Blur 2009 - BBC2

Gnomicide

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

My mate was sick all over himself on the floor in front of his other half and kids and had to be led off at the end of Primal Scream and missed the Stones. He spent the night in Glasto A&E.

We all tried to laugh at him while he was involuntarily redecorating his own clothing in front of his own progeny - but in truth it was just too tragic even for that.

He's not been allowed back since by his mrs. RIP.

#jesuishomer'smate

1 hour ago, Homer said:

My mate was sick all over himself on the floor in front of his other half and kids and had to be led off at the end of Primal Scream and missed the Stones. He spent the night in Glasto A&E.

We all tried to laugh at him while he was involuntarily redecorating his own clothing in front of his own progeny - but in truth it was just too tragic even for that.

He's not been allowed back since by his mrs. RIP.

must have been up there the same time as me then ... I was ambulanced out after the stones with an infected leg ... I got a good view of peoples legs whilst watching the stones sat on the ground 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

must have been up there the same time as me then ... I was ambulanced out after the stones with an infected leg ... I got a good view of peoples legs whilst watching the stones sat on the ground 

Ooh, you can corroborate his story then. He insisted being in A&E all night was 'a right laugh'. I reckon, however, that he was trying to put a brave face on the fact that he'd puked over himself in front of his children and missed the Stones. How did you find it up there?

Sorry to hear about the leg - were you okay?

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Ooh, you can corroborate his story then. He insisted being in A&E all night was 'a right laugh'. I reckon, however, that he was trying to put a brave face on the fact that he'd puked over himself in front of his children and missed the Stones. How did you find it up there?

Sorry to hear about the leg - were you okay?

I was fine in the end but it did mean missing a day of glastonbury ...I don't remember anyone else up there unfortunately because I was being looked after by a couple of mates that were slightly more worse for wear than me ... It was the type one diabetes that didn't help me !! so I was on a antibiotic drip for a few days ... but luckily they transferred me to my local hospital Taunton ... rather than the duty hospital for the night Bath where I assume your friend went .... It did provide them with some amusement as I was in my fancy dress for a little while preferable to the hospital clothes !! and I happened to know the paramedic that took me to hospital and the porter who moved me about much to there amusement im sure 

Blur still stands as the best gig I have ever seen and I'm not sure it will ever be beaten. The whole weekend was one of not really knowing the headliners that well and having a good option on the Other stage (Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party and Prodigy) if after 10-15 mins we didn't like them. We ended up staying through all 3 pyramid headliners (including NY's 20 minute rendition of Rocking and Bruces over-run). Odd one that Just Jack earlier on Sunday at JP was the unexpectedly best thing I'd seen to that point.

Anyway Blur were all the things people have already said. Alex James said on Nowhere Left to Run that something changed that night and he is absolutely spot on. It was a special evening where the band fed off the crowd and the crowd fed off the band and that synergy elevated everything higher than I think anyone knew possible. I came in aware of their stuff, I left absolutely smitten with something in my eye and unable to speak trying to comprehend what I had just experienced. A dry weekend was then drowned out at 1am while in the bus queue but thats another story...

Stones was very different. While Blur felt like a "....well OK ....OH WOW", Stones year felt very Stones centric and only on Sunday did it let up and feel more like Glasto again. Not that it was a bad thing. I almost hyperventilated when they were announced and I couldn't believe I was getting to see them. I just remember a carpet of people unlike anything I've ever seen before. that field was SO full even with the extra capacity and the Stones did their thing which was of course amazing and it was a moment you can say "I was there". A mate of mine somehow managed to find us in the middle of the crowd mid-gig having turned up late, passed out, went to get water, appeared back again, passed out again then retreated to the edge for the rest of the gig. How he did this remains a mystery.

For me though... Blur was amazing and listening to the Hyde Park gig recordings doesn't quite capture the immensity of Glasto. I really hope the full gig exists recorded somewhere and it sees the light of day at some point. It was so special. That hour on iPlayer still makes me grin like a Cheshire Cat for now though.