2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

25 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Oh this Iceage album is very good. For some reason I haven't bothered with them since I listened to a few songs in advance of Leeds 2012 where I ended up seeing Tribes instead.

They've changed a lot since then to be fair. The last album was a pretty strong (imo) release and a massive change in direction, this one is v good too but probably sounds more like a Marching Church record (frontman's other band, check them out).

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They've changed a lot since then to be fair. The last album was a pretty strong (imo) release and a massive change in direction, this one is v good too but probably sounds more like a Marching Church record (frontman's other band, check them out).

I don't remember what they even sounded like when I listened to them before but I remember liking what I heard. I'll check out their last album at some point then.

Listened to a couple of delicious releases this afternoon.

The newie by Tropical Fuck Storm - offshoot of The Drones if anyone listened to any of their stuff (not the Muse album) - is amazing just like the last album from the aforementioned. Good if you like Nick Cave but wish he was Australian and punk.

And the new Cut Worms album was a bit of a shock as I tried it out bc I got him/them mixed up with Flat Worms but it's a very nice listen. Fair warning though; it's such a throwback that it makes The Lemon Twigs sound practically futuristic.

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Listened to a couple of delicious releases this afternoon.

The newie by Tropical Fuck Storm - offshoot of The Drones if anyone listened to any of their stuff (not the Muse album) - is amazing just like the last album from the aforementioned. Good if you like Nick Cave but wish he was Australian and punk.

I seen The Drones on Spotify but never listened I just posted pics in my group chats laughing about their name.

You almost baited me with that Nick Cave line, too.

21 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I seen The Drones on Spotify but never listened I just posted pics in my group chats laughing about their name.

You almost baited me with that Nick Cave line, too.

watch out for The Drones drones drones drones drones (drone strike drone strike drone strike)

On 5/6/2018 at 7:21 AM, Mash011 said:

New Gambino here. He's back on the hip hop and doing it pretty fuckin well.

Credit where it's due. I'm coming around to this now. Was a bit put off by the generic trap-style lyrics but the beat is fierce and the hook is catchy, and it seems that the lyrics have deeper meaning than I first thought (first thought).

Did you hear that other song, "Saturday"? Looks like he's not fully returning to rap.

17 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Did you hear that other song, "Saturday"? Looks like he's not fully returning to rap.

Yeah I saw that - I really hope does a full full rap album, but I can’t see it.

Just listened to Cope for the first time in ages and forgot how good it was - Heartbeat still is an absolute banger.  

40 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah I saw that - I really hope does a full full rap album, but I can’t see it.

Just listened to Cope for the first time in ages and forgot how good it was - Heartbeat still is an absolute banger.  

And by Cope I mean ‘Camp’ (getting myself confused with the Aussie band there!)

I've never been that big into his stuff before Awaken My Love. Just all seemed very inconsistent and a bit insincere or J. Cole-level cheese but I did try because it's Don Glover and he's a clever and funny guy. I think if he did do a pure rap album again, it goes without saying that it'll be more acclaimed than the level he used to be at because of how much his star has risen recently but I'm a bit sceptical still. He managed to expertly up Atlanta's game this season though so can't say that he won't do that with Gambino.

I don't really think we've seen a great album from Gambino yet though each of them has their share of great tunes. Clearly there's a big artistic agenda involved now so hopefully that leads to a more exciting album.

Anyone seen him live since Awaken came out and can comment on this quality of his shows? Tempted by that Lovebox.

Edited by Mash011

8 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I don't really think we've seen a great album from Gambino yet though each of them has their share of great tunes. Clearly there's a big artistic agenda involved now so hopefully that leads to a more exciting album.

Anyone seen him live since Awaken came out and can comment on this quality of his shows? Tempted by that Lovebox.

Apparently it's one of his farewell shows, so if you are even slightly interested it is probably worth going to see it

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Apparently it's one of his farewell shows, so if you are even slightly interested it is probably worth going to see it

Interesting, where've you heard that? I know he's said he plans to retire the name at some point but with new stuff coming out I'm assuming it's something he's still on for the time being.

This new Blossoms is alright ya know. Nothing special ofc but I think they get a bit of a harder time than they deserve from some. Decent enough tunes I reckon and a solid option on an afternoon at a festival. Heavy when they're taking up big slots at yr R&Ls and IOWs though for sure.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

I would probably get a ticket pretty sharp, Lovebox posted earlier that they're expecting his day to sell out sometime today.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

This new Blossoms is alright ya know. Nothing special ofc but I think they get a bit of a harder time than they deserve from some. Decent enough tunes I reckon and a solid option on an afternoon at a festival. Heavy when they're taking up big slots at yr R&Ls and IOWs though for sure.

Bad band that lot.

Well it's definitely not new music but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it, The Fall's 19th album is finally making its way on to Spotify as a double disc re-issue. It's the only one I haven't heard properly so I'm looking forward to it, the way Steve Hanley talks about it in his book and the story behind it is intriguing. Single here for anyone that's not listened to it, it's not their best ahah.