21 hours ago, eFestivals said:

have just put the review up:-

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/electricfields/2018/review.shtml

Bit saddening, but the reviewer has written what he experienced. 

I don’t doubt that was their experience. It’s a real shame that they felt they had to keep their mouth shut and conversations to a minimum for the rest of the weekend. 

I didnt see a single person punching the air during the guitarists totally unnecessary outburst. Not one person.

The same guy wore a shirt with fuck Brexit on it at Kendal calling. He had a 20 second rant about trump and Brexit that ended with....well atleast Scotland didn’t vote for it....fuck the English. 

My guess was that he was trying to be funny / ironic as I assume he is English. I didn’t think it was funny. 

The reviewer feels that stoked anti English feeling that was already there. No idea how they had already established that so early on the Thursday night. I didn’t see any such sentiment. I spent most of the weekend with English folk and I’d guess many of the acts were English. I don’t think any of them felt they had to keep quiet all weekend. Again, that was just my own experience.

There is no place for anyone saying fuck the English on a stage anywhere. The fella should apologise. He obviously feels very strongly about Brexit. That was my interpretation of the whole sorry incident which clearly differs from our reviewers. It was about Brexit, like the shirt he wore at Kendal....in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

No idea how they had already established that so early on the Thursday night.

it's easy: by how people reacted.

What I think you're missing: if someone said "fuck immigrants" from the stage, those who were immigrants would feel more threatened by it than those who weren't, and particularly if the crowd reacted positively to it.

Think about it!

FYI: I've actually toned down the full extent of what he submitted to me, tho only by a little (partly for practical reasons, and partly to try and lessen the responses. Responses I said to him would contain denial ;)).

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I could be wrong, but from my reading of the review it was the guitarist and not Tim.

And while poor, that's just one person. There was also the crowd's reaction.

Yeah it wasn’t Tim. My experience of the crowds reaction differs to our reviewer. I was about 4 rows from the front and to the left.

I don’t doubt some idiots would have cheered a guy saying what he said to be clear. It would have happened. 

Last month jimmy cliff said in Glasgow.....so are you all from Edinburgh and was met with a chorus of boos. It doesn’t necessarily imply the whole crowd hate folk from Edinburgh.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

it's easy: by how people reacted.

What I think you're missing: if someone said "fuck immigrants" from the stage, those who were immigrants would feel more threatened by it than those who weren't, and particularly if the crowd reacted positively to it.

Think about it!

FYI: I've actually toned down the full extent of what he submitted to me, tho only by a little (partly for practical reasons, and partly to try and lessen the responses. Responses I said to him would contain denial ;)).

Can you define your understanding of the word denial please.

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

Can you define your understanding of the word denial please.

that his experience of what happened isn't a valid experience. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Think about it!

4 minutes ago, Lucius Cashmere said:

I dont see any denial here, I see someone giving their account of what happened, isnt that what the reviewer did in the first place?

Or is the reviewers opinion the only one allowed here?

Other opinions are allowed.

Those other opinions change nothing of what the reviewer experienced and how it made him feel. 

It wasn't wrong that he felt like that it was wrong that it happened - and that's more about the crowd's reaction than the guy on stage.

We heard a significant amount anti-James feeling around the site on the Friday when we arrived.  Sounded like they stank the place out, and that was amongst a crowd who actually paid extra money on top of the entry fee pretty much just to see James.

There was also a decent chunk of anti- Noel Gallagher sentiment on the Saturday. One band on the BBC stage (IIRC) had a stab at the old crowd banter by asking if people had enjoyed Noel the night before and was met by a fairly frosty reception. Young Fathers contingent in the houzizzle.

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Your man says this “ exposed anti English feelings and nationalism among significant numbers in the audience.” 

I think it exposed one idiot on a stage and some idiots in a crowd of 1000’s. 

I didn’t share his experience of Electric Fields.

you also don't share the nationality the hatred was directed at. ;)

Even if it was about brexit and nothing else, I could point out that voting for brexit is not a definitive English trait just as being against brexit is not a definitive Scottish trait, and that the difference between views in each country is only in about one in ten of the population.

And if it was drunkenness, perhaps I'm odd, because drunkenness doesn't have me cheering along with racism.

I suspect if the same had happened where the word used was not 'English' but 'Muslims' or 'immigrants' you might get it. But perhaps not.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

you also don't share the nationality the hatred was directed at. ;)

Even if it was about brexit and nothing else, I could point out that voting for brexit is not a definitive English trait just as being against brexit is not a definitive Scottish trait, and that the difference between views in each country is only in about one in ten of the population.

And if it was drunkenness, perhaps I'm odd, because drunkenness doesn't have me cheering along with racism.

I suspect if the same had happened where the word used was not 'English' but 'Muslims' or 'immigrants' you might get it. But perhaps not.

I agree Neil, I totally get it. I do think he meant it in the context of Brexit but in any context it’s not acceptable . See my point about him wearing an anti Brexit shirt in the lakes. I’d guess he’s a passionate remainer.

He mentioned Scotland not voting for Brexit, obviously playing to the gallery but as you say he was talking bollocks as not everyone English voted Brexit. As I’ve said, his views on Brexit are obviously passionate but his words on the English were idiotic.

I still think it was his idea of irony or a joke.....since he himself is English but that was only my take on it and not an excuse.

We’ve established that other folk present had a different experience and felt able to talk freely, whatever their accent.

As it should be.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:34 PM, tolywoly said:

Wonder if the guy will be true to his convictions and make the same announcement next time they play a home town show in Manchester. James are fortune it hasn't been reported more widely. 

According to the Guardians Glastonbury 2016 review he has a bit of previous......

the guitarist from rock band James told the crowd: “It is with incredible sadness that we stand here today, unified in sadness that our country has turned on people. Fuck them!”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/billy-bragg-rallies-glastonbury-aftermath-eu-referendum

Edited by Comfy Bean

On 9/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, Comfy Bean said:

Yeah we had a lot less of a walk to family camping with the site changes. The hill of death still an issue though !

Did you see Tracyanne and Danny in the DIY on Saturday ? Late afternoon I think. Just caught a wee bit of it but thought they sounded good. Had never heard of them before. 

I`m also down for next year.

You’ve not heard of Camera Obscura? Check them out - it’s Tracy-Anne’s possibly permanently retired band & they’re brilliant. Danny’s the main man in Bristol band , Cry Baby, who are also ace. 

Really interested by this thread. 

Trevor’s review is a good one. He speaks as he finds and gives honest reflections about the festival. That’s what I want to read in s review. 

It’s got me thinking though. I’m pretty sure that I heard a pretty strong independence mantra at Primavera Sound this year. In fact, I pretty much complemented the Catalans on their attitude in my review. Was I wrong to do so? 

16 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

He mentioned Scotland not voting for Brexit

he also said "fuck the english" and the crowd cheered. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking here about a bit of chat.

16 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I still think it was his idea of irony or a joke.....since he himself is English but that was only my take on it and not an excuse.

if it was, the joke is on all Scots via those Scots who waved their racism in the air without reaction from the rest.

Edited by eFestivals

15 hours ago, seantizz said:

You’ve not heard of Camera Obscura? Check them out - it’s Tracy-Anne’s possibly permanently retired band & they’re brilliant. Danny’s the main man in Bristol band , Cry Baby, who are also ace. 

Yeah, I’d heard of camera obscura but hadn’t made the link until it was pointed out in this thread. 

Hadnt heard of Cry Baby. Will check them out. Cheers :-)

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did anyone see Flamingods? Easily the best of the non-name bands, comin at ya out of Bahrain.

No, didn’t seem them and wasn’t aware of their work. Will give them a go.

My never seen befores that I liked were Ibibo Sound Machine, Ezra Furman who had a crap slot but was really good and sunshine Bean in the tent who got a bigger crowd than young Ezra.

The Alan Partridge disco thing was  also good late Saturday night.

Next year, they could do with upping the quality on the main stage during the day.