2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

8 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

What's the bet that this AM album goes down like a led balloon and all the fans hate it, so for the next few records they 'go back to their roots' and release gradually more bland versions of the first two albums?

Really can't see it. Alex Turner has said in the past it feels like they're playing cover versions when they play early stuff (he said this at some point on the AM tour). Arctics have evolved on every record since FWN and I just can't see them going down such a dull route.

Those first two albums sound very of their time too, and albums replicating them in the future would sound super stale. Alex Turner is too talented to do it.

But I do think this record is gonna go down horribly. I'm wondering how much focus there will be on it when they tour, cos I'm picturing some very bored crowds.

Edited by Odessa

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Really can't see it. Alex Turner has said in the past it feels like they're playing cover versions when they play early stuff (he said this at some point on the AM tour). Arctics have evolved on every record since FWN and I just can't see them going down such a dull route.

Those first two albums sound very of their time too, and albums replicating them in the future would sound super stale. Alex Turner is too talented to do it.

But I do think this record is gonna go down horribly. I'm wondering how much focus there will be on it when they tour, cos I'm picturing some very bored crowds.

I hope they don't, I could just imagine it happening. I think Favourite Worst Nightmare's production sounds quite dated now.

From the reviews it's mostly slow, piano ballads right? I can't see how that would work in a live show of theirs at all. QOTSA had a couple of those on Like Clockwork but they managed to work them into their set pretty well, especially because they put some faster paced tracks on the record as well. 

At this point, I think Alex Turner - instead of being inspired by Tame Impala as I first thought the new Arctics album would be - is going to show off the results of three years watching Father John Misty videos on YouTube and saying "why didn't I think of that?".

Edited by dentalplan

53 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Much like (the current greatest UK band) The Cribs, Arctic Monkeys get an undeserved bad rep round here. Buzzing for the new album, if I get as good a shower anthem (apologies to my flat mate) as Sweet Dreams, TN we're in business.

The Cribs don't get a bad rep here tho, and neither do Arctics really.

22 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I hope they don't, I could just imagine it happening. I think Favourite Worst Nightmare's production sounds quite dated now.

From the reviews it's mostly slow, piano ballads right? I can't see how that would work in a live show of theirs at all. QOTSA had a couple of those on Like Clockwork but they managed to work them into their set pretty well, especially because they put some faster paced tracks on the record as well. 

Yeah I could easily see them working in 2 or 3 songs like that into the set, but they're not gonna limit it to that are they? 8 or so songs which are primarily Alex and a piano? I just don't see how that will possibly go down well for the masses. 

Listened to the Janelle Monae album a couple of times this morning. Liking it but not quite as good as I was hoping after hearing the first two singles, which I currently think are probably the best songs on there. Need to give it more time though as I'm not familiar enough with the rest of it yet.

Just listened to the new Sleep album and that sounds great. Had never heard of them beforehand.

For any fans of IDLES, some of them have teamed up with some of St Pierre Snake Invasion (another great band) and have an EP out next week and released this dirty tune recently. Should be good fun, this song is anyway. Inspired lyrics.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 11:52 AM, Mardy said:

This new album is pretty good, not quite up there with Archandroid for me, well not yet anyway. But it's got some absolute bangers on there, no doubt. Anybody got any news on a vinyl release?

Agreed. 

She needs to be seen live to be fully appreciated - her set at West Holts in 2011(I think) is in my top 5 Glasto moments, a visual feast.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:50 PM, Alex DeLarge said:

What's the bet that this AM album goes down like a led balloon and all the fans hate it, so for the next few records they 'go back to their roots' and release gradually more bland versions of the first two albums?

An LED balloon sounds ace!  I might get some for the next festival:

2018-new-led-light-balloon-luminous-ball

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2

Another new Drenge one, released for record store day so doubt it'll end up on any future album. There's a blog with a link to all the songs on the This Dance EP that people can win at the grand reopening tour or something here, although most the songs are mainly just noise (besides This Dance)