Coachella 2018

SonicSleuth

Coachella 2018 is officially lined up! If this is your type of pain, enjoy! 

"The lineup for the 19th annual Coachella Festival has been announced, with Beyonce, the Weeknd, and Eminem headlining Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, respectively.

Other big named include SZA, HAIM, Kygo, Jamiroquai, Tyler the Creator, Post Malone, Portugal the Man, ODESZA, Migos, Cardi B, and St. Vincent."

Coachella.thumb.jpg.3d7426c700398ad5bae4c7f85f147338.jpg

1 hour ago, SonicSleuth said:

Coachella 2018 is officially lined up! If this is your type of pain, enjoy! 

"The lineup for the 19th annual Coachella Festival has been announced, with Beyonce, the Weeknd, and Eminem headlining Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, respectively.

Other big named include SZA, HAIM, Kygo, Jamiroquai, Tyler the Creator, Post Malone, Portugal the Man, ODESZA, Migos, Cardi B, and St. Vincent."

Coachella.thumb.jpg.3d7426c700398ad5bae4c7f85f147338.jpg

To be honest I thought it had been bad for a couple of years but it's really bad now. The days are gone when you don't know the headliners before they are announced. The Weeknd and Jamiroquai the same day is good....if they don't clash.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I just can't believe that's the lineup they roll out for $429 US. They do have camping there, so it saves some money, but compared to the EU festivals in lineup *and* cost, it's just a mess. They consider themselves the best US festival, I cannot see that anymore.

• Upvote 1

hqdefault.jpg

edit: ^ not directed at anyone else, it's legit me. why does coachella look like this? the acquisition of pitchfork by conde nast? trying to appeal to the disenfranchised fyre festival attendees? a practical joke involving getting the guy from talking heads to perform to tumbleweeds in a desert?

Edited by dentalplan

Whenever I look at a major festival poster and see a one-album artists claiming the second spot of the day it piss me off. Im looking at you SZA, no matter how good is this album. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think these stuff can happen only in the US (or at a very long festival in Europe like Sziget). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What is ODESZA and why is it second on the bill?

And like above, SZA’s album is fantastic but second on the bill as well? Maybe they’re anticipating her blowing up quite a bit in the next few months but it still seems like a stretch. 

Overall I could probably make a good weekend of it but they’re clearly gearing it towards a different audience than a few years ago, especially with those headliners, and I’m sure a lot of long time attendees will be pissed. 

2 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

I just can't believe that's the lineup they roll out for $429 US. They do have camping there, so it saves some money, but compared to the EU festivals in lineup *and* cost, it's just a mess. They consider themselves the best US festival, I cannot see that anymore.

You pay for camping though extra....as you do at Reading now....without them actually telling you so.

30 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

Whenever I look at a major festival poster and see a one-album artists claiming the second spot of the day it piss me off. Im looking at you SZA, no matter how good is this album. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think these stuff can happen only in the US (or at a very long festival in Europe like Sziget). 

You don't believe a one-album act has ever played or ever does play a festival outside of the US subbing?

22 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

SZA has done two albums.

I dont know much about her so I looked at her studio albums discography  @ Wikipedia before I wrote my post. Maybe the information there is incomplete. 

Anyway, my opinion is that a major festival that claim to be one of the best or THE best of its kind in a country shouldn't have artists with one album play so high at the bill, regardless of what I think about the artist or the album. 

19 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

I dont know much about her so I looked at her studio albums discography  @ Wikipedia before I wrote my post. Maybe the information there is incomplete. 

Anyway, my opinion is that a major festival that claim to be one of the best or THE best of its kind in a country shouldn't have artists with one album play so high at the bill, regardless of what I think about the artist or the album. 

A lot of Americans are loving it which I guess is the aim. The year I went tbh a lot of them hated it....it did have a lot of British act interest though and hasn't been as good since. It's not even like the headliners have killed their budget.

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

What is ODESZA and why is it second on the bill?

And like above, SZA’s album is fantastic but second on the bill as well? Maybe they’re anticipating her blowing up quite a bit in the next few months but it still seems like a stretch. 

Overall I could probably make a good weekend of it but they’re clearly gearing it towards a different audience than a few years ago, especially with those headliners, and I’m sure a lot of long time attendees will be pissed. 

I cant tell if you're kidding or not? ODESZA are huge.... Nominated for a grammy, probably a similar level of fame to Flume, Justice etc. (Especially in terms of pioneering the future bass genre). They are especially big in the US so Im kinda suprised theyre that far down tbh.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I've never ever heard of Odesza either and I follow music exhaustively. I guess they are one of those bands that are huge in the US and barely known in Europe.

They're known in Europe too. Not huge like the USA but they are in the middle of any lineup in Europe. Like here for example

http://meltfestival.de/en/

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

A lot of Americans are loving it which I guess is the aim. The year I went tbh a lot of them hated it....it did have a lot of British act interest though and hasn't been as good since. It's not even like the headliners have killed their budget.

Was that the Kasabian/Arctics/Pulp year? I loved that year!

2 hours ago, SonicSleuth said:

Was that the Kasabian/Arctics/Pulp year? I loved that year!

It wasn't, it was The Stone Roses/Blur, Pheonix and RHCP. It is believed that The Rolling Stones were lined up over Pheonix and considering how much money Golden Voice have theb the band must have been offered ridiculous money to do their own dates instead. Obvs The Stones would have made it even more epic but that being said, I wanted to see finishing acts on a different stage to main as well so half of New Order and Knife Party was okay.

For me though that year was ridiculous but they don't book it hoping someone from England likes it. I must admit we booked tickets on the presale and it was a year back when no one knew when the line-up was coming. Obvs as it's early morning here I barely slept the night before as a yellow banner on KROQ website signalled it was coming that night.....I woke up and just scrolled down very slowly and just buzzed when I saw the top line of Roses/Blur thinking fuck they are much bigger in the UK and people here would kill for then on the same line-up let alone the same day!....naturally they both would have understood what they wrre given was above their level as it was so agreed and crowd wise it was clear.

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It wasn't, it was The Stone Roses/Blur, Pheonix and RHCP. It is believed that The Rolling Stones were lined up over Pheonix and considering how much money Golden Voice have theb the band must have been offered ridiculous money to do their own dates instead. Obvs The Stones would have made it even more epic but that being said, I wanted to see finishing acts on a different stage to main as well so half of New Order and Knife Party was okay.

They booked RHCP last minute, not Phoenix because of The Stones thing..