Download 2019

Steve1000

46 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

They're definitely not.

I don't know how you can think that a band that have not been to europe or the UK for 12 years who are massive arent a bigger drawer than bands like metallica and maiden who everyone and their uncle has seen about 5 times probably without trying. 

22 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I don't know how you can think that a band that have not been to europe or the UK for 12 years who are massive arent a bigger drawer than bands like metallica and maiden who everyone and their uncle has seen about 5 times probably without trying. 

You're hugely overestimating what Tool are to the mainstream.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

And they've not released anything in 12 years either... I am stoked they're playing, and they 100% should be headlining, but GNR, AC/DC, Maiden and Metallica all have big crossover appeal to the non-metal audience unlike Tool. Go into any workplace and tell people you're off to see Tool, guaranteed, most people will shrug. Same might ask 'What are their hits?'

I love them btw.

2 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

They 100% are a bigger draw then any of them at the moment.

You are in for a shock. They'll have a smaller crowd than A7X in 14 and it will get a lot thinner after 3 songs. I also really like them BTW but they are not widely known or appreciated. Mostly their own doing too. No material for ever and if you want to check them out then you gotta buy vinyl or CD. Ok they are on youtube but not the main music streaming sites. It's not like they were a massive supergroup before they went quiet. I wasn't there in 06 but those that were say it was a small crowd.

14 minutes ago, devilman said:

You are in for a shock. They'll have a smaller crowd than A7X in 14 and it will get a lot thinner after 3 songs. I also really like them BTW but they are not widely known or appreciated. Mostly their own doing too. No material for ever and if you want to check them out then you gotta buy vinyl or CD. Ok they are on youtube but not the main music streaming sites. It's not like they were a massive supergroup before they went quiet. I wasn't there in 06 but those that were say it was a small crowd.

tbf i haven't thought about this, quite sad really. I'm probably thinking their new album will actually be out before their tour starts I think thats why they are doint it? Or its a pre tour and theyll play new songs. I guess the average music consumer doesn't really have the attention for songs greater than 3 mins haha

4 hours ago, JayBalls said:

Was wondering this myself whether the Tool army will come out in force after 13 since they last played here. 

I have seen mixed reviews on social media tbh, some love it and some aren't arsed about them. They are one of those that have to headline and it's a coup to those who care but they were never anywhere near as big here as overseas. A few even said Tool headlining, really?

3 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

They 100% are a bigger draw then any of them at the moment. They haven't been to the UK for 12 years and dare I say their new album will surely be out thats why their doing a tour.

You can see Maiden and Metallica most years somewhere in the UK most years. People are bored of them. GNR and AC/DC are arguable but still Tool havent been to the UK for 12 YEARS and they have been multiple times. 

There are about 30 people I know that have all been absolutely amazed that tool got announced and are 100% going to download, no one I know has had the same reaction with any of the bands you mentioned.  

They may not be a lot of people cup of tea but people have been waiting for tool to download again for so many years, I would be very surprised if the day tickets don't sell out fast.

GNR reunion was massively bigger than Tool playing Download, I think AC/DC are the only band to sell a day out at Download and while that was huge to get them...many complained that the setup etc and ordeal was just too much due to their demands. I actually think sales wise it would be close between Maiden/Tool based on this but Metallica no chance, they sold out a day at Reading only a few years ago and sold out main standing at Twickenham..Tool could not do that.

I also think the fact it's a less mainstream festival has an affect on the big thing of them playing at it'll calm quite quickly, for eg I think Blink in 2010 and The Libertines in 2010 at Reading when they subbed got a longer lasting reaction than this will. 

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I have seen mixed reviews on social media tbh, some love it and some aren't arsed about them. They are one of those that have to headline and it's a coup to those who care but they were never anywhere near as big here as overseas. A few even said Tool headlining, really?

GNR reunion was massively bigger than Tool playing Download, I think AC/DC are the only band to sell a day out at Download and while that was huge to get them...many complained that the setup etc and ordeal was just too much due to their demands. I actually think sales wise it would be close between Maiden/Tool based on this but Metallica no chance, they sold out a day at Reading only a few years ago and sold out main standing at Twickenham..Tool could not do that.

I also think the fact it's a less mainstream festival has an affect on the big thing of them playing at it'll calm quite quickly, for eg I think Blink in 2010 and The Libertines in 2010 at Reading when they subbed got a longer lasting reaction than this will. 

This leaves more room for me at the front fyi I'm a massive Tool fan 

Fuck. Campervan tickets went fast this afternoon. Lucky enough to get mine, but a lot of disgruntled people out there who kept refreshing and just got the ‘not available ‘ message.

really though, I’ve been in the campervan field for the last 5 years. It’s never full. They must run it at 80% capacity or something. Could sell a shitload more tickets.

Tool should sell out their day. Like how many day tickets must there be? 10,000?

Yo but seriously I'm not gonna explain it very well but I'm gonna offer an opposing view and say they could well sell out their day.

The rarity, for one, is a huge deal because Tool fans - of which there are many, for whatever reason - have been waiting for this for years and probably aren't gonna wanna miss this opportunity in case it never comes again. Also I would actually say that they reach quite far outside of metal - whether those people were ever into metal or whether they had 'a phase' and Tool were the only band who went away rather than gradually getting worse, I'm not sure, but they do as far as I can tell.

GNR or AC/DC getting announced at Download is mainly good for people who are already Download fans. The people that see those mega-bands have been doing for years and won't be jumping at the chance to go see them at Donington when they've been saving up to go see them around Europe or whatever. Those bookings are weekend ticket sellers.

I don't think weekend tickets will sell out here but yeah, I could certainly picture Sunday tickets being depleted.

4 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

They 100% are a bigger draw then any of them at the moment. They haven't been to the UK for 12 years and dare I say their new album will surely be out thats why their doing a tour.

You can see Maiden and Metallica most years somewhere in the UK most years. People are bored of them. GNR and AC/DC are arguable but still Tool havent been to the UK for 12 YEARS and they have been multiple times. 

There are about 30 people I know that have all been absolutely amazed that tool got announced and are 100% going to download, no one I know has had the same reaction with any of the bands you mentioned.  

They may not be a lot of people cup of tea but people have been waiting for tool to download again for so many years, I would be very surprised if the day tickets don't sell out fast.

I like the cut of your jist, have an upvote

Don't see the Tool day selling out myself. They're big, but I just don't see them having THAT many fans who have stuck around for the past decade+ hankering for their return and willing to go to Download to see them. Sure there will be a bunch, but I struggle to see it being enough for a sell out.

Gonna volunteer at this I think. Happy to see Slipknot again, and Tool will probably be good too. Die Antwoord were sick at Leeds a couple of years back so would like to catch them again. 

Only issue is that my mate I've got on board to volunteer with me has picked out Def Leppard as his must see act of the weekend ffs lol. Gonna put the money down literally the minute the volunteering opens so we can get first dibs on shifts. Don't suppose anyone has ever done it before? I'm hoping there is a schedule to get on where you can see all three headliners, cos I don't wanna see Def Leppard at the expense of one of the other headliners (or at all). Managed to be free at headliner time for all 3 days at Green Man so hopefully same again here. Slightly different festival tho.

Really hope Jimmy Eat World are there. Never seen them so that'd be cool. They're in Newcastle the night after City play up there in January so I'm looking into that but don't think it's gonna work out. Coheed and Cambria would be decent too; I enjoyed them when I saw them at Leeds but they got like a half hour slot in the early afternoon so not much of a set. Don't really care about a lot of music that suits here so not too fussed on the whole, it'll be good to get into some new stuff. Code Orange are a band one of my mates always bangs on about so get them on the lineup and I'll finally properly get round to them. Deftones didn't blow me away when I saw them in Manchester a while ago, but I'd obviously see them again as they're fucking Deftones. 

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Gonna volunteer at this I think. Happy to see Slipknot again, and Tool will probably be good too. Die Antwoord were sick at Leeds a couple of years back so would like to catch them again. 

Only issue is that my mate I've got on board to volunteer with me has picked out Def Leppard as his must see act of the weekend ffs lol. Gonna put the money down literally the minute the volunteering opens so we can get first dibs on shifts. Don't suppose anyone has ever done it before? I'm hoping there is a schedule to get on where you can see all three headliners, cos I don't wanna see Def Leppard at the expense of one of the other headliners (or at all). Managed to be free at headliner time for all 3 days at Green Man so hopefully same again here. Slightly different festival tho.

Really hope Jimmy Eat World are there. Never seen them so that'd be cool. They're in Newcastle the night after City play up there in January so I'm looking into that but don't think it's gonna work out. Coheed and Cambria would be decent too; I enjoyed them when I saw them at Leeds but they got like a half hour slot in the early afternoon so not much of a set. Don't really care about a lot of music that suits here so not too fussed on the whole, it'll be good to get into some new stuff. Code Orange are a band one of my mates always bangs on about so get them on the lineup and I'll finally properly get round to them. Deftones didn't blow me away when I saw them in Manchester a while ago, but I'd obviously see them again as they're fucking Deftones. 

Awh mate thats a real head scratcher right there haha. I really don't see the appeal of Def Leppard never have.

Edited by Xeph1995

7 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Awh mate thats a real head scratcher right there haha. I really don't see the appeal of Def Leppard never have.

I know next to nothing about them tbh. Googled the names of their hits the other day after they were announced and I only recognised Pour Some Sugar On Me. That's enough for me to know I'm not interested haha. 

Edited by Odessa

2 hours ago, battleborn said:

Also can anyone explain to my what Die Antwoord are actually meant to be parodying?

Themselves, hip hop artists and rappers. They don't give a shit and laugh at themselves and everyone else. I like that. It's really refreshing in this day and age. this vid cracks me up:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I know next to nothing about them tbh. Googled the names of their hits the other day after they were announced and I only recognised Pour Some Sugar On Me. That's enough for me to know I'm not interested haha. 

Willing to bet you'll have more fun seeing them than the other headliners.

2 minutes ago, devilman said:

Themselves, hip hop artists and rappers. They don't give a shit and laugh at themselves and everyone else. I like that. It's really refreshing in this day and age.

I'm glad Download is embracing them. It's the sort of ridiculous, antagonistic shit that has kinda gone missing from rock and metal, to some extent. Hope they sub.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Willing to bet you'll have more fun seeing them than the other headliners.

I hope you're right but Slipknot is obv gonna go off lol. I'll stick a few Leppard tunes on tonight; I'll probably know more than I realise tbf. It's one of them where it might be a laugh if I've had enough to drink and don't take it v seriously.