Download 2019

Steve1000

I wouldn’t be mad at KoRn getting the push. They are a legendary band at this point with a huge back catalogue and can play a two hour set with ease. They always go down a storm at Download every time they play. I think headlining has been a long time coming for them and if DL existed in the late 90s / early 00s they would already be an established headliner. Not to mention that they are at the absolutely peak of their live powers these days. They are outstanding live. 

Like Dental said, the amount of headliners that DL can rely on seems to be decreasing with every passing year. KoRn seem like a natural choice. I think that if they were announced as Friday headliners they would go down very well. 

47 minutes ago, justanothername said:

How are Korn suddenly headliners? In 2011 they subbed the 2nd stage, 3rd on main in 2013 and subbed the main in 2016. What have they done to slowly creep up the line up exactly?

They've definitely got bigger. You wouldn't get a second stage sub sell out Manchester arena at 60 odd quid a pop.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think that if they were announced as Friday headliners they would go down very well. 

I'm sure it would come with a lot of the fighting that Andy Copping will inevitably do on Twitter with people saying "I saw them sub Rammstein so why would I want to see them headline? Couldn't afford Pearl Jam?". But then it'll blow over and other similar festivals will start announcing them to headline and people will just accept it and go along.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

They've definitely got bigger. You wouldn't get a second stage sub sell out Manchester arena at 60 odd quid a pop.

They did it as a joint co-headline gig, they didn't sell out Manchester Arena on their own. Korn aren't headlining Download here next year unless they've really not got anyone else and fucked! 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, justanothername said:

What have they done to slowly creep up the line up exactly?

I dunno what caused the hype, but there was a hype and lots of people went to their live shows and they showed at those live shows that they are as good as anyone live which caused a bit of hype for their live shows :)

I could see Korn & Deftones 'co-headlining' in the future if Download goes the same way as R&L & lets be honest it could come to a point when they may not have a choice...

Look at the bands that have/are going to retire recently: Ozzy, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Motley Crue & Slayer. Pretty soon you can add Maiden, Def Leppard, Judas Priest & Kiss to that list too. Linkin Park are obviously no more. Metallica can't go on forever... Who does that leave them with? Slipknot & Rammstein every year? Even if you factor in rarer acts like Tool there's still no doubt that their headliner pool is getting pretty thin. 

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It's not what they've done, it's what other bands are doing. Retiring, dying, etc.

I suppose that's true :lol: 

5 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

True but I still can't figure out how they've gotten bigger. It's not like their latest albums are blowing people. Also that Manchester arena date wasn't sold out (not even with the top level of seating cut off) and that was a strong co headline tour with Limp Bizket they had there.

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A KoRn headline set would be banger central. Their last album had 3/4 really great songs on and as long as the next one has the same I see no reason why they wouldn’t get the push. When a band is as far into their career as KoRn are, 3/4 solid songs per album is all you can ask for. 

I mean, Deftones and Converge have been around for longer and still pulling out 8 and 9 out of 10 albums. I will have still have a high standard for my metal regardless of how old you are :P 

I will point out that a KoRn headline set wont shock me and I think it would go down well it's just that they've seemed to have done nothing noteworthy in the past few years to push them to that level. I've always imagined Deftones around the same size/slightly bigger and I can't imagine them headlining anytime soon. I guess they're better than those shitty mid 00s Indie bands that seemed to have gotten resurgences in popularity for no reason so that's good.

No doubt they could co-headline with Bizkit,Deftones or someone but not headline outright.

Theyd definitely play last though so technically headlining( promoters can say co-headline as much as they want but the last band on are always considered headliners,see Panic at the Disco in Reading this year)

They are on top form at the moment and Jonathan Davis is a great,experienced frontman so would go down a storm 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

A KoRn headline set would be banger central. Their last album had 3/4 really great songs on and as long as the next one has the same I see no reason why they wouldn’t get the push. When a band is as far into their career as KoRn are, 3/4 solid songs per album is all you can ask for. 

at this point even 1 would manage xD

17 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

No doubt they could co-headline with Bizkit,Deftones or someone but not headline outright.

Theyd definitely play last though so technically headlining( promoters can say co-headline as much as they want but the last band on are always considered headliners,see Panic at the Disco in Reading this year)

They are on top form at the moment and Jonathan Davis is a great,experienced frontman so would go down a storm 

Without alternation I see no point in attaching another headliner. No one’s gonna be buttered up by the promise of Deftones headlining in the same slot they’ve already played.

Leaving aside the nu metal for the moment, KISS have announced their End of the Road World Tour.

One assumes there's going to be a UK date of some kind on this jaunt; so the question remains whether it's going to be Download or a short run of arena dates. 

(It could just end up being two nights at The O2 if they're feeling lazy; there's a part of me hoping that whatever plans they have includes a Manchester show to make up for the expected cancellation last May.)

If KISS do crop up, does that rule out the likelihood of Slipknot, given they were both atop the bill in '15? I'd wager not.

Going to revise my shout; plumping for Slipknot, Metallica and Kiss.

4 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Leaving aside the nu metal for the moment, KISS have announced their End of the Road World Tour.

One assumes there's going to be a UK date of some kind on this jaunt; so the question remains whether it's going to be Download or a short run of arena dates. 

(It could just end up being two nights at The O2 if they're feeling lazy; there's a part of me hoping that whatever plans they have includes a Manchester show to make up for the expected cancellation last May.)

If KISS do crop up, does that rule out the likelihood of Slipknot, given they were both atop the bill in '15? I'd wager not.

Going to revise my shout; plumping for Slipknot, Metallica and Kiss.

I would keep my pockets closed too on that, repeats within 2 bands have happened before; Rammstein & Maiden in both 2013 and 2016, 2019 could very well be that with maggots and latex instead of fire and more fire.

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Rammstein just adding the finishing touches to their new album. If two years ago they decided to tour late on apropos of nothing and Download instantly booted a headliner into touch to accommodate them, I see no way that the festival doesn’t snap them up again with something new to promote.

Maybe Rammstein is Sunday instead of an oldie...

34 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It is absolutely not going to be Ozzy again for the Saturday you mad man :lol: 

Why not? Zakk will cut the chords again for sure!

O                   2

Z                    0

Z                   1

Y                   9