Toddlers around the site

Fred Zepplin

So it looks like a lot of you will have babies/toddlers next year and we will have our own 18 month old. I know it is still along time away but I don’t want to spend a fortune getting a carrying system so hoping to get one second hand so starting to look now. For those who have taken toddlers what have you used to get your little one around the site? I’ve seen a lot of people using trolleys but I’ve used a trolley to get stuff on site and found it a lot harder to pull rather than push so want something to push really. I’ve been looking around and have seen these which look good 

https://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/24/48484/out-n-about-nipper-sport-v4-stroller-steel-grey/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImOnJ66jx2AIV75PtCh0yAgMEEAQYCSABEgJYRvD_BwE

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2017-WeeRide-Deluxe-Trailer-Jogger-Stroller-Everything-Is-In-The-Box/182849785047?epid=5012040710&hash=item2a92b24cd7:g:cgwAAOSwykZZ7Wvy

what do you think to them?

Good chunky wheels for use in mud as well.......Im be taking my 2 for the first time hopefully in 2019 and going to be looking for something like that but that can have room for 2 kids, and be suitable for slightly older kids my 2 will be 4 and 7 by then and theyll both be up for a fair bit of walking but even my  7 year old will  get tired and want to sit down eventually, glastonburys a big place, even bigger when your taking 2-3 steps to everyone of your parents.

OK so I've just found out  one week ago...  that I'm to be a granddad again.. We had our two grandchildren at Glastonbury for one day last year and they loved it and will now be going every year.. Tix God's depending... Anyway my point being is that it's great having kids around. 

It may not be PC nowadays but when I'm walking around the site hammered more than usual and see a couple either pulling kids in those buggy things other just letting them run around I have to say a few words to the parents like fair play to you or I hope you all have a great time.. 

I also believe even with people who are hammered you don't get so much trouble.. Well that's my point of view lol even though I didn't answer your question lol.. G

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

This will be my plan I think, that and campervan for the first time. Assuming I get tickets and we do get to take baby.

Have brought two different kids (ages 6mths to 3yrs) to multiple Glasters. DM me with any queries mate.

Slings the ultimate off-road vehicle - namely you! Always bring a buggy of course, but don't bother your barney using one of it gets 2011/2016 standard underfoot. You'll never go anywhere...

Had 2 1/2 year old girl in one of these for the entire Stones set. She had ear defenders on and slept cosily on me after enjoying Jumping Jack Flash. Perfick.

https://babytula.com/collections/ergonomic-baby-carriers

• Upvote 1

Slings are very good, although having carried our little man around in one all weekend in 2017 I was looking in envy at the people with those big off road buggies. Carrying an 18 month old everywhere on your front for 5 days straight is incredibly knackering, and it makes some things quite difficult ie weeing and even just sitting on the ground.

Being able to chuck them in buggy under the shade with some toys in the day, or wrapped up snug sleeping in the evening is definitely better all round. That said I dunno how the buggies would cope in a proper muddy year(?), but for 2017 they were perfect.

Option of both sling AND an off road buggy would be best.

I did a thread of my experience last year, will try and find it. Got lots of helpful advice from the good folk on here.

EDIT here it is

Edited by Junglist1981
linky linky
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Have brought two different kids (ages 6mths to 3yrs) to multiple Glasters. DM me with any queries mate.

Slings the ultimate off-road vehicle - namely you! Always bring a buggy of course, but don't bother your barney using one of it gets 2011/2016 standard underfoot. You'll never go anywhere...

Had 2 1/2 year old girl in one of these for the entire Stones set. She had ear defenders on and slept cosily on me after enjoying Jumping Jack Flash. Perfick.

https://babytula.com/collections/ergonomic-baby-carriers

Cheers, appreciate that a lot :)

We have a sling now which is great but don’t know if I would want to or physically could carry her all the time. Will definitely take it with us but would like the option of putting her in something we can push around and if it is raining she can sit in dry and comfortable. We will be having another baby as well in the near future so maybe the Weeride which can take 2 kids will be the way to go. If the weather is horrendous we will just stick to the main paths and can always put her in the sling if we fancy going off track for a bit 

On 25/01/2018 at 9:08 PM, Wooderson said:

That’s good to hear PJ Freak. You may have said that to me! 2016 was hell.

Why was that old son... If some mad looking long haired bloke with a purple goatee sad fair play.... That's me lol 

I think we’ll most likely leave Baby Jass with her grandparents for a few years before we think about taking her. Nothing against those who take young children, each to their own, but I go to GF to wnjoy myself. I certainly couldn’t do so as much with a small child strapped to me at all times. Happy to wait a few years until she’s old enough to appreciate what’s going on around her before taking her.

Have been 4 times with a child from 1 up.  Best thing we found is a kids bike trailer.  You want high, thin wheels for mud, good suspension, cover if needed. Also lots of them have handles you can add so you can push them along which is much easier.

They can be expensive but we have got so much use out of it that it was worth the investment.

Good luck and hope we all get there in 2019 with munchkins - in my case a 7 yr old and a nrly 2 yr old.  The DS who has been 4 times loves Glasto so much and is always asking when he can go again!

I’m thinking bike trailer is the best way to go, keep looking on second hand sites to see if I can pick one up. My only concern is the wheels are really thin so don’t know how they would cope with mud. Saying that I’ve used trolleys with chunky wheels and mud just sticks to them so maybe thin wheels will cut through the mud. I don’t know why I’m worried about mud though NFR NFC

3 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I’m thinking bike trailer is the best way to go, keep looking on second hand sites to see if I can pick one up. My only concern is the wheels are really thin so don’t know how they would cope with mud. Saying that I’ve used trolleys with chunky wheels and mud just sticks to them so maybe thin wheels will cut through the mud. I don’t know why I’m worried about mud though NFR NFC

bikes and bike trailers are fantastic for getting our kit on site from the car parks ... we have been doing it for quite a few years now ... the only time we struggled was 2016 I think ... but that was the year that the festival was very wet in the run up ( I think ) but they have been much better than any trolley we have ever used and thats with a fair bit of weight ... our trailers were erde brand if thats any help 

I have a Nipper Sport v4 for our toddler which i take her running in.....

When i say running, i dont mean on tarmac either...We use it in the main off road running up on the tracks of dartmoor, local parks, muddy park runs, and trips along the coast path, and I have to say it is awesome..I haven't met any terrain yet which is an issue for it.

Id use ours for Glastonbury in a flash, if i was going to take our toddler..t......However she wont be coming until she is old enough to walk around by herself to be honest

The main issue with the Nipper would be its length.. It is very very long and low , and in a crowd people will try to walk through the gap in the crowd.....which is occupied by your buggy !!

On 28/01/2018 at 12:39 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I think we’ll most likely leave Baby Jass with her grandparents for a few years before we think about taking her. Nothing against those who take young children, each to their own, but I go to GF to wnjoy myself. I certainly couldn’t do so as much with a small child strapped to me at all times. Happy to wait a few years until she’s old enough to appreciate what’s going on around her before taking her.

Mate, having taken a toddler a 6 year old and a 9 year old I would say that if you have the option not to take her then definitely don't! Yeah there's some great stuff for the kids to see and do, but it's an adult playground really isn't it. I missed out on so much stuff in 2017 through being with the kids, and whilst I didn't resent them for it (I was just glad to be there at all tbh) I did get a bit grumpy a couple of times ie when it was my turn to take them to bed or when I was missing yet another great act whilst sat in the kids field.

Each to their own an all, but I will certainly be striving to keep our Glastonbury adult only from now on. It's very important to have some time for yourself once in a while, there are 51 other weeks of the year to do awesome family things elsewhere that the kids will appreciate just as much if not more.

If she's a cool kid when she's 9 or 10 and she shows a keen interest in going then maybe take her then. But take her to a couple of test gigs first though, see how she handles the live environment. I honestly thought my 9 year old daughter would love it and was looking forward to being there with her, but she just moaned all weekend and made everything hard work! She won't be coming again until she's at least 16.

• 1 month later...

I’ve managed to get one of these second hand off Facebook for £50. The top cover is cracked but you can buy replacements so not to fussed about that.

https://m.bikester.co.uk/croozer-kid-for-2-bike-trailer-beige-green-559379.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgvXEs8GM2gIVzL3tCh2gSw7DEAQYAyABEgI4GfD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_9_1316_559379_201897230302_pla&ef_id=Wro5@gAABK6mz9iY:20180327123258:s

It’s only ever been used as a trailer to so the front wheel has never been used. Need to funk it up a bit now and get some lights on it, maybe a flag that lights up as well