Elton John

Sawdusty surfer

The Guardian article seems to suggest that 2020 could be likely, but no idea where they get their information from:

"The tour will begin in Pennsylvania in September 2018, and will visit 10 cities across the UK in 2020"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/24/elton-john-announces-retirement-touring-final-tour-50-year-career

I guess if an artist does a three year tour, they're not on the road for the whole time? And as he's based around London/Nice it's easy enough to mix it up a bit...especially given the three year time line.

Personally, although I would have never claim to be a fan, I'd be all over it - 2019 or 2020 :) Surely he has to be a headliner though doesn't he? If Stevie Wonder and other older acts can do it...can't Elton?

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

although Emily told me nearly a year ago that they already had acts queued up and ready to do 2020.

So I reckon 2019 is the most likely to Reg if we're going to get Reg.

Surely this tour could have been planned when she told you that? Even if the specifics weren't there, I'm sure he could have had it in his mind to do a farewell tour throughout 2019/2020 a year ago.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

although Emily told me nearly a year ago that they already had acts queued up and ready to do 2020.

So I reckon 2019 is the most likely to Reg if we're going to get Reg.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Surely this tour could have been planned when she told you that? Even if the specifics weren't there, I'm sure he could have had it in his mind to do a farewell tour throughout 2019/2020 a year ago.

He said during the live announcement the tour had been pencilled in since 2015. So very feasible Glastonbury were aware.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Absolutely but I'm sceptical as to:

• why he'd route his tour to repeat itself for a festival that he has no relationship with and has never seemed interested in forging one.
  • the popular suggestion that the festival will be loading 2020 up with all the mega stars it can handle and leaving slim pickings for 2019/2021.

Still more than happy to play with the idea of that being the case and maybe he is romanced by the 50th anniversary or he's got UK festival plans (IOW most likely) that impinge on 2019 availability. And it'll at least give a breather from every suggestion for that year being shot down by "no mate it's Coldplay".

As a long shot, because they've only ever been offering him the legend slot so far, but he's negotiated the big one as part of his farewell tour.

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As a long shot, because they've only ever been offering him the legend slot so far, but he's negotiated the big one as part of his farewell tour.

eh? maybe i'm misunderstanding, but according to EJ, he's never been asked to play Glasotnbury, and I've certainly never seen anything about him being offered the legends slot.

I would prefer him in the legends slot. I am not a headliner type of guy . I would see him in the afternoon in the Sun (fingers crossed) of a night I will be some where else. not sure where but  that is why i love Glastonbury .

he'll be a Sunday night headliner , keep all the local chair brigade happy 

Edited by shuttlep

32 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

eh? maybe i'm misunderstanding, but according to EJ, he's never been asked to play Glasotnbury, and I've certainly never seen anything about him being offered the legends slot.

I know that's the official word, but it seems incredibly unlikely to me.  I'm just being cynical, I've always assumed that if Elton's not lying outright, then his people never let him know.

Either way, can you imagine that the festival have never approached Elton John?  They must have pretty similar discussions as us about "who's left".  They're not stupid.  Unless of course, they know something truly awful about him that would rule him out...

EDIT:  I should have made it clearer that the "offered him legend slot" was pure speculation on my part.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

52 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know that's the official word, but it seems incredibly unlikely to me.  I'm just being cynical, I've always assumed that if Elton's not lying outright, then his people never let him know.

It's of course possible that 'his people' haven't let him know.

But i also know from Martin Elborne has told me that they don't approach the biggest acts they don't already have a relationship with, and i suspect that might apply here with Reg.

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

I would prefer him in the legends slot. I am not a headliner type of guy . I would see him in the afternoon in the Sun (fingers crossed) of a night I will be some where else. not sure where but  that is why i love Glastonbury .

he'll be a Sunday night headliner , keep all the local chair brigade happy 

I agree, it would be quite a sweet Sunday afternoon!

• Upvote 1

Get him on that bloody stage Michael.

Sunday night to end the festival would be great.

Talking of which that got me thinking... Stevie Wonder. How good was he in 2010?! Definitely my favorite set in the years I've been.

Such a good atmosphere that night. 

• Upvote 1

A glorious sight.

A field full of meerkats as far as the eye can see, all in the sentry position.  Muppet crocodiles counting down the moments till they can chime in on backing vocals.  Swahili chanting coming through the speakers.  A live giraffe wandering through the crowd wearing daft glasses.

Then Eavis strides to the front of the stage holding Elton over his head like the baby Simba.

• Like 2