Download 2019

Steve1000

Interesting to see a lot have given up already, packed and gone as things are drenched. Some commented that as usual the festival do nothing to combat the weather which I'm defo in agreement with. Twice I've been with bad weather previously, the village was awful, delayed arena opening and zero shits given as they have your money.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Interesting to see a lot have given up already, packed and gone as things are drenched. Some commented that as usual the festival do nothing to combat the weather which I'm defo in agreement with. Twice I've been with bad weather previously, the village was awful, delayed arena opening and zero shits given as they have your money.

One of the reasons I stopped going, when I started going Download, 2009, when Soni was about, they did everything they could to make it a better experience, once they killed of Soni, they cut back on a lot of stuff in the Campsite Village and really give you the bare minimum. Every year that it rains, they let it get worse and worse until the last day when they put a bit of straw down but by then its too late, most of the time its only by the stalls as well so the pathways are always mudbaths, the Village is always a complete disgrace. 

I have Crohns Disease which leaves me generally feeling fatigued all the time, the last time I went, 2016, the mud was that bad just walking around for 10 minutes because it was so deep, you literally had to rip your leg out of the mud every step I was just exhausted. I was only 1 month on a new drug after a relapse as well so it was just a really bad combination. I know they can't control the weather but they can certainly prepare for it and they never do and its cus they're tight fucking bastards, so I will be tight and not buy a ticket to return.  

• Upvote 2

Alter Bridge December tour in the program, few others got mentioned on the Download forum but not seen pictures of any of them.

Supposedly Fever 333 in November spotted on Facebook but can't find it myself.

EDIT: Never mind someone tracked it down.

Image may contain: text

Edited by Jericode

37 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

One of the reasons I stopped going, when I started going Download, 2009, when Soni was about, they did everything they could to make it a better experience, once they killed of Soni, they cut back on a lot of stuff in the Campsite Village and really give you the bare minimum. Every year that it rains, they let it get worse and worse until the last day when they put a bit of straw down but by then its too late, most of the time its only by the stalls as well so the pathways are always mudbaths, the Village is always a complete disgrace. 

I have Crohns Disease which leaves me generally feeling fatigued all the time, the last time I went, 2016, the mud was that bad just walking around for 10 minutes because it was so deep, you literally had to rip your leg out of the mud every step I was just exhausted. I was only 1 month on a new drug after a relapse as well so it was just a really bad combination. I know they can't control the weather but they can certainly prepare for it and they never do and its cus they're tight fucking bastards, so I will be tight and not buy a ticket to return.  

Could not agree more, I think from previous experience that it's a majorly poorly run festival and added to that it would take something special to put anymore money Andy Copping's way as he's an outright 'many words could go here', in my opinion. I did not camp at Soni myself. The fact it's deemed acceptable to pay the same for parking 1 day that it is for 3,4 or even 5 if you do that is crazy and the rule to have to buy a 5 to camp from Thursday, anyway no more reasons against needed.

I’m on my way there now via train. A little apprehensive about conditions, but hoping it won’t be as bad as expected. A shame people have bailed already. I went to Glastonbury in 97 and 98, so feel things would have to be really dreadful to get the better of me.

anybody know if the pick up area is a field, or tarmac? I am picking up some lads Saturday in a hire car, if its a field ill be telling them to get the shuttle bus and meet me as cant afford to get a wrecked hire car!

I think the people who leave probably still come back though, I think you can swap a weekend ticket for day tickets or something. I don't know what people see in this camping nonsense anyway, there is a reason why people stopped living in camps hundreds of years ago, because it was miserable, it would be like giving up your colour tv for the weekend and watching a black and white one with 3 channels, silly when there are nice hotels down the road and don't tell me they can't afford a hotel, i earn minimum wage and can afford one.

Edited by markopaddy92
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

There is hardly any hotels in the Nottingham/Derby area that are easily affordable this week, there are 2 huge international tournaments on locally just now, accommodation is at a premium, even on AirBnB.

2 hours ago, markopaddy92 said:

I think the people who leave probably still come back though, I think you can swap a weekend ticket for day tickets or something. I don't know what people see in this camping nonsense anyway, there is a reason why people stopped living in camps hundreds of years ago, because it was miserable, it would be like giving up your colour tv for the weekend and watching a black and white one with 3 channels, silly when there are nice hotels down the road and don't tell me they can't afford a hotel, i earn minimum wage and can afford one.

No

Not sure how everyone is fairing there at the min.. the stories I'm getting are pretty awful with major queues at bars etc whilst bands are playing.

I gave up after last year when booked for quiet camping only to be told when I got there it was full and find a pitch elsewhere .. I'm 55 , solo and female.. I had to leave a day early as the only place I could find was right on the main drop.. had one person land on my tent during the night... that was enough for me to pack up and go home 

Seems like an even bigger debacle this year sadly 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:29 PM, luckysalt said:

2016 was also my last year at Download. I had been going yearly before and there had been some wet years before but nothing as bad as that. For all the talk every year they stated how they try and improve drainage and increase straw etc. the arena was pretty awful and it seems like absolutely nothing has changed in the campsites judging by this year. It seems like they really need a rethink for next year.

Arena is ok but there’s some sticky mud at some points. Took over an hour to get in the new non camping entrance. Bars snd merch stands are absolute nightmare. Taking around 30 mins at bar and more at merch. Suggestions on social media that staff walked out, but not sure that’s correct 

10 hours ago, markopaddy92 said:

Well this is a load of arse!

5 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

Not sure how everyone is fairing there at the min.. the stories I'm getting are pretty awful with major queues at bars etc whilst bands are playing.

I gave up after last year when booked for quiet camping only to be told when I got there it was full and find a pitch elsewhere .. I'm 55 , solo and female.. I had to leave a day early as the only place I could find was right on the main drop.. had one person land on my tent during the night... that was enough for me to pack up and go home 

Seems like an even bigger debacle this year sadly 

For a festival backed by Live Nation, the organizer does nothing every year to try help the situation, the ignorance and arrogance is appalling. We are talking about someone who just straights blocks people on social media though who have a different opinion to his.

My experience has been very good so far. Though I’m in my mates camper van. Quite muddy on the walkway but the stage is all good and I throughly enjoyed yesterday without many acts I wanted to see. Whitesnake pleasantly surprised me and i caught the first part of Eagles who were alright, helped because I knew the songs but where alright. 

Def Leppard put on a hell of a show which I thought I was going to be bored throughout. Women, Animals, Rocket and Pour Some Sugar as the first four songs went down well and I liked them but as a band got into it more later down the set. Very good headliner. 

Die Antwoord and Slipknot tonight and I can’t wait. Hope everyone has a great rest of the festival, how’s everyone found it?

Edited by RarerThanDandyB

I’m in the campervan field too. Everything is fine up where we are. Mud in the arena isn’t as bad as it has been previously. 

Only gripe I’ve got is for the beers. Painfully slow. I hope they get it sorted today.

Going tomorrow, will do the shuttle bus from east mids parkway. Only going to the arena, still a wellies occasion?

Also any more tour announcements? I'll be going to the fever tour as they are always brilliant. Watching them Sunday and again on Tuesday

I don't get what is wrong with the Pumpkins setlist. It's not ideal and I wasn't there (wish I was) but looking at the setlist it looks like a decent balance of new music and their earlier hits. Including a reasonable amount of heavy stuff such as Everlasting Gaze, Zero, Bullet, Superchrist etc. Personally I would want more stuff like 1979, Stand Inside Your Love (No Idea how they didn't play that) etc. in there and I think ending on XYU would have been great for Download but ah well. It seems to be pretty consistent with the sets they have been playing lately.

Edited by SOAD