What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

We're doing Rock Werchter for the second time this year.

Here's my take:

Getting there on the train is quick and not barking mad expensive (£72 return). Eurostar is brilliant.
It's an arena festival with the now usual daft restrictions on what you can take into the arena (campsites are fair game for most things). So you'll need tokens - it's 1 token for a small beer, 2 tokens for food. Buy a load in advance since they are way cheaper.

Organisation is fab. The loos are luxurious.

Some people get utterly wasted, since there's no queue for any bar, and there are a lot of bars. Everyone is massively friendly.

Before the main headliners, you can get to the front really easily.

We're staying in the Hive which even has showers.

7 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

We're doing Rock Werchter for the second time this year.

Here's my take:

Getting there on the train is quick and not barking mad expensive (£72 return). Eurostar is brilliant.
It's an arena festival with the now usual daft restrictions on what you can take into the arena (campsites are fair game for most things). So you'll need tokens - it's 1 token for a small beer, 2 tokens for food. Buy a load in advance since they are way cheaper.

Organisation is fab. The loos are luxurious.

Some people get utterly wasted, since there's no queue for any bar, and there are a lot of bars. Everyone is massively friendly.

Before the main headliners, you can get to the front really easily.

We're staying in the Hive which even has showers.

I've never considered going abroad for a festival before (apart from one in Ireland), but I must say that you have made it sound like something which shouldn't automatically be ruled out. That said, I think my future lies at small UK festivals. 

You'll have great fun there, I'm sure. 

Happy travels. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've never considered going abroad for a festival before (apart from one in Ireland), but I must say that you have made it sound like something which shouldn't automatically be ruled out. That said, I think my future lies at small UK festivals. 

Have you tried Moseley Folk Fest Mr Stick? I think it’s a great little fest. No camping as it’s in the middle of Brum but I believe you are in the area.

57 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Have you tried Moseley Folk Fest Mr Stick? I think it’s a great little fest. No camping as it’s in the middle of Brum but I believe you are in the area.

Hello John the Moth,

I haven't tried Moseley Folk Festival. I lived in Moseley for several years, and used to do all my going out there from the age of about 16 onwards. However, I never got to the folk festival in all that time. I actually had to leave Moseley because it was killing me - I was out on the piss and drugged up nearly every night of the week. I only got as far as Kings Heath, but that was enough to stop me in my tracks a little. A few of my brothers go to the festival though. Perhaps that's the true reason why I don't go - not because I don't want to see them, but because I wouldn't want them to see me in that condition. So, I kind of rule that festival out. In any case, I have now moved to Bridgnorth, so it's not exactly on my door step any longer. :)

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

We did Benicassim last year, first non-UK jaunt.  It was certainly a very different experience, pretty sure we were one of the oldest groups there!

The thing I did notice, and maybe others who've been abroad can tell me if this is generally the case, is that the crowds were WAY more into it than at the UK fests I've been to, and certainly more than at Glastonbury. The crowds were dancing, bouncing and generally going nuts all the way to the back, and it was an absolute joy!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

We did Benicassim last year, first non-UK jaunt.  It was certainly a very different experience, pretty sure we were one of the oldest groups there!

The thing I did notice, and maybe others who've been abroad can tell me if this is generally the case, is that the crowds were WAY more into it than at the UK fests I've been to, and certainly more than at Glastonbury. The crowds were dancing, bouncing and generally going nuts all the way to the back, and it was an absolute joy!

I guess age is indeed another element to factor in. I really wouldn't want to go to a festival which didn't have a large age range. 

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I guess age is indeed another element to factor in. I really wouldn't want to go to a festival which didn't have a large age range. 

I did feel old there (so god knows how you'd feel Yog ;) ) but it was a blast.  

It didn't seem to be an age thing that was driving the crowd though, as I've been at Glasto sets with a "young" crowd that's dull as dishwater.  Seemed to be more about a lack of inhibition maybe.  All I know is that I danced more at that fest (and not in a lone guy being filmed and put on youtube kind of way) than I have at any other time!

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I did feel old there (so god knows how you'd feel Yog ;) ) but it was a blast.  

It didn't seem to be an age thing that was driving the crowd though, as I've been at Glasto sets with a "young" crowd that's dull as dishwater.  Seemed to be more about a lack of inhibition maybe.  All I know is that I danced more at that fest (and not in a lone guy being filmed and put on youtube kind of way) than I have at any other time!

Exactly - I don't need youth around me to remind me how old I am. The aches and pains caused by everyday activity are reminder enough.

Just wondering out of mild curiosity - did you try to buy certain dance enhancing commodities when you were there, and if so, were you successful in purchasing them?

24 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just wondering out of mild curiosity - did you try to buy certain dance enhancing commodities when you were there, and if so, were you successful in purchasing them?

We did and we were.  I have to be 100% honest and say that it was the first time I've really "got" dance music live.  How much of that was down to a conscious decision I made on the way out there to stop overthinking it and just let myself go a bit, and how much was down to said pre-festival shopping, I couldn't say.

The guys I was with, who are also my normal Glastonbury crew, were massively surprised by it. They'd never seen me going for it like that, and as a result I'm on a promise to properly hit the SE corner with them next year.

All I know is I bloody enjoyed it!

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

We did and we were.  I have to be 100% honest and say that it was the first time I've really "got" dance music live.  How much of that was down to a conscious decision I made on the way out there to stop overthinking it and just let myself go a bit, and how much was down to said pre-festival shopping, I couldn't say.

The guys I was with, who are also my normal Glastonbury crew, were massively surprised by it. They'd never seen me going for it like that, and as a result I'm on a promise to properly hit the SE corner with them next year.

All I know is I bloody enjoyed it!

I'm afraid that my dancing in public days are over, or at least I hope they are. Nobody likes to see dad dancing. It's not big and it's not clever.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm afraid that my dancing in public days are over, or at least I hope they are. Nobody likes to see dad dancing. It's not big and it's not clever.

That's what I thought, but went for it anyway! :D

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Do you know Mr Yog I rarely disagree with you but here, here, we're poles apart. I think it's every dad's duty to keep the dad dance alive. I'm a massive proponent of the art myself.

??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Do you know Mr Yog I rarely disagree with you but here, here, we're poles apart. I think it's every dad's duty to keep the dad dance alive. I'm a massive proponent of the art myself.

??

Hello semmtexx,

I know where you are coming from and would actually agree with you in terms of it being every dad's duty to dad dance and severely embarrass their off spring. However, I have fathered no children, so me doing a dad dance would be fraudulent. Not only that, but I could be mistaken for trying to get down with the kids. Now that is an embarrassment to oneself of Biblical proportions. 

To be honest I'd love to be able to dance like I used to. I used to try to dance like Roland Gift back in the day, and did a pretty good job of it, if I say so myself. The music I like to listen to at festivals nowadays is psytrance. Now if I tried to dance to that the way it should be danced to, then I firmly believe that bits of me would drop off.

Hi guys, I work for a family arts organisation called Wild Rumpus and we're launching a brand new festival this year called Timber in collaboration with the National Forest Company, which might be of interest for any of you still looking for something to do this summer? 

It's taking place in the heart of the National Forest on the Derbyshire/Leicestershire border in the Midlands on 6th, 7th and 8th July - weekend and single day tickets available with 10% discount for NF residents. It is family friendly but not exclusively for families (there's plenty to do for both those with kids and those without!) 

Timber is a forest festival and will celebrate woodland culture and the magic of forests in all its forms through an exciting and innovative programme of live music, literature and spoken word, talks and debates, arts, outdoor theatre, woodland workshops, midnight discos, fire gardens and amazing light and sound installations, well-being activities (including yoga, tai chi, mindfulness, eco-spas and outdoor hot tubs etc...), food and more. It's a festival for anyone who loves the great outdoors and being immersed in wild and natural landscapes like forests and woodlands, for those who love the arts and wellbeing activities - Timber is about everyone having access to high quality arts in beautiful, natural surroundings, and about bringing families together away from the stress of modern life. 

Check out the full programme here http://timberfestival.org.uk 

Tickets are here http://timberfestival.org.uk/tickets/

We're also on Facebook @timberfestivaluk, Twitter @timber_festival and Instagram @timberfestival

Hope this inspires some of you to come! 

Thanks so much, 

Katie

MAY - Timber-FullLineUp-Poster.png

13 minutes ago, battleborn said:

If you had a decent line up, you wouldn't be advertising on here in a desperate bid to shift tickets. No one on that list makes me want to part with my money. I'm amazed you could even find a deep enough barrel to scrape for some of them...

She wasn't asking you specifically, just ignore it you weirdo

21 minutes ago, battleborn said:

If you had a decent line up, you wouldn't be advertising on here in a desperate bid to shift tickets. No one on that list makes me want to part with my money. I'm amazed you could even find a deep enough barrel to scrape for some of them...

Wtf why would you bother posting that? Absolute cretin.

33 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Because I come on this forum to discuss festivals I'm not interested in, not have adverts I'm not interested in rammed down my throat. If it had been posted as thread in Other festivals, I wouldn't have bothered to post that. If someone had come in here saying they were going I wouldn't have bothered posting, but to have the organiser posting a thinly vieled advert in the Glasto forum (because it's higher traffic) is a joke.

Not expecting them to book household names, but half-decent bands are generally a good starting point for a festival, not no-names. 

Someone promoting their small family festival to people looking to fill their Glastonbury void gives you a right to be callous? Nah.

There are many people at Glastonbury who go specifically for the various arts and activities listed and don’t bother with big names or names at all. And even the people who don’t wouldn’t normally have a go at someone promoting it because they dared to do so without booking Guns N Roses.

dont forget those no names become big names with support from people going to see them when they start small ... and  a festival starting out will not have the clout / funding to book more well known names initially ... good luck with the venture hope your festival sells out 

• Upvote 1

To go back to the topic, I got confirmation through today for volunteering at Lost Village. Fuck knows what it'll be like cos I know next to nothing on the lineup. Looks a good vibe there though so sure it'll be decent. Please feel free to send some recommendations my way if any acts at that stand out.

So that's 4 full festivals for me this summer with a grand total of £80 spent on tickets (for the best/biggest lineup of the lot in Bilbao). Decent going.

18 minutes ago, battleborn said:

I wasn't callous, I just expressed an opinion on the calibre of the festival. There's tonnes of places to promote festivals. It's also not that fair on other organisers who play by the rules and pay efests for their advertising. 

Hello bttleborn,

You may not have had the intent for your post to be callous, but believe me, that's the way it came over. I rarely red arrow people, but I did you because of that perception. I get what you are saying about the 'free' advertising, but (and this is only my personal opinion) to me some adverts like the one posted are acceptable. Now if the person posting was trying to sell us all a drone for their own profit, then I (and I think most, including Neil), would have a problem. Now, the person who posted could have created a new thread within 'Chat' to advertise their wares, but didn't. If they had done, then, yet again to me only, that could have taken it to the bending edge of acceptability. However, they didn't.

Anyway, here's hoping that this doesn't get out of hand.

PS - It's true that not all people go to festivals because of the musical line up. I've been to 20+ Glastonbury's and never once have gone because of what was on music wise.