Lineup 2020

randlfan

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

True perhaps, but I don’t think courteeners necessarily have to co-headline though, i think they’re fine remaining as a sub. They’ll still draw a huge crowd up at leeds and i think foals are popular enough up north to close

Courteeners would be a really cheap headliner with a good effect up North. Money wise it makes a lot of sense to bump them up - but they would need to be with a strong 'southern appeal act' to counteract nobody really caring about them at Reading

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Courteeners would be a really cheap headliner with a good effect up North. Money wise it makes a lot of sense to bump them up - but they would need to be with a strong 'southern appeal act' to counteract nobody really caring about them at Reading

True I suppose, would probably make sense swapping catfish for courteeners and have them co-head with stormzy, with stormzy closing reading and vice versa

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Imagine Glastonbury booking you to headline the Pyramid Stage before they've even had the chance to see the reception your second album gets, and then a year later Melvin Benn telling you he wants you to co-headline Reading and Leeds with the fucking Courteeners.

can imagine him saying "oi rude boy, shut up'

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Imagine Glastonbury booking you to headline the Pyramid Stage before they've even had the chance to see the reception your second album gets, and then a year later Melvin Benn telling you he wants you to co-headline Reading and Leeds with the fucking Courteeners.

I get what you mean but in reality is it any different from Kendrick Lamar coheading with Panic after he released his biggest album? Melvin makes strange choices, so i don’t think it’s exactly out of the realm of plausibility 

26 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

I get what you mean but in reality is it any different from Kendrick Lamar coheading with Panic after he released his biggest album? Melvin makes strange choices, so i don’t think it’s exactly out of the realm of plausibility 

Nah I just think it'd be funny. I don't think Courteeners will headline regardless. They're not getting any bigger than they were last year and as dental has said several times, leaving them as a sub they can rebook every couple of years makes more sense than bumping them up to headliners and therefore not being able to book them as often. Especially when they've done nothing to warrant it.

16 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Nah I just think it'd be funny. I don't think Courteeners will headline regardless. They're not getting any bigger than they were last year and as dental has said several times, leaving them as a sub they can rebook every couple of years makes more sense than bumping them up to headliners and therefore not being able to book them as often. Especially when they've done nothing to warrant it.

Yeah this is what i said originally on a post at the top of this page and someone replied saying they’d be a cheap headliner and that so I suggested an alternative. I don’t like the courteeners much so I’m just going to stick with what I originally said about them remaining a sub and leave them under foals

If Catfish headline TRNSMT, do people start thinking of them as an outright headliner here?

tbh I think Royal Blood and Catfish will both be big enough to do it outright, but also coheadlining would be better than anything else they can get. I think FR would be happier to book Royal Blood Up there than Catfish if it was a choice between the two. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If Catfish headline TRNSMT, do people start thinking of them as an outright headliner here?

tbh I think Royal Blood and Catfish will both be big enough to do it outright, but also coheadlining would be better than anything else they can get. I think FR would be happier to book Royal Blood Up there than Catfish if it was a choice between the two. 

Agree that either could headline outright, but like you say, if both were offered coheadline then it's probably the best gig either would get next year so I think they'd accept it.

Also Stereophonics and Liam G both headlined TRNSMT last year, so not sure you can outright equate headlining that to headlining R&L. Aware that it was different with them having 5 headliners in 2018, but still.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Agree that either could headline outright, but like you say, if both were offered coheadline then it's probably the best gig either would get next year so I think they'd accept it.

Also Stereophonics and Liam G both headlined TRNSMT last year, so not sure you can outright equate headlining that to headlining R&L. Aware that it was different with them having 5 headliners in 2018, but still.

Stereophonics fair enough that was a weird booking and was clearly just to make up the days. LG was easily big enough though, he sold out basically everything he played last year.

Feel like cause Catfish haven't played for a few years they're saving them for being a headliner maybe next year.

4 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Stereophonics fair enough that was a weird booking and was clearly just to make up the days. LG was easily big enough though, he sold out basically everything he played last year.

Feel like cause Catfish haven't played for a few years they're saving them for being a headliner maybe next year.

Eh I'm not saying they weren't big enough to headline TRNSMT, I'm saying that headlining TRNSMT doesn't necessarily equate to headlining R&L outright.

LG subbed R&L in 2017. Was just before his album came out which boosted him for a while, but he's quickly gone back to almost completely relying on Oasis stuff in his live set. He could comfortably cohead at R&L, but doubt they'd book him as an outright headliner like TRNSMT did.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Unless there are acts actually lower down at R+L who headline TRNSMT then I don’t see the equivalence. Stereophonics wouldn’t play, and Liam Gallagher would probably be given a headline slot if he returned.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Unless there are acts actually lower down at R+L who headline TRNSMT then I don’t see the equivalence. Stereophonics wouldn’t play, and Liam Gallagher would probably be given a headline slot if he returned.

You reckon LG would be an outright headliner at R&L now? Fair if so, but I don't think he'd get anything better than coheadliner as things stand.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Eh I'm not saying they weren't big enough to headline TRNSMT, I'm saying that headlining TRNSMT doesn't necessarily equate to headlining R&L outright.

LG subbed R&L in 2017. Was just before his album came out which boosted him for a while, but he's quickly gone back to almost completely relying on Oasis stuff in his live set. He could comfortably cohead at R&L, but doubt they'd book him as an outright headliner like TRNSMT did.

Most of the other TRNSMT headliners have also been booked to headline Reading though. Kasabian, Biffy, Radiohead, AM & The Killers. The headliners are just as big, Stereophonics being the only exception.

Also LG was a much bigger draw in 2018 then 2017.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You reckon LG would be an outright headliner at R&L now? Fair if so, but I don't think he'd get anything better than coheadliner as things stand.

Only because of who he is though. Seems a bit shit to have him headline off the back of Oasis. Catfish don’t share those circumstances.

4 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Most of the other TRNSMT headliners have also been booked to headline Reading though. Kasabian, Biffy, Radiohead, AM & The Killers. The headliners are just as big, Stereophonics being the only exception.

Also LG was a much bigger draw in 2018 then 2017.

I'm aware that most acts that headline TRNSMT are previous R&L headliners. I'm saying that I don't think headlining it means that they're automatically outright R&L headliners and nothing less. Like I said before, I reckon both Catfish and Royal Blood could headline R&L outright quite comfortably, but if they were offered the coheadline then it'd likely be the best gig they'd get that year and I doubt they'd turn it down.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm aware that most acts that headline TRNSMT are previous R&L headliners. I'm saying that I don't think headlining it means that they're automatically outright R&L headliners and nothing less. Like I said before, I reckon both Catfish and Royal Blood could headline R&L outright quite comfortably, but if they were offered the coheadline then it'd likely be the best gig they'd get that year and I doubt they'd turn it down.

I'd say if you're headlining TRNSMT then the only thing stopping you headlining R&L would be if it was a totally different genre. However, Catfish appeal to both fests. But yeah I agree if they were offered a co-headline they'd prbs take it.

52 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Feel like TRNSMT last year struggled for headliners. Majority of those that headlined wouldn't be able to headline R&L. Hoping to see stronger headliners this year now its back to one weekend

4 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

Feel like TRNSMT last year struggled for headliners. Majority of those that headlined wouldn't be able to headline R&L. Hoping to see stronger headliners this year now its back to one weekend

As I say, I think Stereophonics were the only small ones there. Queen and Adam Lambert was a strange one and obv wouldn't be booked for a festival like R&L. LG, Killers and AM was a strong trio tho and if it was just 3 days would have looked very strong.

This is how I could see it roughly looking following from the headliners I put forward yesterday.

ROYAL BLOOD, CATFISH AND THE BOTTLEMEN, Dua Lipa, Dave, Cage the Elephant // R1: Marshmello

STORMZY, Wolf Alice, Bombay Bicycle Club, Limp Bizkit, Rex Orange County // R1: Nothing But Thieves

GREEN DAY, Tyler the Creator, Glass Animals, Don Broco, Playboi Carti // R1: Rae Sremmurd

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I really can’t see Dua Lipa being a regular at R&L. I see her as a one off like Macklemore was the year he played. You’ll probably see more mainstream artists like her appearing but I can’t see Dua returning. 

You don't see Dua Lipa back after the crowd she got?, that's madness.