2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.deezer.com/en/album/57465952

Chvrches have a new song out on Friday featuring Matt Berninger but it seems to be available just now on deezer if you have an account.

It's... fine, I guess. Another song from this new record that's nothing to write home about. Berninger's husky tones don't really fit well into the CHVRCHES sound, either.

Finally got round to this industrial, hip-hoppy sound-collage thing from Misha Mishajashvili, which could be my favourite album I've heard from this year so far, excellent work.

Also only just realised that Iceage dropped a new track a couple of weeks ago. Loving this, think I might pick up a ticket for their show at Scala in May. 

Not quite new music but in case you forgot they were about to drop AOTY this week (we're all still on that Above the Bodega, right?), Titus Andronicus have gone ahead and weirdly released the album's making-of documentary before the album itself. There's not really much to it but it does get me excited for this thing.

24 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Not quite new music but in case you forgot they were about to drop AOTY this week (we're all still on that Above the Bodega, right?), Titus Andronicus have gone ahead and weirdly released the album's making-of documentary before the album itself. There's not really much to it but it does get me excited for this thing.

Hopefully the rest of the album is good like the first song they released from it and not bad like the second one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'd never listened to anything from them before this year because no one listens to Titus Andronicus except Mash011 and FloorFiller (but he listens to every act in the world).

Chinaski does too. But check out their first two albums. 

To be fair Local Business and TMLT are both, much as I love them, pretty obviously flawed in ways that Airing and especially the Monitor weren't really. Local Business has that really weak production and TMLT, well, it's TMLT, being a flawed weird brilliant mess is it's whole thing. But if you ain't on board with this new one after Above the Bodega dropped, you're wrong, buddy.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'd never listened to anything from them before this year because no one listens to Titus Andronicus except Mash011 and FloorFiller (but he listens to every act in the world).

come on mate, how can you forget your good pal fast drones

Mash makes a grave mistake whenever he stops listening to Sufjan, an that's tha truth.

Just got out of First Aid Kit. Ruins has turned them into the very best FAK they can be, not a second of that set was anything less than top quality Swedish sisters pretending to be American hillbillies. Loved it.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You've not liked any of it since The Monitor? I like all their albums to date, but there's nothing in the 13 minutes of A Productive Cough that I've heard so far that has me interested in how this one turns out.

No I like all four, although TMLT had too much filler. Not really liking the NY Dolls direction they've gone in since Local Business, also they change line ups way too much it's frustrating. 

16 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

No I like all four, although TMLT had too much filler. Not really liking the NY Dolls direction they've gone in since Local Business, also they change line ups way too much it's frustrating. 

Can't honestly say much about the personnel involved in +@ because I wouldn't know any of the other members if they skelped me on the coupon. Re: TMLT, I can handle the gear changing as there are a bunch of different styles on show as he clearly wanted to make it as expansive as possible - in fact it's quite exciting how they dart from point to point, albeit a little bit exhausting. Plus they still rocked out on the rock and roll tracks, and I can assume that writing less shouty songs is gonna help preserve his cords in the long term. But frankly it seems like Patrick might be steering this one into an area that, frankly, he might not be very good at imo. But we'll see.

That art is really spectacularly bad. Chvrches have gone to shit and MGMT are relevant again, the indie synth pop world's turned upside down.

Re +@ personnel, I don't think it shows much in the recordings, which were always driven by Patrick, but live performance wise the shift that happened between 2015 and 16 was night and day. Praying they at last bring the pianos back in for whatever iteration tours this album, new stuff sounds like it might be hard to do without it.