Lollapalooza Paris 2018

AAlex

2 hours ago, dave0h said:

What's the chances I'll snag a cheap last minute day pass for Saturday? I'm only going Sunday right now but if I could get one half way through the day and see Depeche Mode again that would be great 

Check ticketswap. There are some there   You can check their facebook event page too. Regular price is 80 Euros

https://www.ticketswap.com/event/lollapalooza-paris-2018/saturday/c8f76874-c7df-4120-aa02-1bc421b6b587/730152

Edited by birchtree29

31 minutes ago, jjhoney said:

Anyone know if you can take water in (unopened if anything)? Thanks

Last year they allowed food and only water bottles without a cap. This year it looks like it is the same rule https://www.lollaparis.com/en/security-infos/

ALLOWED OBJECTS
Simple disposable or pocket cameras
Sandwiches, plastic water bottle without stopper, camelbak
Retractable umbrellas without pin
Plastic and blankets
Sun lotion and sun glasses
Small backpacks or other bags

Edited by birchtree29

I had a good time at this overall. Allowed me to catch a few of the bands I skipped at Mad Cool. 

The venue itself is very cookie cutter, but everything went smoothly. Number one complaint is that it’s incredibly difficult to get there. 

Overall for the weekend:

1) Depeche Mode was a band I could never really get into listening at home, but they have themselves one of the most charismatic frontmen in existence. Ended up being the highlight of the weekend  

2) Managed to snag a spot 10 feet away from Noel Gallagher. Good to see him playing ‘Wonderwall’ on a regular basis, so even though he doesn’t bring a ton of energy some of the songs he wrote are iconic. 

3) Gorillaz are another band that definitely benefit from a live show. It’s tough having albums so full of guest cameos because they rarely travel with the band, but nearly all the bands hold up despite this. 

4) Kasabian put on one hell of a live show. First time seeing them and one of the main reasons I attended this after Mad Cool. 

5) The Killers haven’t a good song in years, but Brandon Flowers puts on a good show. They also invited a fan on stage to take over drumming for a song, so that was a cool moment. 

6) Made a point to see half of Parov Stelar. What a brilliant unique sound. 

7) Do not for the life of me understand how Travis Scott has become has big as he has. I was stuck listening a stage over and it consisted of him shouting generic phrases half the show. 

8 Nekfeu actually sounded pretty good, but went over by nearly 10 minutes into The Killers set. I’ve never seen this at a festival ever where two artists were playing simultaneously at the two main stages. It was a bit of a shit move to show a lack of respect for other artists. 

Edited by ThisIsHappening
  • Upvote 1

I had a great experience. It was much better than I expected. This festival helped me a lot with all the clashes I had at Mad Cool.

We stayed near the museums and each day we used the chauffeur prive app that google maps suggested. It had the same interface with uber and 5 of our rides were 5 euros off so it took us around 12 Euros to go there each day. Going back was a hassle but not as bad as Mad Cool was.

The weather was amazing. I was kind of worried after watching a lot of videos from last year where it rained all they long. Both days were sunny and hot.

Best ones for me:

1) Gorillaz: We got a great spot after leaving the Killers right after they played "Read My Mind". Gorillaz had a great setlist but I was quite surprised there were a lot of people at the front who didn't even know the lyrics of Clint Eastwood or Dirty Harry. Everyone lost it at Feel Good Inc though. I also never thought that I would ever see Damon Albarn and Noel Gallagher on the same stage after all the Battle of Britpop: Blur ve Oasis.

2) The Killers: This was my first time seeing them and something very strange has happened. Nekfeu, a French rap artist, who was on Main Stage 1 didn’t end his set at 20:30 (8:30pm) which was right before the Killers on Main Stage 2. The Killers waited for nearly 10 minutes for Nekfeu to finish to don’t cause any overlap but suddenly they just got on the stage with Mr. Brightside which got massive crowd reaction compared to what Nekfeu was trying to sing at that time. The crowd’s reaction was very similar to the one at Glastonbury 2017. The Killers probably took out one song from their setlist (might be Tyson vs Douglas) and played Mr. Brightside again at the end. Brandon didn't change his suit to save time as well. I blame both Nekfeu and Lollapalooza Paris’ stage managers for this. They could’ve easily cut Nekfeu’s sound which is what usually bigger festivals like Coachella does in cases like these but I am very happy that Mr. Brightside was played twice. 

3) Portugal The Man: Due to Depeche Mode and Diplo clash, their stage was very empty. I was able to see them up so close. I wish the Alternative Stage had screens for visuals though. Even the radio stage at Mad Cool had screens and Portugal The Man's visual show was something that I missed at Lollapalooza Paris.

4) Kasabian: It was my first time seeing them and they were great live. I wish Travis Scott gave them the 20 minutes from his timeslot that he didn't use. Kasabian would've easily used that.

5) Bomba Estereo: Probably the biggest surprise for me at the festival. We were just passing by the alternative stage and everyone was going crazy to all of their songs. It was a big dance party.

6) Rag'N'Bone Man: I want to thank him for not cancelling this performance after cancelling 2 shows last week. I couldn't see him at Mad Cool and I was able to watch him sang Human from the barrier.

7) Dua Lipa: Her Mad Cool performance was better than this one but she probably had the biggest crowd at the main stage besides the headliners. 

I wish they gave Nekfeu's spot to Years and Years or Parov Stelar though. He both disrespected the Killers and their fans and also he had probably the smallest main stage crowd I have ever seen. Overall it was a great festival though. The cashless system was easy to use and the cell service was quite good. There were not a lot of people too. Especially Saturday was pretty empty, it felt great to switch stages so easily.

Edited by birchtree29

Turned up fairly late on both days (particularly the Sunday) but enjoyed myself overall.

Gorillaz and Kasabian were the stand-outs. The Killers playing an opening Brightside to tell Nekfeu to go away was brilliant, but I felt I've seen them better elsewhere, and I felt the same about Depeche Mode, although World In My Eyes and Everything Counts were particularly awesome. Nothing But Thieves also did well despite the stage being broken meaning they had to cut half their set, and Bomba Estereo were pretty rad.

My first overseas festival and i really enjoyed it. We stayed at a hotel in Cambronne area. As not been in Paris for 30yrs, and the wife not at all, we booked a bus tour on the Saturday mornings my and got to the festival around 3pm. Had a look around and grabbed a beer or two and sat down late on and caught Bastille (ok) and Kasabian (brilliant, as usual) before Depeche Mode. Decent set by the veterans and finishing with Just can’t get enough was a master stroke. Walked back to the Metro stop and got on pretty quickly.

On the Sunday we had a river cruise and then went onto the festival. Tom Walker was brilliant (album out in October) and even got a selfie with him as he was in the crowd for Catfish and the Bottlemen, who I like but they sounded terrible.

Stereophonics were awesome and Noel Gallagher was just okay.....needs Liam to assist with crowd interaction?

Killers had the issue with Nekfue going over and this was the only downside I had with the two main stages side to side all weekend. Decent set but they were so much better at Latitude a week earlier. Gorillaz were brilliant right from the off.

Cashless wristbands- great idea

Bars - really quick service, very few q’s 

Toilets - wife says they were great all weekend

Cup returns - biggest q of the weekend so took them home 

will go again if the line up is suitable 

Only went Sunday - had a great time! Was right up front for Noel and had a blast. I was the obnoxious one who kept yelling he loved him, I got overwhelmed.. 
Stayed back for the Killers while the lady had a bite to eat.. It was pretty funny the way they started their set. I loved it.

We left during Reasons Unknown, and made our way in for Gorillaz. Went right side and was about 10 feet from the stage. Unbelievable show! Even without Del and DLS, loved every second of it. Hell of a way to close it out as well!