Glastonbury evolves

Crazyfool01

With regards to tents being open on the Wednesday: I managed to sit in a slither of shade at Stonebridge which was a welcome relief...was an extremely hot day and having 3 beers by midday wasn’t a great decision.

With regards to a variety of after hours music: I head “Too Funky” by George Michael being played at Strummerville at 2am one morning. What more do you want?

23 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Well at least I know that in 2019 the monorail will be up and running 

realmonorail.png.2e3a0242b3f59111e8b485c8af93e096.png

Funnily enough I recently dreamt that Michael had finally solved the transport issues at the festival. Nothing so impractical as a monorail. No, they built an underground network.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Funnily enough I recently dreamt that Michael had finally solved the transport issues at the festival. Nothing so impractical as a monorail. No, they an underground network.

Well as you know there WAS a glasto underground but after this they had to shut it down old son.. 

2c20519ce221fa048b6a76fb048487a1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Since I was 16, 1981, Glastonbury Festival has evolved  beyond my wildest expectations. I keep going back because there is nothing else I can do. It is proper unique, perfectly obtuse , annoyingly incomprehensible, and Crystal clear, A phantasmagorical wonder, the new British Empire.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2018 at 5:12 PM, dentalplan said:

Sure. Or take something in away from listening to music. They have rock music programmed from breakfast thru til midnight. After that, try something different or catch some z’s.

You don’t see Steve D’n’B moaning that Arcadia doesn’t start early enough. He’s in bed until 4pm because that fits with his side of the festival.

Haha I can see your point... However, I like to only sleep for 3 hours each day at glasto (7am to 10am ish) and would also like some more rock/indie music past 12am... :D 

17 hours ago, bamber said:

Since I was 16, 1981, Glastonbury Festival has evolved  beyond my wildest expectations. I keep going back because there is nothing else I can do. It is proper unique, perfectly obtuse , annoyingly incomprehensible, and Crystal clear, A phantasmagorical wonder, the new British Empire.

Agreed! I wish Glasto was a perpetual thing and I could live there. There is nothing else like it on the planet.

On 26/01/2018 at 9:10 PM, The Red Telephone said:

With regards to tents being open on the Wednesday: I managed to sit in a slither of shade at Stonebridge which was a welcome relief...was an extremely hot day and having 3 beers by midday wasn’t a great decision.

With regards to a variety of after hours music: I head “Too Funky” by George Michael being played at Strummerville at 2am one morning. What more do you want?

That Wednesday was an experience! That heat!! Step inside tent for 30 seconds come out literally with tshirt dripping wet... 

I'll take that kind of wet over rainy wet anyday though :D

51 minutes ago, Purrrple Panda said:

5FD2BCB4-3C59-49B4-81AA-C294138F9801.jpeg

Great 4th post lol.... 

As you are so keen on the new Glastonbury travel arrangements here's the new ski lifts that are going to be installed to get you to strummer ville and private camping worthy view.. 

liftchair.jpg

Engagement-Photo-at-Ski-Lift-1-in-Aspen-Colorado.jpg

• Like 1

Would it be worth them chucking on an extra £50 onto the ticket price that you get back if you can prove you are taking your tent home? Stewards/staff on the gates giving out a voucher code or something to people leaving with their tents? You can then redeem it when you get home.

Ballache but I'm sure a lot more people would take their tent home if they knew it was costing them £50 to leave it there.

Another one which has just occurred to me:

Move that Lovebullets tent which was next to the glade. It was clearly popular but made getting up to the railway line or in to the Glade a bit of a nightmare.

It also sound clashed with the leftfield tent which was a bit annoying.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Would it be worth them chucking on an extra £50 onto the ticket price that you get back if you can prove you are taking your tent home? Stewards/staff on the gates giving out a voucher code or something to people leaving with their tents? You can then redeem it when you get home.

Ballache but I'm sure a lot more people would take their tent home if they knew it was costing them £50 to leave it there.

It's a really good idea but just can't see how they could implement it properly when everyone would be paying the £50 extra but not everyone would be able to prove they aren't leaving a tent behind cause of people sharing tents, leaving at different times etc.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's a really good idea but just can't see how they could implement it properly when everyone would be paying the £50 extra but not everyone would be able to prove they aren't leaving a tent behind cause of people sharing tents, leaving at different times etc.

Also those who stay off site, come in for the day or live locally etc.

Maybe they could randomly hand out vouchers for a a special link for tickets the following year to some seen taking everything out and using bins. No idea how it would work and there will always be arses who take it all out the gate and leave t just round the corner.

The more I consider it those arses who leave everything simply do not care and there is precious little that would make them care.

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

30 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Also those who stay off site, come in for the day or live locally etc.

Maybe they could randomly hand out vouchers for a a special link for tickets the following year to some seen taking everything out and using bins. No idea how it would work and there will always be arses who take it all out the gate and leave t just round the corner.

The more I consider it those arses who leave everything simply do not care and there is precious little that would make them care.

Good points. Not sure how the could deal with that actually.

It's my one gripe with Glastonbury - which is in no way aimed at the festival and its organisers. There are just far too many people that don't care about leaving everything behind. Also people peeing on the land. I saw far too many people peeing against the fence by the Glastonbury sign last year. The pee-ers and the tent leaves are probably the same people at a guess.

On 2/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, Tartan_Glasto said:

Stick £50 on the ticket price. Everyone arriving that isn't carrying a tent gets a voucher to spend in the festival.  Everyone carrying a tent gets a tag on the bag, and gets a code on the way out to redeem once they get home (for cash).

Haven't worked out what you do for people carrying multiple tents, mind!

8 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Stick £50 on the ticket price. Everyone arriving that isn't carrying a tent gets a voucher to spend in the festival.  Everyone carrying a tent gets a tag on the bag, and gets a code on the way out to redeem once they get home (for cash).

Haven't worked out what you do for people carrying multiple tents, mind!

Unless you do a proper check, then that's wide open to abuse - just fill the tent bag full of dirty clothes.

And if you do a proper check, you'll inevitably create massive queues at the gates (both on the way in and the way out) which will quickly erode any support the public had, and the extra staff needed (at minimum, you'd need to cover the 6 main public gates running 24/7) would end up costing far more to implement than you're likely to save in cleanup costs.

And either way you'll have loads of complaints from people who fall through the cracks - for example someone stays on site for a couple of days to do litterpicking, or cadges a lift home with a crew worker and so leaves through a vehicle gate which isn't covered.