shortest turnaround for a headliner at R&L and they're definitely not off the cards forever.

9 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

FR seem to be more interested in drawing pop and rap crowds rather than rock fans, so expect more of those two genres headlining in future. 

FR are interested in booking acts that will sell. It's not their fault that there's hardly any big rock acts emerging nowadays. R&L isn't a festival that constricts itself by booking 3 heritage headliners every year. They've always booked zeitgeist acts - Post Malone this year for example. There's definitely an increase in hip hop headliners because that's what's popular just now. They're interested in appealing to their (predominantly) 16-21 y/o clientele, not 'pop and rap crowds' instead of rock fans.

I think they've nailed the headliners this year, considering the acts that are available/appeal to the R&L crowd.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So why have they booked Foos this year then? Green Day would definitely an option next year, if they're available. Could be a bit soon for RHCP to return, but it wouldn't be the shortest turnaround for a headliner at R&L and they're definitely not off the cards forever.

FR are interested in booking acts that will sell. It's not their fault that there's hardly any big rock acts emerging nowadays. R&L isn't a festival that constricts itself by booking 3 heritage headliners every year. They've always booked zeitgeist acts - Post Malone this year for example. There's definitely an increase in hip hop headliners because that's what's popular just now. They're interested in appealing to their (predominantly) 16-21 y/o clientele, not 'pop and rap crowds' instead of rock fans.

I think they've nailed the headliners this year, considering the acts that are available/appeal to the R&L crowd.

Foos are still relevant and a big name, recently headlined Glastonbury etc. Green Day don't still have that to fall back on really. When was the last big Green Day song you heard/saw the music video for? It's Jesus of Suburbia for me and that was from 2005. The only Green Day songs you see on the music channels these days are Basket Case and American Idiot. With acts like Green Day and Foos you're relying on day tickets. How many Green Day fans will want to buy a day ticket when they can just go to their own show? 

21 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Sometimes people can surprise you though, I don’t think it’s black and white. In 2017, all my mates who are usually into Dance/Rap/Pop side of the festival all agreed Kasabian and Muse were the best acts of the weekend.  There’d still be interest in a Green Day, The Killers, The Strokes even Radiohead would probably get a lot of people excited.

The rappers that could realistically headline are Kendrick, Eminem, Jay Z, Post Malone, Kanye (if he ever decides to tour again) and probably Stormzy now too, maybe Cardi aswell on the outside. The pool for guitar acts is far bigger. 

28 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Sometimes people can surprise you though, I don’t think it’s black and white. In 2017, all my mates who are usually into Dance/Rap/Pop side of the festival all agreed Kasabian and Muse were the best acts of the weekend.  There’d still be interest in a Green Day, The Killers, The Strokes even Radiohead would probably get a lot of people excited.

The rappers that could realistically headline are Kendrick, Eminem, Jay Z, Post Malone, Kanye (if he ever decides to tour again) and probably Stormzy now too, maybe Cardi aswell on the outside. The pool for guitar acts is far bigger. 

Travis Scott? Drake?

4 minutes ago, Properbigfan said:

Travis Scott? Drake?

Ah bugger they both could. I just think the festival isn’t going to stop booking bands to top the lineup, there’s Wireless for hip hop and Download for Rock and Metal. Reading and Leeds will always contain a bit of both, it’s not going to go fully one way or the other. 

19 minutes ago, Barnabylike said:

Very Optimistic I know but I'd love for 2020's Line up  to be something like this.

fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg

No way that Slipknot would headline, nor Prophets of Rage taking 3rd down. Slaves too high up as are Don Broco who are only subbing Truck. Brockhampton will at least be 3rd down/R1 headline, and Neck Deep too low. 

12 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

No way that Slipknot would headline, nor Prophets of Rage taking 3rd down. Slaves too high up as are Don Broco who are only subbing Truck. Brockhampton will at least be 3rd down/R1 headline, and Neck Deep too low. 

Its a jump up for Broco, they have a massive following and they're an arena sized band. Slaves are also a massive draw for people, if Blossoms can do it then so can Slaves. Neck Deep are that low because of where they are on the Slam Dunk Line Up. Slipknot is a bit of a wildcard Headliner. Gunna have to dissagree on Brockhampton as well.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, Chinaski_ said:

Foos are still relevant and a big name, recently headlined Glastonbury etc. Green Day don't still have that to fall back on really. When was the last big Green Day song you heard/saw the music video for? It's Jesus of Suburbia for me and that was from 2005. The only Green Day songs you see on the music channels these days are Basket Case and American Idiot. With acts like Green Day and Foos you're relying on day tickets. How many Green Day fans will want to buy a day ticket when they can just go to their own show? 

Green Day and Foos are a similar size. Green Day definitely have a deeper backlog of mainstream songs. Green Day's last album, released in 2016, was number 1 in the UK which shows they're still very popular. I would be shocked if Green Day aren't booked by Reading at some point in the next 3 years. They're guaranteed ticket sellers who appeal to the older and younger crowd (just like Foos).