Download 2019

Steve1000

On 12/27/2018 at 12:20 PM, JSmurphy said:

DEF LEPPARD, Slash ft. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, Deadland Ritual, Lamb of God, Opeth, Fever 333, 
// Tenacious D, Anthrax
// Underøath 

SLIPKNOT, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Trivium, Amon Amarth, Tremonti, Whitechapel 
// Don Broco, Eagles of Death Metal
// Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

TOOL, The Smashing Pumpkins, Die Anwoord, Stone Temple Pilots, Clutch, Power Trip, Starset
// Whitesnake, Dream Theater 
// Dropkick Murphys

Does Saturday have to be that heavy?, if you like Slipknot but you rock that is less heavy you are virtually stuff that day.

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah, sounds about right. They’re playing Tool day at DL Madrid so 4th down Tool day wouldn’t surprise me. 

Why would they return with new?, I don't think they are out of subbing ATL at Slam Dunk yet.

19 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Does Saturday have to be that heavy?, if you like Slipknot but you rock that is less heavy you are virtually stuff that day.

Why would they return with new?, I don't think they are out of subbing ATL at Slam Dunk yet.

I think Sum 41 won't play slam dunk as 3rd down will be too low for them to accept (BFMV are probably just about bigger than them), and also their European tour dates start June 12th - download is perfect fit, why would they come 3 weeks earlier just for a slot at Slam Dunk?

Edited by R Shah

4 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Aye. It's shite that there's literally no other stages that they could put alternative choices on.

They aren't just going to fill up Zippo on just rock and no metal though are they and in fairness the Avalanche won't be strong enough to justify the ticket price for a day imo. 

18 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I think Sum 41 won't play slam dunk as 3rd down will be too low for them to accept (BFMV are probably just about bigger than them), and also their European tour dates start June 12th - download is perfect fit, why would they come 3 weeks earlier just for a slot at Slam Dunk?

Tbh I know that it's just wishful, I don't think they'll play any tbh.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:44 PM, Spiral_Low said:

You: BMTH are big enough to headline!

Also you: BMTH need to sell more tickets to headline!

Ok then.

No, that's not that what I'm saying. BMTH are big enough to feasibly headline - any band that's playing in arenas is -  the problem that they have is that every year there are at least 3 bands bigger than them who Copping can book. Some years there is only 3 bands (on the years where they've almost done it but been dumped for Maiden/Rammstein etc), but some years, more so now, there are more like 5 or 6, maybe even a few more than that who would be higher on Copping's list. 

I'm not sure why this is hard to understand. It's simple supply and demand. It works the same at any other festival. 

BMTH are big enough to headline or co-headline R+L, but this year, there were (at least) 4 acts available to the bookers who would sell more tickets. So they didn't headline it. 

Don Broco are big enough to headline Slam Dunk. But if BMTH are up for playing it in 2020, then Don Broco won't headline it. 

Neck Deep are big enough to headline 2000 Trees next year. But if 2 headliners are already secured and Don Broco are up for playing it, then Neck Deep won't headline it. 

Less Than Jake were big enough to headline The Avalanche stage at Download this year. But since they could book Bad Religion, Neck Deep and The Hives - they didn't end headline it. 

12 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

No, that's not that what I'm saying. BMTH are big enough to feasibly headline - any band that's playing in arenas is -  the problem that they have is that every year there are at least 3 bands bigger than them who Copping can book. Some years there is only 3 bands (on the years where they've almost done it but been dumped for Maiden/Rammstein etc), but some years, more so now, there are more like 5 or 6, maybe even a few more than that who would be higher on Copping's list. 

I'm not sure why this is hard to understand. It's simple supply and demand. It works the same at any other festival. 

BMTH are big enough to headline or co-headline R+L, but this year, there were (at least) 4 acts available to the bookers who would sell more tickets. So they didn't headline it. 

Don Broco are big enough to headline Slam Dunk. But if BMTH are up for playing it in 2020, then Don Broco won't headline it. 

Neck Deep are big enough to headline 2000 Trees next year. But if 2 headliners are already secured and Don Broco are up for playing it, then Neck Deep won't headline it. 

Less Than Jake were big enough to headline The Avalanche stage at Download this year. But since they could book Bad Religion, Neck Deep and The Hives - they didn't end headline it. 

I'd say that's pretty spot on.

The problem with this model though is if they don't take a few risks to build up new 'staple headliners' eventually the pool will run dry. See MOR for evidence. 

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The problem with this model though is if they don't take a few risks to build up new 'staple headliners' eventually the pool will run dry. See MOR for evidence. 

They don't, because the acts will just default into it when there aren't three bigger headline options. :P

14 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Do you remember when My Chemical Romance headlined? They were probably the 'biggest' band in the alternative world at that point - doesn't mean they were suitable to headline Download. Same applies to BMTH - just cuz they do huge shows -largely selling tickets to one section of the rock community - doesn't make them big enough amongst the dirverse Download crowd to headline.

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

By MOR do you mean Monsters of Rock?

If so, the pool didn’t run dry.

It was only a one day festival in those days and loads of bands decided to put their own one day events on instead of playing MOR.(e.g Milton Keynes Bowl, Finsbury Park, etc)

If anything there was less chance of the well running dry in those days because there were a load of bands in their pomp and they only needed to find one band a year.

In short, there were many reasons for MOR finishing but running out of headline sized bands was not the reason.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

By MOR do you mean Monsters of Rock?

If so, the pool didn’t run dry.

It was only a one day festival in those days and loads of bands decided to put their own one day events on instead of playing MOR.(e.g Milton Keynes Bowl, Finsbury Park, etc)

If anything there was less chance of the well running dry in those days because there were a load of bands in their pomp and they only needed to find one band a year.

In short, there were many reasons for MOR finishing but running out of headline sized bands was not the reason.

So why was it cancelled in 93 then? & again in 97?  - hell, in 95 they had to change the name of the event in order to get Metallica to agree to play.

The event was stale, stuck in the 80's, refused to change with the times and so it died. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

11 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

So why was it cancelled in 93 then? & again in 97?  - hell, in 95 they had to change the name of the event in order to get Metallica to agree to play.

The event was stale, stuck in the 80's, refused to change with the times and so it died. 

It has arguably already hit that saturation point some time back. But they have much bigger backers, less competition and more of a captive audience than Monsters of Rock had back then, so I can't see it having to take the fate of MOR into consideration and crafting new headliners before they really have to.