2018 - What it might have looked like

WS_Jack_III

So obviously the festival isn't on this year and usually we're all speculating about how the line up would look.

For a bit of fun, I thought we could book what this year would have looked like or what we'd hope it would've looked like.

So, let's make a long list for the main stages (Pyramid, Other, West Holts, John Peel, The Park)  

Based on last year across the 3 days on all these stages, we need roughly 140 acts. 

We could have votes to settle arguments about who should go where. 

I'll start with a few names I think would have been on:

Jack White

First Aid Kit

Orbital

I reckon we'd have got QOTSA as headliners, Chvrches, Nick Cave and Jack White as subs and at least one of Bjork and Nine Inch Nails as Other stage headliners. I think it would have been similar to 2014 where the headliners weren't quite at the same level as the ones we've had in the last couple of years but the undercard would have been strong. 

13 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I reckon we'd have got QOTSA as headliners, Chvrches, Nick Cave and Jack White as subs and at least one of Bjork and Nine Inch Nails as Other stage headliners. I think it would have been similar to 2014 where the headliners weren't quite at the same level as the ones we've had in the last couple of years but the undercard would have been strong. 

Yeah I'd take the likes of Mad Cool, NOS Alive, BKS, DTRH and BBK Live lineups into account for the pool of acts around at the time and they all look pretty strong.

I guess for another headliner, Sam Smith maybe woulda scheduled his US tour differently and headlined the Sunday. Can't really place who else might have headlined - maybe GNR woulda been snatched away from Download?

23 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

First Aid Kit

Did you miss them last year? :P

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I'd take the likes of Mad Cool, NOS Alive, BKS, DTRH and BBK Live lineups into account for the pool of acts around at the time and they all look pretty strong.

I guess for another headliner, Sam Smith maybe woulda scheduled his US tour differently and headlined the Sunday. Can't really place who else might have headlined - maybe GNR woulda been snatched away from Download?

Maybe even Arctic Monkeys since they're around. Nick Cave into Sam Smith would have been a sight to behold. 

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did you miss them last year? :P

Nope, they were great. Got a new album just out and it isn't a rule that you can't be on in consecutive years. What would Norman Cook have done with his summers these past 15 years.

59 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Maybe even Arctic Monkeys since they're around. Nick Cave into Sam Smith would have been a sight to behold. 

Was gonna put Artic Monkeys but they'd only headline and they've done it so often already. I guess if they were struggling to fill a headline slot then maybe.

FRIDAY
PYRAMID:

Queens of The Stone Age
The Weeknd
OTHER:
Chase and Status
PARK:
David Byrne
SATURDAY:
PYRAMID:

Kendrick Lamar
Jack White
OTHER: 
Bjork
PARK: 
Fleet Foxes
SUNDAY:
Beyonce
Noel Gallager's High Flying Birds
Frank Ocean
OTHER:
Gorillaz
PARK:
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs

Just a very inaccurate guess, 
perhaps N*E*R*D, Damian Marley and Soulwax on West Holts (though don't know how big nerd is as far as festival lineup but probs would be pyramid)

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Also Alanis Morrissette is doing European festivals the one year in six that there's no Glastonbury, which I assume she'd find rather ironic.

It's like getting to Asdas and realising you've forgot to bring a pound for the trolley

It's missing the bus

It's bumping into your ex in Nando's and feeling a bit awkward

And who would've thought it figures

13 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's like getting to Asdas and realising you've forgot to bring a pound for the trolley

It's missing the bus

It's bumping into your ex in Nando's and feeling a bit awkward

And who would've thought it figures

It's a clean longdrop, when you're just having a piss.

It's no queue at Gandhi's Flip Flop when you've just had a burger.

It's the first sunny day and you're wearing your wellies.

And who would've thought it figures.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Did Sam Smith's album come out in the end? 

No it was cancelled for being too shite.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Was it as big as everyone thought it would be?

But seriously, it did well, but not Sheeran/Adele numbers. The idea of him headlining Glastonbury still seems like a push to me, not because he isn't big enough, but just because unlike those other two artists there's just nothing to him. Much like you, his album release totally passed me by and seems to have fallen off without making too much of an impact outside of his diehard fans. 

I reckon the headliners could've been Depeche Mode, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift. I would say The Killers instead of AM, but then Glasto would've got 2 of the would-be IoW headliners.

Subs being Chvrches, Skepta & Queens of the Stone Age.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I reckon the headliners could've been Depeche Mode, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift. I would say The Killers instead of AM, but then Glasto would've got 2 of the would-be IoW headliners.

Subs being Chvrches, Skepta & Queens of the Stone Age.

Glastonbury apparently don’t pay enough for Depeche Mode so they’d probably still have played IOW.

I have doubts that Taylor Swift would or will ever agree to play Glastonbury either - between the small fee and apparently she’s not a fan of festivals.

Guess Arctics would fit well with their tour dates but it’d likely be just the one album since last playing so idk.

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

not sure a field full of cows wearing coldplay wristbands will have the same effect 

Wristbands so last year, I fully expect up graded cow bells. Battery operated of course so as to help with the biodegradable nature of Chris Martins gifts to the planet/Glastonbury fields.;)

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

No it was cancelled for being too shite.

But seriously, it did well, but not Sheeran/Adele numbers. The idea of him headlining Glastonbury still seems like a push to me, not because he isn't big enough, but just because unlike those other two artists there's just nothing to him. Much like you, his album release totally passed me by and seems to have fallen off without making too much of an impact outside of his diehard fans. 

last year Rag n Bone Man, Liam Gallagher and Take That all sold more in their first week than Sam Smith.

even his fans weren't excited enough to bother buying the album for a while it seems :lol:

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

last year Rag n Bone Man, Liam Gallagher and Take That all sold more in their first week than Sam Smith.

even his fans weren't excited enough to bother buying the album for a while it seems :lol:

Foo Fighters, Pink and Taylor Swift shifted fewer units in the first week, but sure let’s see who’s runs out of names first. :P

Anyway, I doubt anyone ever claimed he would be selling like Adele and Sheeran (his schtick is that he’s a budget Adele so obviously he’s never breaking that barrier) but if that’s what pop acts have to achieve to headline then let’s just call it off - nobody’s got a hope.