Blur 2009 - BBC2

Gnomicide

31 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

They’ve never shown the full gig. Depressing.

I like the fact that they don't, maintains some of the mystique. Probably my favourite experience in the Pyramid field since I started going in 2008. Definitely one of those "I was there" moments, particularly for "Tender" and "To the End"

Yes. Told this story on ‘ere many times but bears repeating. Was stood close to two older, sober, festival goers - late 50’s I reckon. Both sat resolutely in chairs for first couple songs, the fella flicking through a paper (!). By halfway both singing like drains. By the end a catharsis/awakening came over the two of ‘em. Both very overcome with emotion. Lot of tears. Wonderful. Like Mardy for Jez Corbyn it was.

Edited by Wooderson
  • Like 2

On top of hating myself for not going until 2010, there's always a nagging doubt that I wouldn't have watched this set if I had been there. 

I liked some Blur stuff at the time but didn't pay them much attention until after seeing the Glastonbury set on tv. I wonder if because I would have been at the Pyramid for Neil and Bruce, would I have wanted to experience something else on the night?

I tell myself I'd have listened to them more before I went. I'd have joined this forum sooner, was the opinion beforehand that it wasn't to be missed? Looking at the other main stages I don't think there was much competition but would King Porter Stomp or the Bunnymen have dragged me away?

But imagine being there and missing it. Better than not being there at all but grim.

For the people there in 09 and again for the Stones in 2013, which would you say was the more iconic Glastonbury gig? Appreciating that Bowie still stacks up as number 1 ever for a lot of posters, but it seems like Blur and The Stones are perceived as the best 2 headliners of the last 10 years. 

9 minutes ago, reflekting said:

For the people there in 09 and again for the Stones in 2013, which would you say was the more iconic Glastonbury gig? Appreciating that Bowie still stacks up as number 1 ever for a lot of posters, but it seems like Blur and The Stones are perceived as the best 2 headliners of the last 10 years. 

When the Stones played I found that I enjoyed the anticipation during the day more than the show itself. It was the first time I'd seen the "Pyramid Field Full" signs. I probably didn't enjoy it so much as I was right at the back, past the tree, so the sound was poor. It was still good and I'm glad I experienced it though.

The Blur show in 2009 was something else. I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was. There's something magical in the air on a Sunday night at the Pyramid when it all comes together. It feels like there's a mutual "we made it through another five days" vibe about the place, but also a melancholy atmosphere that it's all coming to an end again. Most are determined the see the weekend out in the right way. There's a buzz that I can't describe, people were lighting small fires and candles nearer the back, chinese lanterns were being set off (I don't condone their use btw, but you can't argue that they look great floating in the sky), then the gig itself was hit after hit, the band fed off of the energy of the crowd. It was magic.

29 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I tell myself I'd have listened to them more before I went. I'd have joined this forum sooner, was the opinion beforehand that it wasn't to be missed?

I went as a casual fan and gave up the chance to see The Prodigy (I'm a Prodigy fanboy too) who were headlining the Other Stage at the same time. Not once have I ever regretted it. 

To answer your question, I don't recall there being a huge anticipation before the festival, partly because they'd played a few times before, maybe also because they had the Hyde Park gigs coming up. I think had it been a one-off show maybe the hype would have been greater. That said, Glastonbury had the feeling of a one-off show on the night.

I'm a blur fan so I was already excited as thought I would never see then perform together again.

For me it was the most magical of nights that probably will not be repeated , the whole crowd had energy which the band just fed off. 

From the first song it just clicked and keep building up.

I know it's cliche but tender still makes me shed a tear when watching back.

Stones was great but don't think it ever got the response blur did.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

On top of hating myself for not going until 2010, there's always a nagging doubt that I wouldn't have watched this set if I had been there. 

I liked some Blur stuff at the time but didn't pay them much attention until after seeing the Glastonbury set on tv. I wonder if because I would have been at the Pyramid for Neil and Bruce, would I have wanted to experience something else on the night?

I tell myself I'd have listened to them more before I went. I'd have joined this forum sooner, was the opinion beforehand that it wasn't to be missed? Looking at the other main stages I don't think there was much competition but would King Porter Stomp or the Bunnymen have dragged me away?

But imagine being there and missing it. Better than not being there at all but grim.

Don't worry about,  us cool kids were at Black Eyed Peas. Boom Boom Pow!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

When the Stones played I found that I enjoyed the anticipation during the day more than the show itself. It was the first time I'd seen the "Pyramid Field Full" signs. I probably didn't enjoy it so much as I was right at the back, past the tree, so the sound was poor. It was still good and I'm glad I experienced it though.

The Blur show in 2009 was something else. I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was. There's something magical in the air on a Sunday night at the Pyramid when it all comes together. It feels like there's a mutual "we made it through another five days" vibe about the place, but also a melancholy atmosphere that it's all coming to an end again. Most are determined the see the weekend out in the right way. There's a buzz that I can't describe, people were lighting small fires and candles nearer the back, chinese lanterns were being set off (I don't condone their use btw, but you can't argue that they look great floating in the sky), then the gig itself was hit after hit, the band fed off of the energy of the crowd. It was magic.

Agree with this, The Stones were good but it was more about the event and sense of occasion rather than the actual performance.

2 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

I went as a casual fan and gave up the chance to see The Prodigy (I'm a Prodigy fanboy too) who were headlining the Other Stage at the same time. Not once have I ever regretted it. 

To answer your question, I don't recall there being a huge anticipation before the festival, partly because they'd played a few times before, maybe also because they had the Hyde Park gigs coming up. I think had it been a one-off show maybe the hype would have been greater. That said, Glastonbury had the feeling of a one-off show on the night.

The pre-fest headliner hype train on ‘ere was Springsteen>Blur>Neil. I’ve scarcely felt an atmos like the Saturday evening from 4pm onwards on the site. He didn’t quite match expectations howevs.

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

No one expected it to be as good as it was mate. We *hoped* it’d be ace like every headliner. By 5 songs in (Beetlebum?) it felt like the band had doused the entire crowd in catnip/petroleum/sherbet. When things dipped below *sheer bliss* it was to expose the audience to an emotional catharsis that only Glastonbury Festival can achieve. Only gig I’ve been to where grown men literally *burst* into tears of joy. Not me btw guv. 

• Like 2

I obviously can't compare the two but the Stones gig was different level shit to everything that had come before or that I've experienced since. 

The whole thing washed over me like a loved up, glorious wave of joy. Shared the whole thing with a stranger I'd got talking to while waiting for them to come on. At the end we parted with a handshake, a slap on the back and "fuck me, that was.... incredible".

I'd intended on heading off to Avalon but it took an age to get out the pit so I ended up just retiring, exhausted and exhilarated, back to my tent.

The Stones, man, well they're the Stones aren't they, you'd have been mad yto have missed it. They were superb. But did  they nail it good and proper like what Blur did? Nah, Blur captured every living dying last breath of that festival and owned it from start to finish. It was crazy, manic, ups and downs and we were all in bits by the end. One of the best I've seen on that stage. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

I don't suppose anyone's got the full set for this? I remember enjoying it on the telly when I must've been around 13 but feel like I'd appreciate it more now I'm older/more into the band!

Full set never been shown mate.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:42 PM, reflekting said:

Blur for sure, though the stones were brill. Maybe musically they were on par, but blur had something special about it. I guess that was down to the fact the band seemed to really genuinely be overwhelmed by it whereas the stones patter was obviously just part of the act. I was right down the front for blur with a load of yoof and it was well ace.

The stones were brill too mind.

Portishead in 2013 were better than both though.

• Upvote 1