Glastonbury evolves

Crazyfool01

In the fallow year I often think that its a good time to look at what our beloved festival can do to improve itself ... currently fantastically successful I believe this is down to site improvements and fortunately or unfortunately down to things like the superfence ... what improvements would people like to see in the future ? mine would be a fairly simple one ... to put troughs on all sides of the mens urinals .. it frustrates me greatly to see the inside urinal pissers !! fire away ...

I, personally, would like another option away from Arcadia and the Shangri-la that is open late and gives another viable option (that isn't heavy dance/bass etc.), as as much as I love those areas variety is the spice of life :D. I know there is bars and Silver Hayes etc. Also the toilet situation up at Arcadia is hard work due to sheet volume of people - 45 minute round trip! 

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Upvote 1

MORE TAPS IN CAMPSITE!

I camp up in Bailey's, and if you're up in the morning and want some water then you have to queue for fucking ages. Not good when you're hungover in the middle of summer.

Instant death penalty and a lifetime ban for anybody caught holding a conversation in a crowd during a quiet act.

• Upvote 3

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Instant death penalty and a lifetime ban for anybody caught holding a conversation in a crowd during a quiet act.

Put those people next to those who use seats/inflatable couches bang at the front of the Pryamid.

Totally agree with the toilet arcadia situation .. I think the fallow year provides a great opportunity to add to some of the basic infrastructure on site ...they have invested in drainage over the last few years and that seems to have made a bit of a difference remembering the lakes in front of the other stage in the past 

more urinals/bigger urinal areas.

so many spots where there's always massive queues during busy times, which leads to people pissing against the urinal fences, I'm thinking the back of West Holts, and the ones at the top of Pennards which serves The Park stage/hill/Stonebridge/Rabbit Hole...

and before someone says "well they should just wait and not piss against it", that's a nice thought, but they already do, so either do something to improve the situation, or continue whinging about the pissers as they keep going against fences....

also, the Theatre/Circus/Cabaret fields, from my experience, are very empty at night, and generally very roomy during the day. meanwhile, the nearby SE Corner is heaving from midnight onwards.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving the Cabaret tent up to be in the same area as Circus/Theatre areas, and then maybe moving Glasto Latino and Unfairground into the current Cabaret field, freeing up space for Shangri-La/Block9/The Common.

either that, or move the Cabaret tent, then move Avalon up into that field, and shift Block9 into the Avalon field, then Unfairground across the tracks into the current Block9 area, which frees up much more space for Shangri-La.

either way, I find much of the area around Theatre/Circus/Cabaret to be dead space from about 9pm onwards, while there are big issues with overcrowding in the SE Corner, so maybe those areas could be utilised better and the SE Corner expanded a little.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

also, the Theatre/Circus/Cabaret fields, from my experience, are very empty at night, and generally very roomy during the day. meanwhile, the nearby SE Corner is heaving from midnight onwards.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving the Cabaret tent up to be in the same area as Circus/Theatre areas, and then maybe moving Glasto Latino and Unfairground into the current Cabaret field, freeing up space for Shangri-La/Block9/The Common.

either that, or move the Cabaret tent, then move Avalon up into that field, and shift Block9 into the Avalon field, then Unfairground across the tracks into the current Block9 area, which frees up much more space for Shangri-La.

either way, I find much of the area around Theatre/Circus/Cabaret to be dead space from about 9pm onwards, while there are big issues with overcrowding in the SE Corner, so maybe those areas could be utilised better and the SE Corner expanded a little.

Thats quite a bit of thought :) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

MORE TAPS IN CAMPSITE!

I camp up in Bailey's, and if you're up in the morning and want some water then you have to queue for fucking ages. Not good when you're hungover in the middle of summer.

Instant death penalty and a lifetime ban for anyone who stands and brushes their teeth at a tap 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Instant death penalty and a lifetime ban for anyone who stands and brushes their teeth at a tap 

Didn't see it this year but washing your hair at a tap. Death

Someone needs to rethink Silver Hayes and that area, it's dreadful soulless and never busy other than with people going somewhere else. Oh and the monorail needs a lick of paint, shabby frankly.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A rethink on litter storage/collection. I'm thinking a big fuck off skip in W Holt's. Or some provision for an extra emptying of the bins during the day. They overflow far too often.

Agreed on the all-round urinals, been saying this for a while.

Yeah the bins overflowing all the time is annoying, especially as I'm the kind of bleeding heart sandal wearer who will keep hold of their detritus until they find a suitable bin. Once I had to store a burrito wrapper in my backpack because all the bins in the park were overflowing and there was a band on that I wanted to see. When I got it out about an hour later it had leaked burrito juice all over my jumper and bog roll. So I smelled bad at night time and risked wiping my arse with habanero sauce.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Instant death penalty and a lifetime ban for anybody...

:D

Brilliant. I am so going to be using that phrase for anything annoying. Is it yours or did you nick it? Ooh. Hang on. I'm betting Al Murray.

Regarding the "There needs to be a split from Arcadia/Shangri-La" debate:

They used to be really close together. Now Arcadia is far away from SL.

But it's still all thumpy thumpy, dancy dancy stuff though isn't it? As much as I can get in to that and enjoy it:

Give us a late night Proper Rock venue please!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Brilliant. I am so going to be using that phrase for anything annoying. Is it yours or did you nick it? Ooh. Hang on. I'm betting Al Murray.

I think I came up with it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I've subconsciously pinched it from Brass Eye or summat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

Re-design or get rid of Silver Hayes

Seconded. Back to a big top would be best I reckon.

Also guaranteed tickets for me and the mrs forever would be nice.

Plus maybe me DJing on a sexy little stage somewhere. Would settle for Spike. Cheers.

Apart from that good job Glastonbury, keep it up.

- Headliner on the Pyramid on Thursday. One performer. Unannounced. Nothing to do with the BBC.

- Dedicated Dadrock/Americana/Blues stage or tent, small capacity.

- Better alehouses.

- Transition to "tentless exit" =  life ban on leaving tent behind.

- More "sheltered" areas. Huge benefit here in the 9 out of 10 years the weather is shite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Haven't thought through the practicalities of it at all, but I saw at the weekend that Sundance Festival have strengthened their policies against sexual assualt and harassment by issuing a code of conduct and creating a dedicated 24 hour hotline.

Basically, doing more to make it safer for women / folk who identify as women.

• Upvote 1