Download 2019

Steve1000

On 3/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, Moey said:

My usual download buddy looks like he’ll be bailing. I’m in the campervan field and was wondering if people on here have been at the campervan field on their own?

i know there is the camp loner site for pitching a tent, but haven’t heard of anything similar in the campervan section.

Come hang with us. We're old school, drink a lot and are far from politically correct but we have a great time. There's enough of us with differing tastes that whatever band you wanna see there'll be someone to watch them with you. Or, if there's nothing you want to see there's usually someone back at camp to prevent the silliness from going out :) From what I remember you like Avatar so you'll fit right in.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Oceansateowen said:

Ones of trafficking, torture and general nasty shinbiz

Unfortunately for us, it seems to be a nothing story.

Some faceless Aussie rapper made some accusations about their relationship in a song.

But who hasn't?

I believe the yout call this a "dis track".

On 4/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, scrubbertheman said:

Unfortunately for us, it seems to be a nothing story.

Some faceless Aussie rapper made some accusations about their relationship in a song.

But who hasn't?

I believe the yout call this a "dis track".

The fact that both members of Die Antwoord have responded by video suggests that it isn’t a ‘nothing story’ but it doesn’t seem to be gathering too much traction 

Download haven’t got much of a history of pulling bands from line ups due to internet rumours/allegations so the only reason they would be cancelled from Download would be if the band scrapped their entire tour.

It's looking really unlikely at this point, but now their UK run is over I'd be ecstatic if Idles were announced for one of those remaining Saturday main stage spots. They're in Austria for Nova Rock on the Friday and back in the UK for IOW on Sunday so they're free. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

The odds of a punk/pop punk headliner happening next year? Something like Blink-182, Greenday or the original Misfits headlining would be great

There's not a chance in hell Misfits could headline Download. Tbh if they do tour the UK I'd rather see them at their own show simply to make sure they are given a decent amount of time to play.

58 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

The odds of a punk/pop punk headliner happening next year? Something like Blink-182, Greenday or the original Misfits headlining would be great

Green Day would be a great booking for Download. I’m really not sure if Blink-182 are headline level these days with Matt in the band. Misfits no chance. They’re apparently charging the Earth for these reunion shows and nowhere in the UK is prepared to pay that as they’re not really much over here compared to the USA. 

ADTR headlining next year would tick the pop punk box. 

18 minutes ago, justanothername said:

If Download wants to try and seriously compete with Slam Dunk then it does need to consider a Pop Punk headliner because The Avalanche stage is a poor attempt at it.

The booking is down to Kerrang isn't it or are they just the sponsor?

Not that Download see Slam Dunk as a rival but yeah, Avalanche is horrendous for "punk" fans. If you look at fests like Reading or Boomtown they got some decent bookers just for their punks stage in Mike Davies and Last Gang In Town without the need to spend money on big names. There's a thought, get Mike Davies in since he's not a Reading anymore.

48 minutes ago, justanothername said:

If Download wants to try and seriously compete with Slam Dunk then it does need to consider a Pop Punk headliner because The Avalanche stage is a poor attempt at it.

Agreed. They need a pop punk headliner on the main stage with some more bands below them that would appeal,  something more towards that also headlining the second stage on another day and then a better booked Avalanche to appeal to that crowd and entice them to buy weekend tickets. 

ADTR is surely the perfect choice since they'll appeal to the heavier side of the audience.

Blink is always a safe bank for them. Green Day would be a great get if they ever can. They've mentioned before they want Fall Out Boy and they'd be perfect, some of the rockier stuff will help the crossover appeal.

Shove All Time Low or Neck Deep as second stage against a heavier choice. They've both played there before so could do it easily enough if not playing on main.

Just now, Jericode said:

ADTR is surely the perfect choice since they'll appeal to the heavier side of the audience.

Blink is always a safe bank for them. Green Day would be a great get if they ever can. They've mentioned before they want Fall Out Boy and they'd be perfect, some of the rockier stuff will help the crossover appeal.

Shove All Time Low or Neck Deep as second stage against a heavier choice. They've both played there before so could do it easily enough if not playing on main.

I really think that FOB would go down like a sack of shit at Download. They pulled a tiny crowd when they headline Leeds last year. 

Blink were supposedly booked to headline in 2005 but broke up. I’m sure DL has tried multiple times to get both them and Green Day but it clearly hasn’t worked out. 

ADTR are perfect. Big arena band, new album on the way, they’ve worked their way up the festival bill and they pulled a really big crowd when they subbed last time. 

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I really think that FOB would go down like a sack of shit at Download. They pulled a tiny crowd when they headline Leeds last year. 

Blink were supposedly booked to headline in 2005 but broke up. I’m sure DL has tried multiple times to get both them and Green Day but it clearly hasn’t worked out. 

ADTR are perfect. Big arena band, new album on the way, they’ve worked their way up the festival bill and they pulled a really big crowd when they subbed last time. 

The new album won't have helped them in the eyes of the Download crowd, I imagine, but if they don't book it they won't know. If they focused on the older stuff I reckon they'd get by.

I genuinely thought they'd already booked Blink, I must have confused it with Reading getting them in 2014 or whenever.

ADTR have surely got to be doing it next year on a new album.

Edited by Jericode

10 minutes ago, Jericode said:

The new album won't have helped them in the eyes of the Download crowd, I imagine, but if they don't book it they won't know. If they focused on the older stuff I reckon they'd get by.

I genuinely thought they'd already booked Blink, I must have confused it with Reading getting them in 2014 or whenever.

ADTR have surely got to be doing it next year on a new album.

I really do feel that the time is perfect for ADTR in 2020. I’m expecting a single out before they sub R&L in August and then an album in September and a winter arena tour for October / November time, maybe, followed by being announced for DL. Tailor their day a little: 

A Day To Remember / Limp Bizkit / Alexisonfire / Papa Roach / While She Sleeps / Four Year Strong / Milk Teeth 

1 hour ago, jump said:

The booking is down to Kerrang isn't it or are they just the sponsor?

Not that Download see Slam Dunk as a rival but yeah, Avalanche is horrendous for "punk" fans. If you look at fests like Reading or Boomtown they got some decent bookers just for their punks stage in Mike Davies and Last Gang In Town without the need to spend money on big names. There's a thought, get Mike Davies in since he's not a Reading anymore.

No idea but it's not great. I know back in 2017 it was quite strong and was supported with similar bands on the other stages so that surely seemed like they wanted to try and get people away from SD. They do need to change how they book it as there is no real reason to go if you're into that kind of music. Pretty much every alternative is better.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed. They need a pop punk headliner on the main stage with some more bands below them that would appeal,  something more towards that also headlining the second stage on another day and then a better booked Avalanche to appeal to that crowd and entice them to buy weekend tickets. 

Pretty much this. It's poor value for money. You get all the stages of Slam Dunk crammed onto one stage and even though it's across 3 days it's like 3.5 times more expensive. You're paying more for less choice. Doing Slam Dunk, 2000Trees and Outbreak instead would give you a better selection of acts and for the same price.

ADTR headlining main with Limp Bizkit subbing and Alexisonfire third down. 

Don Broco headlining second with Frank Carter subbing. 

The Story So Far, New Found Glory and Converge headlining the Avalanche with bands suited to them playing below them each day. 

Periphery headlining fourth because their new (bloody excellent) album has some pure pop punk hooks and melodies throughout. 

BOOM. Sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1