READING/LEEDS UNPOPULAR OPINIONS THREAD

TOMHAMPTON

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

congratulations!

You've won first prize in our "marketing isn't the same as real life" competition. :D

:lol:

I wish it was purely the hype machine but I know real people who claim that the Foo Fighters are the best live band they’ve seen. Makes me worry about them now that I finally subjected myself to almost 3 hours of a Dave Grohl vanity show. 

5 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

I wish it was purely the hype machine but I know real people who claim that the Foo Fighters are the best live band they’ve seen.

bands don't get to their size without huge numbers of people running around saying how incredible they are, even if it's not actually true. :P

I've seen the Foos about 10 time in the last 15 years - and they always put the effort in, but they're not necessarily 'good'. They're loud and fast and have lots of popular songs, tho.

And like all bands, they do have their good and bad days. The worst I've seen them was when they played in Frome last year for their Glasto announcement - but to be fair to them, that was their first show in 18 months (or something).

And to be fair to them again, they out-do many of their peers of similar size ... so perhaps the 'incredible' people say they are is within a group of bands where most aren't very good in comparison.

I'm in both camps here. I get the "incredible" calls, they try really hard, work hard and they make sure they are seen giving it back to the fans. In reality though Dave Grohl is a shit singer. His voice is weak for the songs he sings. He is an amazing drummer however. He should stick to that and get a proper singer in. Not Josh Homme. TCV were dire. Foos have written some great songs though. I wouldn't pay and travel to see them at their own show unless they came close to me (never gonna happen) but I'd be very happy to see them headline a festival. In summary, overpriced, overhyped but ok to watch :)

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, jkerr4412 said:

Wouldn't think this would be an unpopular opinion but it seems to be so on this thread, Kings of Leon are a quality headliner especially with their lack of appearances at other festivals.  

I'd agree if they played more off their first 2 albums but their setlist is dominated by post 2008 stuff. Definitely stronger headliners they could've chose from but will undoubtedly bring a better crowd that FoB and Panic!

This year's line up is minimum/cheapest effort. They've dialed it in this year because there is no Glastonbury so a terrible lineup will probably still sell out. 

Also I love the food - 14 times I've gone and I've lived off cheap burgers and hotdogs.

(The toilets are amazing too...at least compared to what they used to be like)

• 4 months later...