Download 2019

Steve1000

25 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I'd take that quite happily.

Green Day / Offspring top two as a back-up.

I don’t think The Offspring could sub in 2020. Third down perhaps. Weezer subbing? Hmmmmm :P 

Green Day with Blink 182 subbing would be an unbelievable coup. I really don’t think subbing at a festival as massive as DL is beneath Blink without Tom. It’s just whether they still charge as much as they do when Tom was around, because, if I remember correctly, they cost something like £1.5/2m when they headlined R&L in 2014. 

Edited by Andre91

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I really think that FOB would go down like a sack of shit at Download. They pulled a tiny crowd when they headline Leeds last year. 

Blink were supposedly booked to headline in 2005 but broke up. I’m sure DL has tried multiple times to get both them and Green Day but it clearly hasn’t worked out. 

ADTR are perfect. Big arena band, new album on the way, they’ve worked their way up the festival bill and they pulled a really big crowd when they subbed last time. 

I wouldn't say they are a big arena band, I also think Parkway Drive might be a bit previous for subbing.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s up my friends of the black and despairing variety. I’ve really got into punk music over the last year. Is punk well represented at download and if it is what bands would people recommend from the lineup ? Merci becaoup 

Edited by Radi0Head

First timer here. Went to Donington a few times back in the day but never Download. Got a few questions if you don't mind. Had a quick look on the info section of the website but couldn't see the answers. 

Can you take alcohol into the arena?

How far is the walk from car park to quiet camping (yeah, I know, I'm old)

How strict are searches when you get there?

Are gazebos allowed in campsite?

16 hours ago, benali said:

First timer here. Went to Donington a few times back in the day but never Download. Got a few questions if you don't mind. Had a quick look on the info section of the website but couldn't see the answers. 

Can you take alcohol into the arena?

How far is the walk from car park to quiet camping (yeah, I know, I'm old)

How strict are searches when you get there?

Are gazebos allowed in campsite?

No. 

Very. But there are buses some of the way. 

Not particularly strict if you're careful. 

Yes. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:51 PM, Radi0Head said:

Not bad ...but its not as heavy as this ...

_105383278_gettyimages-1094878164-nc.png

It's not about the heavy it's about the metal!!!

Back to your question if you look up at the page you'll see people are talking about how lacklustre Download is for punk. Punk itself is a bigger genre than you would imagine so me just name dropping my favourite acts wouldn't help as they can be completely different to another punk fan's taste.

The bigger punk festivals are Rebellion (which is more for the old skool), Slam Dunk (which is more pop-punk), Boomtown Fair's Diss-order Alley (which is more street punk & ska punk and the one closest to my taste although it lacks bigger name acts), 2000 Trees (more rock/middle of the road punk) and some more I've probably forgotten if you want to check out their line ups.

At the moment Frank Carter, Slaves, Idles, You Me At Six, Frank Turner, Sleaford Mods, Anti-Nowhere League, The Dammed are some of the bigger names flying the "punk" flag in the UK, some of which I hate/love/don't even consider punk tbh.

At the moment I'm listening to Hands Off Gretel, Gogol Bordello, Fucked Up, The Bronx, Body Count, Streetlight Manifesto, Against Me!, Beatsteaks, Creepshow, Random Hand, King Prawn and The Interrupters if you want to give some them a try.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

Cheers I'm definitely into the more recent 'revival' of punk stuff and I'm not into the whole pop-punk thing. Though there is some older punk bands which I like but are fairly standard e.g. the clash, black flag, sex pistols, The Fall. Will have to look up Rebellion festival because that's the only which you mention but I've never heard of. 2000 trees has a wicked lineup this year but my diary is packed with other festive delights! 

Thanks for the recommendations 

1 hour ago, scrubbertheman said:

Ha! Gojira at Glastonbury. At least there's one band worth my attention there now.

I know! Wow! If they pander to the hippies and play global warming live for the 1st time I'll be gutted. 

1 hour ago, pryce said:

is Download cashless? im only doing the sunday and was wondering if will need to top up a wristband before I go?

do I even get a wristband sent to me for a day ticket?

They only did the cashless wristband thing one year mate (thankfully).

Cash is still the preferred currency, or if you use Apple pay, or Google pay or whatever, they'll work at the bigger bars/stalls.

• Upvote 1