Download 2019

Steve1000

26 minutes ago, huntyyy said:

+ slot at Glastonbury 2019 and you'll be bang on the money. Download will be the first UK shows (bar the album release shows) after the album is released. The arena tour in December 2019 will be the "album tour", and R and L will be the only UK shows of 2020.

Glastonbury again? I doubt it. They were a bit of an anomaly being booked in 2016 and were in a lower position than they would’ve had at most festivals - I don’t see them accepting a similar lower slot this time and I also don’t see them being offered anything higher. They’ve done Glastonbury now - time to cement themselves as major festival headliners.

• Like 1

BMTH will headline R/L next year because they will fit in and be welcome there. At DL half the crowd will want to chuck piss at them. They had the chance last time they toured. They had to 80% sell out the tour. They didn't. They may well do so this time with the pop kids they have picked up with their change in direction. Those kids aren't going to dL because there is nothing else there for them. QoTSA got Finsbury Park instead of the headline slot after their secret set. I don't know if this was more lucrative or not or whether it had something to do with other touring plans but I'm pretty sure LN wish they were playing instead of PATD or FOB :) 

Nobody would chuck piss at them at Download, stop being silly. They would be just fine at Download. Stick something on the second stage like Alice In Chains, Disturbed or KSE and it’d be fine. 

As for your ‘pop kids’, those kids are also into bands like Architects and Enter Shikari and a lot of the types of bands who get booked on the Avalanche Stage each year. There would be plenty of people at Download excited by BMTH being given a headline slot. 

DL needs new headliners and BMTH are the obvious choice. 

Reading has ‘sold out’ with PATD and FOB playing so I don’t think they’ll be that arsed that they don’t have QOTSA there this year. 

Edited by Andre91

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Dental is right, Download and R&L don’t compete for headliners. I can see it maybe going like this: 

R&L get the secret set this year. 

UK tour runs until late November. 

Album comes out January. 

American festivals like Rock on the Range etc through to the end of May. 

Come back over and play UK, French and Spanish Downloads in June (probably only headlining UK) 

Announce a bigger UK arena run in the autum for Jan / Feb 2020. 

Headline R&L 2020 as the last UK shows of the ‘amo’ run. 

Personally I think they'll still headline Reading but I get why some motion had switched the thinking Download. One thing for sure i though that BMTH, Slipknot and Def Leppard would go down like a lead balloon. On top of that, after a arena tour in November, a Download slot...I don't think Glasto will happen either, plus a big arena tour back end of next year, they aren't playing R&L after all that. I agree with the rest and maybe even the other Downloads but Copping can say what he wants, at the end of the day he books the biggest he can at the time as he 'can't' afford not to get Maiden or Rammstein etc. The thing is here he doesn't even have Sonisphere to compete with them anymore and hasn't for a while.

40 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Nobody would chuck piss at them at Download, stop being silly. They would be just fine at Download. Stick something on the second stage like Alice In Chains, Disturbed or KSE and it’d be fine. 

As for your ‘pop kids’, those kids are also into bands like Architects and Enter Shikari and a lot of the types of bands who get booked on the Avalanche Stage each year. There would be plenty of people at Download excited by BMTH being given a headline slot. 

DL needs new headliners and BMTH are the obvious choice. 

Reading has ‘sold out’ with PATD and FOB playing so I don’t think they’ll be that arsed that they don’t have QOTSA there this year. 

Firstly in what world do KSE headline second stage?, they are not the size of AIC and definitely not Disturbed who would play above headlining second.

Most defo, friends of mine like the band and are big fans of Architects and Shikari. To be honest they would be into a lot of the Avalanche stage too but that's best left for our better and much cheaper neighbor in SD.

• Downvote 1

Friday - BMTH/ Disturbed/ LOG

Dropkick Murphys

Saturday - Slipknot/ Slayer or Ghost/ Architects

Alice In Chains

Sunday - AC/DC/ Trivium/ Skindred 

KSE

I think Enter Shikari missed their shot to play this year, disturbed will be a much more hyped band by the time of download.

Edited by RockCatNamedBob

Bring Me The Horizon / Disturbed / Architects / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / While She Sleeps 

Alice In Chains / Clutch 

Slipknot / Slayer (final UK show) / Trivium / Lamb of God / Amon Amarth 

Don Broco / Alkaline Trio 

Def Leppard (Hysteria) / Judas Priest / Halestorm / Stone Temple Pilots / Coheed and Cambria 

Ghost / Killswitch Engage 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Is there a reason you guys think Disturbed will play higher in 2019 than their post-hiatus show in 2016?

Draimen has said that Evolution is potentially supposed to be their "Black Album" pushing them into a more popular fandom than earlier in their music career. I personally think they'd be a perfect undercard beneath BMTH bc they themselves might headline in the next 5 years or so, and they have a huge fanbase; almost a big as BMTH TBF.

But who knows I heard the new single from disturbed and I think it's really soft for the band but I think the same can be said of Mantra. 

Edited by RockCatNamedBob

2 minutes ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

Draimen has said that Evolution is potentially supposed to be their "Black Album" pushing them into a more popular fandom than earlier in their music career. I personally think they'd be a perfect undercard beneath BMTH bc they themselves might headline in the next 5 years or so, and they have a huge fanbase; almost a big as BMTH TBF.

But who knows I heard the new single from disturbed and I think it's really soft for the band but I think the same can be said of Mantra. 

Disturbed will never headline.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Disturbed will never headline Download. Their fan base clearly isn’t as big as BMTH’s, otherwise they would be playing in arenas too. 

As for them playing higher than 2016, I think they’d make a great Zippo headliner but with a new album and a bit of a push I wouldn’t find sub that much of a stretch so that’s why I stuck them there. They will definitely play but can’t see them doing third down again so it’s either Zippo headline or main stage sub. 

Deftones under BMTH would be rad with Disturbed headlining Zippo against them. 

Edited by Andre91

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Disturbed will never headline Download. Their fan base clearly isn’t as big as BMTH’s, otherwise they would be playing in arenas too. 

As for them playing higher than 2016, I think they’d make a great Zippo headliner but with a new album and a bit of a push I wouldn’t find sub that much of a stretch so that’s why I stuck them there. They will definitely play but can’t see them doing third down again so it’s either Zippo headline or main stage sub. 

I think they could sub but on a year like this year where a shed load of money paid for a huge headliner, Zippo doesn't really fit. Plus they are bigger than a lot of Zippo headliners. 

Edited by thewayiam

48 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think they could sub but on a year like this year where a shed load of money paid for a huge headliner, Zippo doesn't really fit. Plus they are bigger than a lot of Zippo headliners. 

I don’t think they’re bigger than a lot of Zippo headliners. We’ve had Parkway Drive, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson and Slayer do it in recent years and I don’t think Disturbed are bigger than any of those. 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think they’re bigger than a lot of Zippo headliners. We’ve had Parkway Drive, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson and Slayer do it in recent years and I don’t think Disturbed are bigger than any of those. 

At that time they were, they had done Wembley Arena at least, MM maybe not but even he went through just a standard academy tour. I think they are bigger that Slayer and unfortunately it's for doing a sellout record that made them more accessible to a wider range of fans like many rock bands are doing now.

There is one's like RA though and Sum 41 of recent maybe that may not play higher than 4th...on a normal year. B4MV for example playing sub this year is crazy....they aren't close to that level now but I get why.

17 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Deftones i agree on 100% but with Disturbed on the other hand i don't as @thewayiam says, they are bigger than most other 2nd stage headliners as far as sales and venues. If their new materiel gets a big enough push in sales then they will be bumped up to sub-headline if they play. If the album does not reach that degree of satisfaction then i'd say you're right about them headlining 2nd vs. being 3rd down for the 3rd time there. Being under BMTH or Slipknot would be a huge step for the band to make being download is a uk festival, the band is already headlining rock on the range so all they need to push their next album to the level Draimen wants would to be in direct support to the most anticipated new headliner in the rock/metal community right now.

In short they deserve more so to sub if the album does well vs just playing the same set they have for their last 2 gig @ download.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

Deftones i agree on 100% but with Disturbed on the other hand i don't as @thewayiam says, they are bigger than most other 2nd stage headliners as far as sales and venues. If their new materiel gets a big enough push in sales then they will be bumped up to sub-headline if they play. If the album does not reach that degree of satisfaction then i'd say you're right about them headlining 2nd vs. being 3rd down for the 3rd time there. Being under BMTH or Slipknot would be a huge step for the band to make being download is a uk festival, the band is already headlining rock on the range so all they need to push their next album to the level Draimen wants would to be in direct support to the most anticipated new headliner in the rock/metal community right now.

In short they deserve more so to sub if the album does well vs just playing the same set they have for their last 2 gig @ download.

Parkway and Slayer are now in arenas and Rob Zombie and Manson have been too. Disturbed were in arenas but only supporting A7X. They aren’t as big as those bands. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Parkway and Slayer are now in arenas and Rob Zombie and Manson have been too. Disturbed were in arenas but only supporting A7X. They aren’t as big as those bands. 

Let's looks at this though, Parkway are doing Notts, Cardiff which is 5k....it's basically Brixton if we're honest and Ally Pally...it's not even Wembley Arena. As for Slayer, they are on a final world tour...the exact reason people are saying for them to sub Download as their final UK show. Without these circumstances they aren't touching an arena tour....it's a bit similar to people saying Elton John can't sell out Bristol City Stadium and question topping Glastonbury but for a final farewell he could do it or a bigger show and be okay. All I'm saying is let's not make things seem bigger than they are, there is no Wembley's, Birmingham Arenas or Manchester in there, I believe Rob Zombie also only hit arena's as part of a joint tour with MM. Just like with Korn/Bizkit, they catered for it with the right two acts generally...without that the only act out of all them that is verging that level is PD but in Manchester they are doing the Apollo. It's like Courteeners hitting a couple of areas but their tour is much bigger.

They were only the second band on the main stage in 2016 so 3rd down is definitely a stretch for them, 4th sounds about right (if the album sells well). Though the positioning of the rest of the bands is gonna depend on how much they spend on the headliners. 

Like, I would have never expected Marmozets to be so high up the main stage this year. 

I just wanna see Tool headline.... please copping id sacrifice my first born for that. 

Also Deftones deserve a headline slot before anyone else, deftones are multitudes better than a7x will ever bee but where given the bump? Wtf is that.

BMTH are terrible if they headlined it would be a sad day for download, id rather see just about anything. I cant imagine now anyone could enjoy their music...

• Downvote 3