Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow, fair enough.  Why not?

essentially that they feel it's a bit cheeky to phone them up and ask them to play on the cheap, and that those big acts know where Glastonbury is if they want to get in touch.

In reality it's probably not quite as hard and fast as that, because, for instance, Martin also once told me something like "we have regular conversations with them" (perhaps meaning agents, etc, rather than the band) when talking about the Foos a decade or more ago. I guess that might happen because they had an on-going relationship of sorts with the Foos from the previous times Dave has been at the farm.

But, from what he said, they don't just make enquiries out of the blue for the biggest bands.

Hmmm...

1.    Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
2.    The Bitch is Back
3.    Bennie and the Jets
4.    Daniel
5.    I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues
6.    Philadelphia Freedom
7.    Are You Ready for Love
8.    Someone Saved My Life Tonight
9.    Tiny Dancer
10.    Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long, Long Time)
11.    Circle of Life
12.    I’m Still Standing
13.    Sad Songs Say So Much
14.    Can You Feel the Love Tonight
15.    Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest word
16.    Sacrifice
17.    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
18.    Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
19.    Candle In the Wind
20.    Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting

21.    Your Song
22.    Crocodile Rock

I'll take that as a headline set. That's leaving out a few of the fan favourites like Levon, Burn Down the Mission, Take Me to the Pilot, and just going for hits.

12 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Hmmm...

1.    Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
2.    The Bitch is Back
3.    Bennie and the Jets
4.    Daniel
5.    I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues
6.    Philadelphia Freedom
7.    Are You Ready for Love
8.    Someone Saved My Life Tonight
9.    Tiny Dancer
10.    Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long, Long Time)
11.    Circle of Life
12.    I’m Still Standing
13.    Sad Songs Say So Much
14.    Can You Feel the Love Tonight
15.    Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest word
16.    Sacrifice
17.    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
18.    Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
19.    Candle In the Wind
20.    Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting

21.    Your Song
22.    Crocodile Rock

I'll take that as a headline set. That's leaving out a few of the fan favourites like Levon, Burn Down the Mission, Take Me to the Pilot, and just going for hits.

I'd be all over that.

4 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Honestly why wouldn't you book him in this situation?

I dunno if I'd be there or not (a NIN booking or something would stop that) but I can't think of a more obvious Pyramid headliner than Elton John on a farewell tour. 

I would agree but I also think that he’s been an obvious headliner at least since he started doing festivals five years ago. The festival stirring into action now he’s announced his retirement is three years away is kinda cutting it fine.

I know he is retiring and doing this farewell tour to make as much money as humanly possible. I know Glastonbury wont pay him as much as he would make playing hi sown gig . Sure he will be factoring in Album Sales. after Lionel Played I forget how many but a quite  a fe wof his albums went back in to the Album chart. Reg would have the same effect . He would make a pretty penny from this

18 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I know he is retiring and doing this farewell tour to make as much money as humanly possible. I know Glastonbury wont pay him as much as he would make playing hi sown gig . Sure he will be factoring in Album Sales. after Lionel Played I forget how many but a quite  a fe wof his albums went back in to the Album chart. Reg would have the same effect . He would make a pretty penny from this

While I've no doubt Reg makes lots of money, money doesn't particularly be the driver for what he does. He does a shit load of charity concerts every year, for example.

His touring is much more about him loving his job as a working musician, I think.

(disclaimer: I'm no EJ fan, but am aware of a lot of what he does).

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

He'd be comfortably the biggest arsehole ever to play the festival.

A tantrum throwing, royalist sycophant. The thought of this toadying fuckwit at glastonbury is nauseating.

Though I suppose he's the perfect act for the current crowd.

Whilst the tantrum royal loving twattery is all true... he hasn't half done some hits. If I only watched acts from people I like as a person I'd probably be restricted to Craig Charles & the Lancashire hotpots.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst the tantrum royal loving twattery is all true... he hasn't half done some hits. If I only watched acts from people I like as a person I'd probably be restricted to Craig Charles & the Lancashire hotpots.

Is his voice fucked nowadays? I've no idea. 

Royal sycophancy aside, Tiny Dancer is brill.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Think Rolf takes that accolade. 

fair point!

Saw him couple of years back at our local rugby stadium and he was good, but then I'm not particularly a fan - only went as it was local. He did give a steward a right divaesque bollocking (for which he later apologised). 

I think I would see him on the pyramid though in whichever slot. Not looked at his tour dates but 3 years seems ambitious as he cancels a few gigs each year because of health as it is.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

While I've no doubt Reg makes lots of money, money doesn't particularly be the driver for what he does. He does a shit load of charity concerts every year, for example.

His touring is much more about him loving his job as a working musician, I think.

(disclaimer: I'm no EJ fan, but am aware of a lot of what he does).

He does a feck load for Charity , but he also has expensive tastes he spends all most as much money as he earns which is why he is still touring to pay for the lifestyle for which he loves.  you don;t do a Vega residency for the love of Music. 

I don;t blame him . I would have done the same