Jump to content
the wonderwhy

2018 New Music

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Looking forward to finally finding out why those weirdo people follow their canine pals around on a leash. 

I quite liked the two songs he put out. Sound dece on the vinyl. 

Oh right I only listened to them through a subwoofer.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Connected By Love although it sounds like other things that I can't put my finger on yet. Not a big fan of Respect Commander. I've never even listened to Jack White's solo albums and only about 3 White Stripes albums so need to put that right at some point. I think my favourite record he's ever done that I've heard is Sea Of Cowards with The Dead Weather.

Has anyone else listened to the new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album that came out today? It's pretty cool. 

Edited by Odessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I like Connected By Love although it sounds like other things that I can't put my finger on yet. Not a big fan of Respect Commander. I've never even listened to Jack White's solo albums and only about 3 White Stripes albums so need to put that right at some point. I think my favourite record he's ever done that I've heard is Sea Of Cowards with The Dead Weather.

Has anyone else listened to the new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album that came out today? It's pretty cool. 

Listening to it now. On the second to last song atm. Found it decent so far but not very memorable. Need to give it some more goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Listening to it now. On the second to last song atm. Found it decent so far but not very memorable. Need to give it some more goes.

Yeah the one bit that stood out for me was the one track I'd already heard (Little Thing Gone Wild), but the fact I didn't get bored at all despite it being an hour long is a pretty good sign for future listens. They're at Mad Cool right? That lineup is too good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah the one bit that stood out for me was the one track I'd already heard (Little Thing Gone Wild), but the fact I didn't get bored at all despite it being an hour long is a pretty good sign for future listens. They're at Mad Cool right? That lineup is too good.

Yeah main reason I listened to it haha. I've seen em before in 2013 and they were good but I only knew 2 or 3 songs going into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to the BRMC album this afternoon and thought it was decent enough, as above I wasn't bored but equally I can barely remember specific songs. Their debut is still brilliant imo but it's all been downhill since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I listened to the BRMC album this afternoon and thought it was decent enough, as above I wasn't bored but equally I can barely remember specific songs. Their debut is still brilliant imo but it's all been downhill since. 

I'd agree about the debut being best but they're better now than they were ten years ago so it hasn't been all downhill. Mint live band as well, even for folk with gaps in the songs that they know/care about.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

I've never even listened to Jack White's solo albums and only about 3 White Stripes albums so need to put that right at some point.

Huh dis weird considering how you love all the big 2000's indie bands, and he was king of all of them. Put that right... today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd agree about the debut being best but they're better now than they were ten years ago so it hasn't been all downhill. Mint live band as well, even for folk with gaps in the songs that they know/care about.

Huh dis weird considering how you love all the big 2000's indie bands, and he was king of all of them. Put that right... today!

Okay you've actually gone back in time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd agree about the debut being best but they're better now than they were ten years ago so it hasn't been all downhill. Mint live band as well, even for folk with gaps in the songs that they know/care about.

Huh dis weird considering how you love all the big 2000's indie bands, and he was king of all of them. Put that right... today!

My post probably came across harsher than I'd intended. Their debut and Take Them On, On Your Own are both great, the former especially but most albums since have just been decent with a few great songs. When I first read your comment I disagreed on them being better now than they were ten years ago but looking back I'm not a big fan of Beat the Devil's Tattoo (the title track is maybe their best song though) and I had no idea they released an instrumental album so maybe you're right. 

Edit: Just seen the pitchfork review for that instrumental album :lol:

Edited by kingcrawler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Okay you've actually gone back in time now.

Oops my bad.

They're well keyboard.

0358eca2-9140-4a1a-9069-105474f251c8-bes

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Huh dis weird considering how you love all the big 2000's indie bands, and he was king of all of them. Put that right... today!

Yeah I know the self titled album, Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan (this was one of the first albums I remember listening to) and I like them all so fuck knows why I've never listened to the others. Will sort myself out soon haha.

I put Lazaretto on before and thought it was pretty decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I know the self titled album, Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan (this was one of the first albums I remember listening to) and I like them all so fuck knows why I've never listened to the others. Will sort myself out soon haha.

I put Lazaretto on before and thought it was pretty decent.

Awh man, wish I could listen to de stijl for the first time again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I know the self titled album, Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan (this was one of the first albums I remember listening to) and I like them all so fuck knows why I've never listened to the others. Will sort myself out soon haha.

I put Lazaretto on before and thought it was pretty decent.

All other Jack solo/White Stripes albums are better than Get Behind Me Satan, so if you like that one then this is going to be a good time for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

All other Jack solo/White Stripes albums are better than Get Behind Me Satan, so if you like that one then this is going to be a good time for you.

Tbf I don't think I've actually listened to it for over 10 years, other than Blue Orchid and My Doorbell. My mum dug out a top 10 albums list I made when I was 8 and I had it on there so I know I liked it then at least haha.

Gonna listen to De Stijl when I'm revising later, if only to rub it in to @priest17 that I can listen to it for the first time and he can't. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Odessa said:

 

Gonna listen to De Stijl when I'm revising later, if only to rub it in to @priest17 that I can listen to it for the first time and he can't. B)

Ahahah enjoy it man, you've got a loooot of catching up to do with it afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Tbf I don't think I've actually listened to it for over 10 years, other than Blue Orchid and My Doorbell. My mum dug out a top 10 albums list I made when I was 8 and I had it on there so I know I liked it then at least haha.

Gonna listen to De Stijl when I'm revising later, if only to rub it in to @priest17 that I can listen to it for the first time and he can't. B)

You're a lucky person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

waaaa imagine having never heard icky thump 

Yeah I know the singles, couldn't give you a good reason to have not heard the whole thing. 

But yeah, new music haha, sorry to derail the thread with a band who haven't put anything out for over a decade.

New Editors on Monday has me excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to say with confidence that Shame - Songs Of Praise is the AOTY so far. 

Not the greatest accolade seeing as though we’re only 13 days into the year, but it’s top of the pile thus far. 

Worth a listen if you like Idles debut last year. Also has a touch of The Cribs about it in places. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit early to start a BRITS thread (all your running commentry on which is a highlight of the year) but go Kate Tempest getting a best female nomination! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nikkic said:

I’m going to say with confidence that Shame - Songs Of Praise is the AOTY so far. 

Not the greatest accolade seeing as though we’re only 13 days into the year, but it’s top of the pile thus far. 

Worth a listen if you like Idles debut last year. Also has a touch of The Cribs about it in places. 

Yeah, the Shame album is really really good. Reminds me a bit of Eagulls, whatever happened to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah, the Shame album is really really good. Reminds me a bit of Eagulls, whatever happened to them?

They changed their style for the second album to underwhelming results and everybody stopped caring, which is a shame because the first album was ace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, priest17 said:

Bit early to start a BRITS thread (all your running commentry on which is a highlight of the year) but go Kate Tempest getting a best female nomination! 

Our running commentary of the Mercurys last year when she was on was good. A rousing chorus of "what the fuck is this?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×