Traffic Experiences on M3 and M27 down to Southampton

eustache

I am planning our journey to the IOW festival this year 2018. We have not been before. I am concerned about possible traffic problems and missing my slot on either the RIB boat or ferry. Can anyone tell me if there are likely to be traffic delays on the mainland. We are coming from Buckinghamshire via the M3 and M27, and have no idea how much of a factor to build in for traffic.

Thanks for any experiences in previous years.

I never experienced any problems with traffic due to the ferry. I've been on the ferry to the island for festivals a few times, and on the way out there I always found the system to work very well. At least once we were late, and we were simply put onto the next boat. Don't expect the same on the way back though. Had to wait about 12 hours once for a re-booked ferry.

Depends on what time of the day you are getting the ferry, the M3 and M27 can be a pain at certain times of the day, morning and evening rush hours can be particularly bad southbound. The earlier ferries in the morning are the cheapest so my advice is get one of those and travel before rush hour.