15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

have just put the review up:-

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/electricfields/2018/review.shtml

Bit saddening, but the reviewer has written what he experienced. 

The people of Dumfriesshire have always been anti English from my experience! They are that close to the border they scared they have English cousins and always very vocal about being a jock ! 

Met quite a few folk from south of the border, they seemed to be getting on fine with the yokels. Didn't see any bad behaviour specifically but based on previous experince some Nationalists can be outright cocks when mixed with beer in public.

But back to the more serious point, where were the free showers !!!

In other news, if the reviewer thought it was cold on the Friday he should've been there last year as that was really baltic.

3 minutes ago, stoopid_name said:

Met quite a few folk from south of the border, they seemed to be getting on fine with the yokels.

In my own experience of festivals in scotland (not for 10 years or so now) there's no problem from the vast majority of people.

However, the chances of encountering some anti-English sentiment (or worse) is also pretty high (more times than I didn't experience it).

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I could be wrong, but from my reading of the review it was the guitarist and not Tim.

And while poor, that's just one person. There was also the crowd's reaction.

Ah well the guitarist then, I read it wrong... still not cool, theres always gonna be drunken idiots in the crowd that will cheer to that, best just not to bring it up

11 minutes ago, Lucius Cashmere said:

Haha thats not what im saying mate, my point is shouting "fuck the english" or fuck any country at a festival is just shit chat, and will inevitabley spark a reaction from idiots, so why say it? Why be a twat in the first place and try cause a divide?

cause a divide, or riding on one that's already there?

That's the real problem, I think.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

keep it as Scotland's dirty little secret? :blink:

It's solely the personal dirty little secret of the morons who appreciate those kind of sentiments. Upsetting to hear that anywhere, but especially at a festival. 

Wonder if the guy will be true to his convictions and make the same announcement next time they play a home town show in Manchester. James are fortune it hasn't been reported more widely. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

cause a divide, or riding on one that's already there?

That's the real problem, I 

Causing, riding on, whatever... the point here is, we're at a festival to have a good time, not start a war between england an scotland so why even say it in the first place!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lucius Cashmere said:

Causing, riding on, whatever... the point here is, we're at a festival to have a good time, not start a war between england an scotland so why even say it in the first place!

I'm trying to point out that both the band member and the crowd are the same thing. He wouldn't have said it if he didn't feel it would get the response that it did.

Shame for it to have ruined this guy's weekend.  I wasnt there and I'm not going to defend it, but it seems to have been as much about Brexit as anything else - and I doubt it would have happened at all if this James guy hadn't been acting as a conductor to it all.

But, on the other hand, what sort of monster doesn't like Teenage Fanclub?

21 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Sounds a bit shit mate

The level of police scrutiny involved in getting on site was over the top. We had to get out of the vehicle, lineup for the dogs, let them have a sniff at us, while another dog had a sniff around in the car, or bus.

As for security on site. My only gripe is - the guys on the campsite/arena gate were letting people wander in with their own drinks. Only for a security team to go round later getting people to empty them out. Just stop people coming in with it in the first instance. Avoid the drama.

Was still a very good few days. My second time there. I'll take a look at the lineup for next year. 

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Oh c'mon, less of the deflection. It might have had a conductor, but the orchestra knew the tune and happily played it. ;)

Yeah, it's disappointing stuff alright.  We only arrived on the Friday and the atmosphere was convivial verging on sedate.  I wouldn't have expected James to have been the band that riled people up.

I was fuming about the 'Fuck the English' comment, tweeted Tim Booth who to be fair did tweet back saying it was in poor humour. Left a really sour taste in the mouth at the end of what was a good day and in another festival on another night could have ended up worse than it did. That said, the crowd didn't react to it as I thought they would and there was a few boos directed to the stage from the crowd around me. Just completely unnecessary twattish behaviour from the guitarist (possibly violinist), especially after a less than perfect set.

Met quite a few other English people there and a lot had driven more than the 3 hours we did. 

That said, didn't affect the rest of the weekend at all and got on great with everyone, regardless of which side of the border they were from. Just as it should be. 

Edit - good review btw. Particularly about Avalanche Party. Thought they were great.

Edited by DiscothequeDave