Download 2019

Steve1000

21 minutes ago, devilman said:

As a BOC fan it's no surprise I like Ghost but heavy? LOL. I'm surprised they are even accepted by any metal fans. If they branded themselves differently I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be. A lot of old Metallica fans are gonna be like WTF??????

I only got into Ghost on Meliora but had seen them about for years and was so surprised when I made the effort to listen to them for the first time. Their image and sound couldn’t be more disparate. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t know what you’ve been listening to but Ghost have never been heavy. Ever. From Opus Eponymous through to Prequelle they’ve always been massively influenced by Blue Oyster Cult and other classic 70/80s heavy metal bands. Your example of Pinnacle to the Pit having ‘that Rock attitude’ is weird. That’s off of Meliora, which came out three years ago. Compare it to songs like Faith or Rats off of Prequelle and there is no dip in the ‘heaviness’. 

You do realise that Cardinal Copia and all of the Papas are the same man, right? Tobias Forge is Ghost. It doesn’t matter which character he is portraying, he writes all of the music and it’s all his vision. 

What a genuinely weird couple of posts about Ghost. 

I agree it's always been there but that arena rock element has gradually come to the fore. Like there were only really dashes of it on the debut, then more and more. I've enjoyed each new album a bit less than the one before, and the last one was really too rich for my tastes, but their allure is largely in the panto of it all anyway so who gives a shit? I'll support them having their moment, for sure.

I don't think it's all that dissimilar to Rammstein, who aren't the heaviest band and don't take themselves super seriously either but they're metal royalty for, I guess, just what they stand for and appealing to that crowd more than any other.

edit: I think they shoulda changed their name to Ghost B.C. worldwide by now, though. You ever heard of a massive band that's called different things in different countries? Easier to Google anyway, and less spooky.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I agree it's always been there but that arena rock element has gradually come to the fore. Like there were only really dashes of it on the debut, then more and more. I've enjoyed each new album a bit less than the one before, and the last one was really too rich for my tastes, but their allure is largely in the panto of it all anyway so who gives a shit? I'll support them having their moment, for sure.

I don't think it's all that dissimilar to Rammstein, who aren't the heaviest band and don't take themselves super seriously either but they're metal royalty for, I guess, just what they stand for and appealing to that crowd more than any other.

edit: I think they shoulda changed their name to Ghost B.C. worldwide by now, though. You ever heard of a massive band that's called different things in different countries? Easier to Google anyway, and less spooky.

Yeah, I get that, dude. Your man up there though was making it sound as if Ghost has completely changed into something that they never have been before, which is false. I like the new album but not as much as Meliora. It’s very grand and bombastic and that’s not really my thing but there are quite a few excellent tracks on there. I’m really glad they’re getting so big. 

They haven’t been called Ghost B.C. in the States for a few years now, though, if I remember correctly. They weren’t obligated to use that after 2015. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t know what you’ve been listening to but Ghost have never been heavy. Ever. From Opus Eponymous through to Prequelle they’ve always been massively influenced by Blue Oyster Cult and other classic 70/80s heavy metal bands. Your example of Pinnacle to the Pit having ‘that Rock attitude’ is weird. That’s off of Meliora, which came out three years ago. Compare it to songs like Faith or Rats off of Prequelle and there is no dip in the ‘heaviness’. 

You do realise that Cardinal Copia and all of the Papas are the same man, right? Tobias Forge is Ghost. It doesn’t matter which character he is portraying, he writes all of the music and it’s all his vision. 

What a genuinely weird couple of posts about Ghost. 

Making music for ‘people to like Metal who shouldn’t’ is a really sad and pathetic thing to say and genuinely winds me up, as if everyone who likes metal came out the womb screaming Sandblasted Skin. How else are people going to get into metal music unless they find that first band to expose them to it? That ‘they don’t usually like metal’ artitude is toxic and a massive problem. 

You seem to view feelings that are at a level 5 of anguish at a 10. IDK what music you've been listening to from the band but not only have they been heavy with every album besides Prequlle, but they have widened their popularity within the rock community by making albums that have combined more and more subgenres to make their sound more experimented. I say that with Prequlle has made them become severally less of a rock and especially METAL act, leaving them to the likes of soft rock and pop rock as far as their technical genre.

You are a very weird person to judge someone of their posts without having a clue of what their conveying.

People who listen to Metal listen to it because of the feeling of predisposed hidden anger and revolt that they have in them, Ghost as of Post Prequlle do not provide that feeling AT ALL within their music, and if you want to jump to prejudgment lad then you are a prick and an idiot for stating things about a band that aren't true at all stating in which they are.

Ghost have NEVER been influenced by the likes of "Blue Oyster Cult" - One Hit Wonders from Long Island LOL

Some realistic ones could be cited as Iron Maiden, UFO, Yes, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, etc.

For a "teacher" I sure hope your not in the arts program, you'll probably stick brushes on they minor keys eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

People who listen to Metal listen to it because of the feeling of predisposed hidden anger and revolt that they have in them

Ghost have NEVER been influenced by the likes of "Blue Oyster Cult" 

What are you talking about :lol:? Ghost are not less of a rock band now that they’ve been before. They are still very much a rock band, they’re not a pop band. I agree on your point of hem gradually bringing in more influences but to say they’re less of a rock band now is mad. 

That comment of why people listen to metal might be the cringiest thing I’ve ever read on a forum. If that’s why people listen to metal then Ghost ain’t the band for that. 

If you can’t hear the BOC influence in Ghost then you don’t like Ghost very much. They are a huge, huge influence. 

Edited by Andre91

8 hours ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

You seem to view feelings that are at a level 5 of anguish at a 10. IDK what music you've been listening to from the band but not only have they been heavy with every album besides Prequlle, but they have widened their popularity within the rock community by making albums that have combined more and more subgenres to make their sound more experimented. I say that with Prequlle has made them become severally less of a rock and especially METAL act, leaving them to the likes of soft rock and pop rock as far as their technical genre.

You are a very weird person to judge someone of their posts without having a clue of what their conveying.

People who listen to Metal listen to it because of the feeling of predisposed hidden anger and revolt that they have in them, Ghost as of Post Prequlle do not provide that feeling AT ALL within their music, and if you want to jump to prejudgment lad then you are a prick and an idiot for stating things about a band that aren't true at all stating in which they are.

Ghost have NEVER been influenced by the likes of "Blue Oyster Cult" - One Hit Wonders from Long Island LOL

Some realistic ones could be cited as Iron Maiden, UFO, Yes, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, etc.

For a "teacher" I sure hope your not in the arts program, you'll probably stick brushes on they minor keys eh?

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ghost-cite-abba-as-main-influence

People should listen to whatever music they want for whatever reason they have. It's music, people should enjoy themselves.

10 hours ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

I think you ought to go and have a lie down. Talk about getting rattled. 

Ghost have literally, literally covered bands like Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode. To say they were influenced by BOC isn't much of a stretch. 

The notion that metal isn't for certain people is a genuinely loathsome statement and fully warrants being pissed all over. Plus we're talking about Download for christ sake. It's a fun, mostly metal festival that nonetheless covers a broader spectrum of heavy music. Ghost more than qualify, new stuff included. To even suggest they don't is some absolutely baffling exercise in cognitive dissonance or simply not understanding the audience. It's got pop punk. It's got wrestling. It's full of kids. All these things are great.

It sounds like one or two of you would be better off sticking to smaller festivals full of bands that spell magic with K because even though they're pragmatic realists they still kinda dig dressing up in spooky symbols and pretending to themselves that a little bit of chaos occultism is real because, goddammit it, I'm from a cold country and I'm pissed off at society. 

Jesus. 

Edited by SmokeSoapBar
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I'm pretty sure there's some people go to Download who given the right line up wouldn't leave Avalanche all weekend. You've probably more right to say they listen to pop-punk because of a desire to revolt than the fuckers who hang around near by main stage all day with their camping chairs and blankets. Either way you'd be talking bollocks....

Which bit is bollocks? 

I'm not talking about anybody's right to revolt. I'm making the point that Download is a varied festival. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, battleborn said:

I was adding to your comment, my words were more directed at @RockCatNamedBob's assertion - laughable as it is - that we all listen to metal because we have some hidden desire to revolt.

Gotcha!

Anyway, we all revolt in our own way. I'm sure somebodies dad somewhere is mortified that his kid is listening to some weird mix of Kiss and Abba where the main bloke dresses as a priest. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, battleborn said:

I'm pretty sure there's some people go to Download who given the right line up wouldn't leave Avalanche all weekend. You've probably more right to say they listen to pop-punk because of a desire to revolt than the fuckers who hang around near by main stage all day with their camping chairs and blankets. Either way you'd be talking bollocks....

The people who go to avalanche stage are the ones who stop download from having amazing line ups. 

Their is absolutely nothing about listening to "pop punk" and revolting. Also theres another stage than main to see bands. Pop punk is a terrible genre of trash its almost on par with metalcore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, Xeph1995 said:

The people who go to avalanche stage are the ones who stop download from having amazing line ups. 

Their is absolutely nothing about listening to "pop punk" and revolting. Also theres another stage than main to see bands. Pop punk is a terrible genre of trash its almost on par with metalcore. 

I mean, if you only count the terrible Pop Punk and Metalcore then I guess you're right.