What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

My wife was 4 months pregnant last Glastonbury so we now have a 2 month old

If there was a Glastonbury this year we would go but knowing how hard it is to get her ready and feed her at home it must be a nightmare to do it all in a field and the amount of stuff we would have to take in would be insane so it couldn’t have fallen better really. 

Money is going to be tight so not planning on doing anything festival related, just booked a couple of weeks away in cottages, 1 in wales and 1 in Scotland. Might do something Glastonbury weekend, maybe take a drive down to pilton. I imagine the farm will be quite busy that weekend so might go a take a walk around there 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

On the subject of babies, I’m delighted to say that Baby Jass came on Saturday night and she’s just lovely.

Congratulations Hugh Jass. Unfortunately I've run out of up votes for the day, otherwise I would have given you one. An up vote, that is. Just to be clear like. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

HelloMetaKate,

A quick 9h drive! I don't think anybody in the UK would call a 9h drive quick. Will keep my fingers crossed for you getting to Burning Man - only a 29h drive. That's dedication doe you.

Haha matter of perspective I guess! Canada is so spread out it takes you a week to drive across it. I can drive 20 hrs to burning man, or if i did it across canada i think i might make it halfway!

Trust me, Id definitely rather fly down for burning man, and if was any other festival I definitely would, but the cost once I flew there would be astronomical to buy all the extra supplies and rent a car.... PLUS the closest airport is in Reno, which costs about $900 roundtrip, OR if I fly to San Fran its only about $300 roundtrip... but the drive from San Fran to Burning Man is still something like 8 hours... 

So 3 options... 1st drive 20hrs and save a lot of money

2nd fly to san fran and spend a lot on supplies car rental etc and still have to drive 8hrs

3rd fly to reno and spend even MORE money! (And the drive is still about 2.5hrs) 

Unfortunately for me I dont have much disposable income at the moment... so driving down is the only way it really seems feasable to me! 

I just spent about 5 hours reading info and looking at created outfits and I want to go pretty badly now!

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

HelloMetaKate,

A quick 9h drive! I don't think anybody in the UK would call a 9h drive quick. Will keep my fingers crossed for you getting to Burning Man - only a 29h drive. That's dedication doe you.

Inspired by my last post i did some number crunching and it seems it would only be slightly cheaper (about $100) to drive 20hrs vs. Fly to san fran and rent a car. That does leave us with a much more costly "gear" situation as we would have to buy it all upon landing... 

Not as bad as i thought though. 

A successful night of planning anyways :lol:

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Haha matter of perspective I guess! Canada is so spread out it takes you a week to drive across it. I can drive 20 hrs to burning man, or if i did it across canada i think i might make it halfway!

Trust me, Id definitely rather fly down for burning man, and if was any other festival I definitely would, but the cost once I flew there would be astronomical to buy all the extra supplies and rent a car.... PLUS the closest airport is in Reno, which costs about $900 roundtrip, OR if I fly to San Fran its only about $300 roundtrip... but the drive from San Fran to Burning Man is still something like 8 hours... 

So 3 options... 1st drive 20hrs and save a lot of money

2nd fly to san fran and spend a lot on supplies car rental etc and still have to drive 8hrs

3rd fly to reno and spend even MORE money! (And the drive is still about 2.5hrs) 

Unfortunately for me I dont have much disposable income at the moment... so driving down is the only way it really seems feasable to me! 

I just spent about 5 hours reading info and looking at created outfits and I want to go pretty badly now!

My post was meant to read 'That's dedication for you' - really not sure how the name for a female deer got in there!

I get your point. It does make sense to drive there under those circumstances. Have you got the time to break up the journey on the way back? That, to me, would make it more palatable. You could look for an interesting place or two to visit. It would make the trip back a little less harsh, in my opinion. Then again, you could just give the driver a shed load of speed and do it in a one'er! lol

I got it bad too when I wanted to go. I was like a cat on a hot tin roof with eagerness. I do hope that you make it, because I have no doubts in my mind that it's a feast for the eyes, ears, and positive emotions. 

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My post was meant to read 'That's dedication for you' - really not sure how the name for a female deer got in there!

I get your point. It does make sense to drive there under those circumstances. Have you got the time to break up the journey on the way back? That, to me, would make it more palatable. You could look for an interesting place or two to visit. It would make the trip back a little less harsh, in my opinion. Then again, you could just give the driver a shed load of speed and do it in a one'er! lol

I got it bad too when I wanted to go. I was like a cat on a hot tin roof with eagerness. I do hope that you make it, because I have no doubts in my mind that it's a feast for the eyes, ears, and positive emotions. 

Portland and seattle on the way back would seem like fun stops... but also a bit more out of the way and adds quite a bit of time. 

Theres also an added element in that I start a new job on Monday and I think asking for 1.5 weeks off vs. 2.5 weeks off seems a bit better... assuming I'm allowed any time. 

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

Inspired by my last post i did some number crunching and it seems it would only be slightly cheaper (about $100) to drive 20hrs vs. Fly to san fran and rent a car. That does leave us with a much more costly "gear" situation as we would have to buy it all upon landing... 

Not as bad as i thought though. 

A successful night of planning anyways :lol:

Hello MetaKate,

Our posts would appear to have crossed there. Not sure what time of night it is over there. It's just approaching 4pm here. 

Yes, I get your point about 'gear'. My stepson is going to meet one of his friends in San Francisco within the next two weeks or so. I could ask him if she would be willing to take a dark web delivery if you like? That way it would be cheaper.

We're saving the holidays to go on a road trip / get married in the states and throw a big old party in Sheffield. It's the most expensive holiday we've ever gone on, usually we're budget hunters who like camping, hostels, and basics. But we've booked a 19-night trip across the USA, hired a Ford Mustang and thought 'Sod it!" We're off to Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, outdoor wedding ceremony / elopement in Lake Powell) into Utah for Zion, Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran, drive down the Big Sur / HighWay 1, ending in LA and a cheeky trip to Disneyland... 

Some friends are also getting married Glastonbury weekend this year, so it's worked out well!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

We're saving the holidays to go on a road trip / get married in the states and throw a big old party in Sheffield. It's the most expensive holiday we've ever gone on, usually we're budget hunters who like camping, hostels, and basics. But we've booked a 19-night trip across the USA, hired a Ford Mustang and thought 'Sod it!" We're off to Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, outdoor wedding ceremony / elopement in Lake Powell) into Utah for Zion, Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran, drive down the Big Sur / HighWay 1, ending in LA and a cheeky trip to Disneyland... 

Some friends are also getting married Glastonbury weekend this year, so it's worked out well!

Wow, nice road trip. I couldn't handle the cheeky trip to Disneyland though. Those places are an anathema to me.

6 hours ago, sheffieldlady said:

We did similar about 22 years ago, open top mustang, started in LA and did a massive circle, over 3000 miles in 3 weeks but without a sneaky wedding in the middle. Congrats!

Still the best holiday I've ever had and often get the photo's out, you'll love it.

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Why not at all? Have they lost interest?

I'm not entirely sure whether it was really a serious attempt to get something new going.

There's decent reasons to think it might have been a way to put leverage on the nearby landowners that Glasto rents land from, by suggesting a future with no festival at Pilton if they got too greedy about the land rental prices they charge.

There's also the other part, of why another landowner would want a festival on the land, but only once every five years. I think most landowners would want it every year or not at all.

I suspect the truth is somewhere in between, that they made some investigations and enquiries around the possibility - if it came together easy-enough, why not do it? - but that it it wasn't something they went at with absolute determination to do.

After all, if they wanted a site to launch a new fest for about 30,000 (the size they talked about) then it's easy-enough to find somewhere to get it started even if it was only done there once. As it's only every five years they wouldn't really need to commit to or stay at the same site.

Michael said it would be the "last big gamble of my life", which at the time made it sound a lot like he was really driving for something new.

Just reading the fuller text again, it still kind of sounds that way? He's confirming there's no plans to not do Glastonbury at Worthy Farm, so it doesn't really sound like a veiled threat to me, though that exact bit's not an actual quote.

the festival organiser said: “The last big gamble  of my life. We have no plans to stop doing [Glastonbury at Worthy Farm], but we want to try something in another location away from the farm, possibly in 2021.”

He added: “It’s still very much in the planning stages, but we’ve got to be brave enough to have a go.”

Also shocked at this: describing this year’s festival as “the best one yet”

7 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Michael said it would be the "last big gamble of my life", which at the time made it sound a lot like he was really driving for something new.

Yeah, i didn't say it was an outright lie, tho I don't think that possibility can be ruled out either.

They seemed to give up on the idea a bit soon and a bit too easily as far as I'm aware, when they might have followed thru and started it this year. I don't really see why it needs 4 years planning when new festivals are started all the time and he has experienced staff at his finger-tips.

There's enough bits and pieces around it to think it might have been a ploy with the Pilton landowners, even if there was more intent to it than only a ploy.