Jump to content

Elton John


Pinrut
 Share

Recommended Posts

You’re not just paying for the voice though. 

If we’re after acoustic perfection we’d stick the vinyl on and run it though some ace speakers.


With gigs like this you’re paying for the experience, the chance to see a living legend (subjective I know) in the flesh and the atmosphere that generates.

Saw The Stone Roses at Wembley a few years ago, knowing full well Ian Brown is at best a pub singer these days, but being there with 80k people belting out every word to Sally Cinnamon, smiles beaming and arms aloft was well worth the £80. 
 

It’ll be the same for Elton too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

You’re not just paying for the voice though. 

If we’re after acoustic perfection we’d stick the vinyl on and run it though some ace speakers.


With gigs like this you’re paying for the experience, the chance to see a living legend (subjective I know) in the flesh and the atmosphere that generates.

Saw The Stone Roses at Wembley a few years ago, knowing full well Ian Brown is at best a pub singer these days, but being there with 80k people belting out every word to Sally Cinnamon, smiles beaming and arms aloft was well worth the £80. 
 

It’ll be the same for Elton too. 

Precisely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

He sounds fine, no where near as bad as Dylan

You should look up some clips from the last 20 years of Dylan singing live  

I admit I was hyperbolising but he is better with some songs that now suit his register Eltonister now better than other songs (the other three songs in the set, if you're wondering).

He's gone through a bit of surgery in the past five years which has no doubt had an effect, but his performance centres heavily around the vocal delivery - much more than others - so it can't really be discounted.

Just now, henry bear said:

I saw Reg 2 years ago and his voice was ok - a bit deeper now, but that’s to be expected.

Macca’s voice has deteriorated over the years but, again, who cares when you’re singing along with a field full of other people?

But we're not in a field, or at least I'm not. We're commenting on his voice on various streams and videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I admit I was hyperbolising but he is better with some songs that now suit his register Eltonister now better than other songs (the other three songs in the set, if you're wondering).

He's gone through a bit of surgery in the past five years which has no doubt had an effect, but his performance centres heavily around the vocal delivery - much more than others - so it can't really be discounted.

But we're not in a field, or at least I'm not. We're commenting on his voice on various streams and videos.

I also listened to tiny dancer and rocket man. I'd be satisfied if he sounded like that if I saw him live.

My advice to you would be not to see him live

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's probably not a great deal different to Macca and the Stones.  There are clips of both sounding terrible, but most who actually attend the shows can attest that they're still massively enjoyable live performers.

I think the Stones' night at Glastonbury would have been remembered differently if Mick spent two hours sounding like he was singing while eating his dinner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's probably not a great deal different to Macca and the Stones.  There are clips of both sounding terrible, but most who actually attend the shows can attest that they're still massively enjoyable live performers.

Macca live is really hard to listen to nowadays though. That voice is really shot. Well, it was when we saw him in 2016. In 5 years time it won't have improved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Macca live is really hard to listen to nowadays though. That voice is really shot. Well, it was when we saw him in 2016. In 5 years time it won't have improved. 

He was great Christmas 2018. The Macca pipes were in fine fettle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...