What are you doing instead of Glastonbury this year?

JoBalls

I'm pretty bummed about my festival situation this year... I have 2 weddings to attend in the summer and one is my brothers and falls on my fallback fest, Osheaga. So no Glastonbury, no Osheaga, thats fine because theres lots of great fests to try in north america. Except so far every lineup is complete garbage (IMO) . I really wish I could go to Mad Cool but it conflicts with the weddings as well. 

Right now I'm considering going to burning man for the first time but there is quite a lot of logistics to work out so we shall see!

8 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I'm pretty bummed about my festival situation this year... I have 2 weddings to attend in the summer and one is my brothers and falls on my fallback fest, Osheaga. So no Glastonbury, no Osheaga, thats fine because theres lots of great fests to try in north america. Except so far every lineup is complete garbage (IMO) . I really wish I could go to Mad Cool but it conflicts with the weddings as well. 

Right now I'm considering going to burning man for the first time but there is quite a lot of logistics to work out so we shall see!

I have, for many a year, hankered to go to The Burning Man Festival. For reasons that I'll not go in to right now, it's technically impossible for me to go now - as in, at all. The thing that put me off when I could have gone is the amount of preparation that it would take, not only to get there, but to survive there as well. To me, it would seem to be the hardest festival to pull off attending. There are two major kids on the block as far as festivals go, as far as I'm concerned - that's Glastonbury and The Burning Man. I guess I'll have to settle for having been able to tick off one of them, at least.

If you do go to The Burning Man, I wish you a fab time. :)

On 15/01/2018 at 12:42 PM, Room to sway said:

I've only been to Latitude once (years ago) and quite enjoyed how laid-back it was, though the music side wasn't that great. How does it feel like it's declining...?

Ive been going to Latitude for the past few years and have really liked the laid back contrast to Glastonbury... Last year the quality of music was as poor as its been (very subjective i appreciate).. But the  decision to give up the saturday to Mumfords was debateable at best, particulary as Mumfords insisted that there was no alternative playing against them on the 2nd stage...

Changing out the Poetry Tent for a Carlsberg Lounge, introducing a Marks & Spencer fenced off area, reducing the independent food choices by replacing with more burgers & chinese, putting caravans and campers further back to fit in more glamping...

All these things combined make it feel like it is losing its spirit..

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Bring a coat! Message me what sort of things you want to do

Hello fightoffyour,

I have just won a competition and the prize is a couple of first class Interrail tickets, valid for a month, which we intend to use in September of this year. Not sure if you've seen, but I have asked people off efests for their tips on where to go, where to stay, where to eat etc. Anyway, I've got more than a little desire to visit Krakow. As I'm formulating a plan to have our flight path dictated to by efesters (my wife doesn't know about this yet!), I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice on cheap to reasonably priced accommodation that hopefully would be a little alternative / whacky. Same goes for an eating establishment, and possibly for an off the tourist trail place to visit. Not asking for much, am I !?

Anyway, if you want to do this (at all!) off line then I'll PM you. Just let me know.

Cheers / Twoje zdrowie   :)

On 18/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Good luck with the marathon. I had a place for this year but have deferred it to 2019. Babies and marathon training don’t mix well.

We have a 2.5 year old and a four month old and my missus is deep into training for the London Marathon. 

In addition to that, in the last year I have quit a (dream) job, sold a house, bought a house  (hopefully) in  Pilton,  relocated from the South East (my missus left her home town in Sept for the first time when baba was just two days old), and I've started a new job too. 

So, looking forward to a relatively quiet year on a "new stuff" front. However couldn't resist a  festival so have booked "Bearded" for the first time and will be there with the missus  (if she survives the marathon) and two little ones. 

Also got Erasure, Deacon Blue and the Foo's booked so far. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Ohinever

4 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

We have a 2.5 year old and a four month old and my missus is deep into training for the London Marathon. 

In addition to that, in the last year I have quit a (dream) job, sold a house, bought a house  (hopefully) in  Pilton,  relocated from the South East (my missus left her home town in Sept for the first when baba was just two days old), and I've started a new job too. 

So, looking forward to a relatively quiet year on a "new stuff" front. However couldn't resist a  festival so have booked "Bearded" for the first time and will be there with the missus  (if she survives the marathon) and two little ones. 

Also got Erasure, Deacon Blue and the Foo's booked so far. 

Cheers! 

Welcome to pilton (hopefully )

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello fightoffyour,

I have just won a competition and the prize is a couple of first class Interrail tickets, valid for a month, which we intend to use in September of this year. Not sure if you've seen, but I have asked people off efests for their tips on where to go, where to stay, where to eat etc. Anyway, I've got more than a little desire to visit Krakow. As I'm formulating a plan to have our flight path dictated to by efesters (my wife doesn't know about this yet!), I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice on cheap to reasonably priced accommodation that hopefully would be a little alternative / whacky. Same goes for an eating establishment, and possibly for an off the tourist trail place to visit. Not asking for much, am I !?

Anyway, if you want to do this (at all!) off line then I'll PM you. Just let me know.

Cheers / Twoje zdrowie   :)

My favourite destination is Nice.  Would be a great train trip down.  Lots of places to visit.  As for accommodation have a look at www.nicepebbles.com they are a letting agency for properties in Nice.  Nice Old Town would be a good base. I won't bother to detail places to eat unless you decide to go for it.  If you do, I've got plenty of recommendations and not too expensive.

4 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

My favourite destination is Nice.  Would be a great train trip down.  Lots of places to visit.  As for accommodation have a look at www.nicepebbles.com they are a letting agency for properties in Nice.  Nice Old Town would be a good base. I won't bother to detail places to eat unless you decide to go for it.  If you do, I've got plenty of recommendations and not too expensive.

I flew in to Nice airport once with a shed load of cocaine on me. I really didn't give a fuck about anything in those days. To say that I'd gone off the rails would be an understatement. I've taken hard drugs through customs a number of times, but very much doubt that I would do it again. Maybe if I was in a car taking a ferry, but not through an airport again. 

I didn't get to look around Nice as I only had a couple of hours or so before needing to get a train to Marseilles. From there I went to a hotel overlooking Château d'If. Somewhere along the line me and my now, thankfully, ex girlfriend had picked up some very fine red wines. Although we went out often, I really really enjoyed my time on the balcony overlooking the island whilst drinking red wine and snorting cocaine. Let's face it, it doesn't get much better than that.

I'll put Nice in to the equation grumpy, and if it's a hit I'll get back to you about eateries. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming people. Let's get this efests trip on the road - or rail really.

• Upvote 1

On 20/01/2018 at 2:01 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have, for many a year, hankered to go to The Burning Man Festival. For reasons that I'll not go in to right now, it's technically impossible for me to go now - as in, at all. The thing that put me off when I could have gone is the amount of preparation that it would take, not only to get there, but to survive there as well. To me, it would seem to be the hardest festival to pull off attending. There are two major kids on the block as far as festivals go, as far as I'm concerned - that's Glastonbury and The Burning Man. I guess I'll have to settle for having been able to tick off one of them, at least.

If you do go to The Burning Man, I wish you a fab time. :)

Thanks Yog, that actually helps. 

I have a friend who has a car and if shes willing to drive down (20hrs) with all our stuff I think we can do it. If i have to fly down I think it will end up being too expensive. It is really a fest you have to be extremely prepared. 

I'll let you know how it pans out! 

21 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Ive been going to Latitude for the past few years and have really liked the laid back contrast to Glastonbury... Last year the quality of music was as poor as its been (very subjective i appreciate).. But the  decision to give up the saturday to Mumfords was debateable at best, particulary as Mumfords insisted that there was no alternative playing against them on the 2nd stage...

Changing out the Poetry Tent for a Carlsberg Lounge, introducing a Marks & Spencer fenced off area, reducing the independent food choices by replacing with more burgers & chinese, putting caravans and campers further back to fit in more glamping...

All these things combined make it feel like it is losing its spirit..

Yikes that's all pretty shit. Some crappy behaviour from Mumfords too.

Gonna have a BBQ on the Saturday of Glastonbury weekend for all our crew. Determined to make it the best BBQ ever, have already started planning it. The very best BBQed food I can find, incredible drinks selection, awesome tunes on the stereo in the garden, World Cup on the tv in the lounge... Oh yes.

Guaranteed to shit it down with rain.

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

Gonna have a BBQ on the Saturday of Glastonbury weekend for all our crew. Determined to make it the best BBQ ever, have already started planning it. The very best BBQed food I can find, incredible drinks selection, awesome tunes on the stereo in the garden, World Cup on the tv in the lounge... Oh yes.

Guaranteed to shit it down with rain.

Nice idea, might steal that :ph34r:

On 1/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, Homer said:

Really? never sure I'll get there! Got a 1/2 coming up as prep for the Rat Race in May (13 mile Tough Mudder type thing!). Can;t wait!

Yes really, the buzz of the crowds when running is amazing! good luck with it all!! 

On 1/20/2018 at 4:59 AM, MetaKate said:

Burning Man would be way cool! You have to be super prepared and the PTB  will not let you in if they think you are not. I think it would be too hot for my liking but man the photography that comes out of there is amazing. G.L.  
http://www.scottlondon.com/photo/bestof/001.html

P.S. I cry at the loss of my beloved X-Fest in Calgary on the Labour Day weekend. :(

6 minutes ago, JacquelineS said:

Burning Man would be way cool! You have to be super prepared and the PTB  will not let you in if they think you are not. I think it would be too hot for my liking but man the photography that comes out of there is amazing. G.L.  

P.S. I cry at the loss of my beloved X-Fest in Calgary on the Labour Day weekend. :(

Hello JacquelineS,

Thanks for posting that link to the photos. I've only looked ar 20 of them - I'm saving the rest for later this evening, and am looking forward to viewing them. The creativity and vision really is off the scale. There are some fine minds and crafts people at work there. Although I've wanted to go for many a year now, in reality, it would probably be too hot for my liking too. I've been to Egypt a fair few times when it was 40 degrees celcius, and hacked that, but have always been on a dive boat out at sea where there was a constant breeze. I really don't think that I could cope in that heat without a cool breeze. I know that they do get winds at The Burning Man, but they just result in sand storms, which must be difficult  to contend with.

I remember being at The Other Stage (it may not have been called this at the time) at Glastonbury one year and watching some band, the name of which eludes me right now. Anyway, I then heard music behind me, so turned around to see a ship kind of similar to photo 7 on your 100 photos. I can't remember if it had sails though. What I seem to recall is that it had a raised back (like the timber ships of old) where there was a dj playing on a set of decks hooked up to a fairly loud sound system. It was a fantastic sight. :)

Tickets bought for Forbidden Fruit and Mad Cool Festival. I reckon I'll be getting one for Body & Soul as well but I haven't done it yet. I'm going to France for a week in June so if I get 3 festivals and one holiday in that just about makes up for no glasto (not really)

14 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

Wow those pictures are amazing. The creativity is just insane. I always do an insane amount of research/planning before going to a fest...(if you ever need anything weird at glasto, ive probably brought it) and burning man planning actual is thrilling to me because there is so much involved (this all may go out the window if my friend isnt willing to drive down). 

I think i will be fine with the heat... i imagine its quite dry and it cools off fast when the sun goes down. 

As for x-fest, ive only been in Calgary a year now so I've never attended, but that is still sad... I'm bummed pemberton and squamish are cancelled also! I'm hoping sasquatch comes out with a decent lineup as its a quick 9h drive and would be cheap to go for sure!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Wow those pictures are amazing. The creativity is just insane. I always do an insane amount of research/planning before going to a fest...(if you ever need anything weird at glasto, ive probably brought it) and burning man planning actual is thrilling to me because there is so much involved (this all may go out the window if my friend isnt willing to drive down). 

I think i will be fine with the heat... i imagine its quite dry and it cools off fast when the sun goes down. 

As for x-fest, ive only been in Calgary a year now so I've never attended, but that is still sad... I'm bummed pemberton and squamish are cancelled also! I'm hoping sasquatch comes out with a decent lineup as its a quick 9h drive and would be cheap to go for sure!

HelloMetaKate,

A quick 9h drive! I don't think anybody in the UK would call a 9h drive quick. Will keep my fingers crossed for you getting to Burning Man - only a 29h drive. That's dedication doe you.