Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

You’re not just paying for the voice though. 

If we’re after acoustic perfection we’d stick the vinyl on and run it though some ace speakers.

With gigs like this you’re paying for the experience, the chance to see a living legend (subjective I know) in the flesh and the atmosphere that generates.

Saw The Stone Roses at Wembley a few years ago, knowing full well Ian Brown is at best a pub singer these days, but being there with 80k people belting out every word to Sally Cinnamon, smiles beaming and arms aloft was well worth the £80. 

It’ll be the same for Elton too. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

You’re not just paying for the voice though. 

If we’re after acoustic perfection we’d stick the vinyl on and run it though some ace speakers.

With gigs like this you’re paying for the experience, the chance to see a living legend (subjective I know) in the flesh and the atmosphere that generates.

Saw The Stone Roses at Wembley a few years ago, knowing full well Ian Brown is at best a pub singer these days, but being there with 80k people belting out every word to Sally Cinnamon, smiles beaming and arms aloft was well worth the £80. 

It’ll be the same for Elton too. 

Precisely.

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

He sounds fine, no where near as bad as Dylan

You should look up some clips from the last 20 years of Dylan singing live  

I admit I was hyperbolising but he is better with some songs that now suit his register Eltonister now better than other songs (the other three songs in the set, if you're wondering).

He's gone through a bit of surgery in the past five years which has no doubt had an effect, but his performance centres heavily around the vocal delivery - much more than others - so it can't really be discounted.

Just now, henry bear said:

I saw Reg 2 years ago and his voice was ok - a bit deeper now, but that’s to be expected.

Macca’s voice has deteriorated over the years but, again, who cares when you’re singing along with a field full of other people?

But we're not in a field, or at least I'm not. We're commenting on his voice on various streams and videos.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's probably not a great deal different to Macca and the Stones.  There are clips of both sounding terrible, but most who actually attend the shows can attest that they're still massively enjoyable live performers.

I think the Stones' night at Glastonbury would have been remembered differently if Mick spent two hours sounding like he was singing while eating his dinner.

On 9/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's probably not a great deal different to Macca and the Stones.  There are clips of both sounding terrible, but most who actually attend the shows can attest that they're still massively enjoyable live performers.

Macca live is really hard to listen to nowadays though. That voice is really shot. Well, it was when we saw him in 2016. In 5 years time it won't have improved. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Time to resurrect this one then.

For those who have not seen, Sir Elton Hercules John - stop laughing at the back - has moved a previously scheduled date in Paris from Sunday June 25 2023 to Wednesday June 21 2023. He know has a curiously-shaped hole in his touring schedule that runs between Thursday June 22 2023 to Monday June 26 2023 next year - right around the time that several hundred thousand people will be descending upon Worthy Farm.

It could be anything. It could be a wedding. It could be a Watford pre-season tour. It could be ladies night at the Palace Hotel Ballroom.

But chances are that it is indeed Glastonbury. We've seen bands move their dates for a trip to the farm before - The Who in 2015, famously - but the fact that this show has been rescheduled almost a year in advance likely lends significant weight to the fact he might just be...

...a lock.

Elton John, Glastonbury Festival 2023.

• Like 1