Download 2019

Steve1000

I don’t think Mantra went down as well as they would have hoped. Other than the initial few days after it came out, I haven’t seen anyone online discussing BMTH. I don’t think it helps either that they are touring without a new album. 

I think they’ve missed the headlining boat, perhaps. TTS has way more hype behind it. 

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think Mantra went down as well as they would have hoped. Other than the initial few days after it came out, I haven’t seen anyone online discussing BMTH. 

I think they’ve missed the headlining boat, perhaps. TTS has way more hype behind it. 

It was huge wheb it came out and they needed another one. I could actually listen to a couple of songs given I'm not a fan again comfortably but MANTRA no interest. Get ready for your £2.50 tickets in the summer .

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think Mantra went down as well as they would have hoped. Other than the initial few days after it came out, I haven’t seen anyone online discussing BMTH. 

I wouldn't say they've missed the boat, but it definitely seems like this should've been the year to make their major festival headliner debut and it's weird that that isn't the case.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

So both fests have bolted at booking BMTH who are now going going to attempt to sell their own outdoor show...much like QOTSA probably as they weren't given top spot themselves either....but sell really bad!

Both festivals are put on by the same company - which is also putting on the outdoor show. I don't know how you can have been here so long and still think they're separate, competing entities.

FR can, to an extent, decide what to do with them. For QOTSA, they clearly felt that headlining Finsbury Park was the best option - and it's not because they are a failure, as they clearly sold more tickets than Avenged Sevenfold would have, but because it makes the most business sense.

Same could be true of Bring Me the Horizon. Like QOTSA, they appeal to a broad audience that probably won't be that willing to head to Donington on their name alone. So Festival Republic might as well have them attempt to sell 45,000 tickets in the capital and stick fuckin Korn on at Download because that fits with the festival and is gonna appeal to the sort of people that will be strongly considering Download.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Early birds come off sale on Tuesday so hopefully that indicates that we are going to get lineup news sooner rather than later. 

I am not expecting it to happen because of the R&L info but if Foos do end up playing Download then Slipknot, Foos & Def Leppard is a decent set of headliners. 

Edited by Andre91

Foos playing the Saturday would be a big ticket shifter. What would a Foos day at Download look like? They didn’t exactly cater to Muse at all (not that they should). 

Foo Fighters / Deftones / Alice In Chains / Clutch / Coheed and Cambria / While She Sleeps / State Champs / Black Peaks 

That’d be a nice time. 

Foos would look every bit the weak little princesses that they are with those 3 bands before them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them at Download, even if it was just to confirm how overrated they are. They've got some great tunes but it just seemed bland and wishy washy last time I saw them. My friends like them though so it would please me that they would be deliriously happy and maybe if Dave plays Download maybe a few of the less heavy headline size acts will too.

I'd defo put them at IOW over Download if R&L info is wrong. God imagine if the only correct one is TOP, Foo's aren't against returning as a one off though and it is Reading.

I thought The Prodigy, M&S and Muse but Foo's over Muse works. It would also be well away from any of their other UK shows they have done. I like them but it's too much dragging out the same songs when they could just fit another 3/4 in.

Every year these forums talk about who is likely, or wanted, to headline. Realistically though, how likely is it to get anything new this time around? The likes of FF, Green Day, RHCP and even Bon Jovi have done many UK shows but don’t appear to come near DL. The last genuine surprise was Muse and that was a breath of fresh air for the festival (and one of the best hl slots I’ve seen).

much as I hope for something new,  the pessimist in me tells me it won’t happen. Def Lep and slipknot here we come.

39 minutes ago, Moey said:

Every year these forums talk about who is likely, or wanted, to headline. Realistically though, how likely is it to get anything new this time around? The likes of FF, Green Day, RHCP and even Bon Jovi have done many UK shows but don’t appear to come near DL. The last genuine surprise was Muse and that was a breath of fresh air for the festival (and one of the best hl slots I’ve seen).

much as I hope for something new,  the pessimist in me tells me it won’t happen. Def Lep and slipknot here we come.

Guess all it takes is for the right offer to come along, tour dates to line up or bands to have a change of heart, so it's about as likely as any other year. It probably will be the same old acts again but what with that small selection of acts growing increasingly smaller with band break ups etc I'm sure they'll be upping the offers to get other acts on board.

I understand that people love bands like Metallica and Maiden and I do aswell, but they're not gonna be around in the next 10 yrs and where are we gonna be then? We need new headliners that are gonna be able to play them big shows in 10/20 yrs. People are so closed minded with who should headline, Download doesn't just cover metal anymore they're are so many different types of bands beyond the main stage that one day should be up there. I'm honestly sick of seeing the likes of Maiden and Rammstein  up there every 3 yrs it's like copping chooses the easy way out with repeats, even though Muse and Biffy were a risk they still turned out amazing shows, just wish they'd but some newer bands on the headline or even subbing and give them a chance.

38 minutes ago, amberbethan said:

I understand that people love bands like Metallica and Maiden and I do aswell, but they're not gonna be around in the next 10 yrs and where are we gonna be then? We need new headliners that are gonna be able to play them big shows in 10/20 yrs. People are so closed minded with who should headline, Download doesn't just cover metal anymore they're are so many different types of bands beyond the main stage that one day should be up there. I'm honestly sick of seeing the likes of Maiden and Rammstein  up there every 3 yrs it's like copping chooses the easy way out with repeats, even though Muse and Biffy were a risk they still turned out amazing shows, just wish they'd but some newer bands on the headline or even subbing and give them a chance.

Forgot about Biffy.

so from 2015-2018 we had muse and Biffy as new headliners, you could argue GnR in to that too I guess.

So maybe 1new headliner every other year isn’t awful. Would be better to have 1 new per year, but highly unlikely.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, Andre91 said:

Looks sadly like you might be right. Would have loved to see them get a crack at the top spot at one of the major festivals. Likely that, save Amo doing business equal to TTS, they are destined to miss out altogether. Shame.

1 hour ago, amberbethan said:

I'm honestly sick of seeing the likes of Maiden and Rammstein  up there every 3 yrs

Rammstein have played twice. Once was amazing and the last one was blighted by weather and sound issues. I'd happily have them back to put that right.

4 hours ago, Moey said:

how likely is it to get anything new this time around?

We're due a new one.

1 hour ago, amberbethan said:

Having "newer" bands headlining doesn't sell massive amount of tickets tho