What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

Relative newbie here! This is the first fallow year for me since I started going in 2015 so it's very weird not having the excitement building around now! 

Been on holiday to Greece for a week instead, but will be heading to the farm on 30th June, my best friend died in March and it's because of him I first went to Glastonbury, So scattering some of his ashes on the site as it was his favourite place! Will be camping just down the road so gonna have a picnic and some drinks there too hopefully!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 5:26 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

So, returned from a truly exceptional alternative to Glastonbury, http://www.nablusfestival.org/. Crossed the wall from Jerusalem into the occupied West Bank and stayed in Nablus for 3 days. Impressions were of the wonderfully friendly Palestinians who despite the odds are doing OK. The Festival is in it's 3rd year and trying to bring some culture to an area that so much needs all the support they can get. Family life is of course so strong in that part of the world, but there is little else for them. When it comes to what we would seek in the way of 'entertainment' and night life...there's almost nothing.

The crucial difference between the festival and anything in the UK was the 'cause' was everything, and was directly impacting and integral to the city & it's people, not some faintly distant 'for charity' enterprise. I loved the experience, admit to being apprehensive on arrival, the quality of the music was variable (Kindest words I can use), the Bristol band Chai For All played if anyone knows them, as were some Chilean protest singers, a weird, ambient Japanese act, and as per the photo below, my son playing in the refugee camp. Google Project Hope Palestine if anyone is interested in volunteering for a good cause.

(As an experience, travelling through Israel, Jordan & The West Bank/Palestine was stunning).

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

Incredible!!!!!!!! ? I actually feel quite emotional reading that xx Thank you.

Can completely understand your apprehension, but seriously good on you for going through with it. And big up to your son for getting involved. What a privilege it must have been to be able to share in an event which is bringing some light into people's lives, if only for a few days. God knows they have enough to deal with. Will check out the charity you mention.....maybe you should email your story to Emily Eavis? Despite all the criticism, Glastonbury still has 'doing good' at its heart and I feel it's something they might want to follow up.

PS - My Glastonbury alternative this year was Wychwood. Very nice! Nothing more profound to add ?

• Like 1

Off to Dublin on my Stag Do Friday.

My body wouldn't have felt right unless it was ruined on Monday as per usual end of June tradition...

I have been once before but if anyone has any off the beaten track pubs, things to do etc. do let me know :)

Any of you lot work in the passport office in Durham?

Friend of mine just came back from her passport interview. When she mentioned being in to music, the interviewer started asking her if she'd been to Glastonbury and going on about how great it is and she really should go sometime. Clearly he wanted to be elsewhere this week too

Newport Folk Festival at end of July - my 3rd time. It's got a lot of history obviously and like Glastonbury it doesn't pay acts a lot of money, but relies on its prestige, sells out before any of the lineup is announced. It's a month out, and there are headliners that haven't been announced yet either. It's also one of the very few US festivals that isn't predominantly teenagers and very early 20's, since Americans tend to avoid festivals once they get past 25, there's just not a long-standing tradition and Americans like their 'comforts' too much... yet, Newport is very classy and perhaps the only US fest I'd really feel comfortable going to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks! I'm off to stay in Wells for a long weekend tomorrow. Planning to visit the site, Glastonbury Tor, Cheddar Gorge. If you've got any recommendations on any good places to eat and drink in the area, i'd love to hear them! 

Edited by Robster86

On 6/21/2018 at 7:35 PM, philipsteak said:

Any of you lot work in the passport office in Durham?

Friend of mine just came back from her passport interview. When she mentioned being in to music, the interviewer started asking her if she'd been to Glastonbury and going on about how great it is and she really should go sometime. Clearly he wanted to be elsewhere this week too

My nephews gf works there but she has never been to Glastonbury so it’s not her. Do you live in Durham? 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Lost Village after volunteering there this week. The work was so easy, we were scheduled for a 2-9 on Thursday, a 9-5 on Friday and a 9-12 this morning, but the 9-5 got cut to a 9-12 in the end. So got the full weekend for free and only 13 hours of work in total, and the whole thing was super chilled.

Music wasn't my scene at all, but I knew that going there. Saw a couple of decent acts, but by the time Everything Everything were on last night (who I am kinda into but not a huge fan by any means), it felt like seeing Led Zeppelin or something cos I was so happy to be properly up for a set haha.

It's a nice vibe there once you get past the heavy searches. The 12 can limit is snide and I didn't know about it until after I'd paid deposit etc, but I just about smuggled a litre of rum in so didn't work out too badly in the end especially considering I didn't even bother drinking on Thursday. Wouldn't go back personally cos the music is so far away from what I care about, but would defo recommend the volunteering there if the lineup ever takes yr fancy, so thought I'd give it a mention on here.

And shoutout to whatever DJ we saw on Thursday night who played Beat The Clock by Sparks in the middle of a set of instrumental dance music that I was totally clueless on. Very surreal and cool.

I went to Lost Village as well, as a punter though rather than working. 

I thought it was a brilliant little festival. Quite refreshing to go to something so small and different. 

The music was great, although a little techno heavy for me in the evenings. Three days of dance music did get a bit samey, makes you appreciate the variety on offer at Glasto. 

The DJs/bands I saw were ace though. 

The whole “Lost Village” theme and set up was brilliant. They’d spent a lot of money on the visuals. Possibly a new direction Silver Hayes could take?

The food was the best I’ve ever had at a festival, everything I ate was exceptional. 

The 12 cans rule was a little shit, but understandable for a small festival that makes a lot of its revenue through booze sales. 

All in all I’d highly recommend it to anyone that loves dance/disco/techno. 

40 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I The whole “Lost Village” theme and set up was brilliant. They’d spent a lot of money on the visuals. 

Yeah they defo spent a load on that kinda stuff. The fella running the volunteering has been involved with the festival since before it started, and I was chatting to him for a bit on Friday morning and he was saying about how the likes of Secret Garden Party went to shit cos they started to skimp on production costs etc. So it is and will be a priority at Lost Village for sure. 

Did you see any of the boutique bit? My mate had to help some people on arrival at their tent in there, and they'd paid 5 grand for it! It was nice and had a double bed, sofa, and a little private bathroom. But man, £1250 a night for somewhere to sleep and have a wash at a festival is insane. Can't believe how much money some people have to waste haha.

I do think they need to tone it down with the security, the queues went down soooo slowly. How long did it take you? The more intense searching round the side was even madder; I had a glance in and they were emptying and shaking sleeping bags, giving every t shirt a shake, looking in every pocket etc. Very glad I got there on Wednesday, and I'd have been fuming getting put at the back of the intense searching when I hadn't done anything wrong.