2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I saw an interview with Superorganism the other week and thought the guy doing most of the talking was an annoying prick. Giving the album a listen out of curiosity though and despite kinda wanting to hate it, I can't, which probably says a lot about it. At the very least it's interesting but it could be great, time will tell.

Just came back from seeing them at album release show in Kingston. Very fresh band, instrumentally strong, the front woman's a bit nuts. Great fun. Recommend checking them out - they seem to be on every decent Festival line up this summer!

Just now, chemica said:

Just came back from seeing them at album release show in Kingston. Very fresh band, instrumentally strong, the front woman's a bit nuts. Great fun. Recommend checking them out - they seem to be on every decent Festival line up this summer!

I've just impulse bought a ticket for the Gorilla here on Wednesday cos it's sold out and there was one on twickets, so glad to hear they're good live. I've really enjoyed this album after I stopped trying to hate it haha.

I've got Pale Waves the night before there who I'm also not convinced about and also impulse bought a spare ticket for, but I'm pretty sure they're fairly crap and I'm gonna be the oldest person there at 21. :lol:

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Er, it's probably the best one released so far but still not up to even his solo standards. I'm not really expecting anything from this new album but I'm glad it's brought him out of his live hiatus.

I'm certainly worried about this upcoming album, it seems he's gone really experimental with it. I do imagine some of these will be killer live though. I really like the new one, can see it getting a fair few plays by me.

21 hours ago, Quark said:

Begging favours kids, been completely out of the loop for the start of this year.  Any absolute recommendations from the first couple of months that I've missed?  Sure there's loads, but any bangers I should look up?

Jeff Rosenstock's - POST-

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus

and the new Lucy Dacus is excellent though I'm only on the second listen.

New song from Lost Under Heaven, I really liked their debut album so I’m quite excited for this. 

Of the new ones out today I’ve been enjoying Soccer Mommy, Moaning and Anna von Hausswolff’s albums. I listened to Superorganism’s debut last night and apart from a few songs I couldn’t really get into it. 

One listen only, but I dig it. It has that Tom Waits / Tonight's The Night thing going on.  Home Alone's a bit of a slog (basically sounds like Fucking Up meets Adam Raised A Cain) but otherwise it's got a wasted smacked out shambles vibe that I can fuck with.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

"(I'm) Like A Rolling Stone" is just fucking terrible. If you'd told me beforehand that it was just a cover but the lyrics have been changed to reflect how the song could apply to him, I'd have skipped that shit. Stickles must have been completely surrounded by yes-men for that idea to be conceived and recorded in front of human beings. Reminds me of that time Prince covered Creep but made sure to let everyone know he's not actually a creep, someone else is.

I think Pat's successfully made it clear now he's not interested in making The Monitor II or anything like that. I haven't got much to praise about the album but at least he's done that and Titus Andronicus may have a bit more room to breathe now. Hopefully he can consume his influences next time rather than lampooning them.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

"(I'm) Like A Rolling Stone" is just fucking terrible. If you'd told me beforehand that it was just a cover but the lyrics have been changed to reflect how the song could apply to him, I'd have skipped that shit. Stickles must have been completely surrounded by yes-men for that idea to be conceived and recorded in front of human beings. Reminds me of that time Prince covered Creep but made sure to let everyone know he's not actually a creep, someone else is.

I think Pat's successfully made it clear now he's not interested in making The Monitor II or anything like that. I haven't got much to praise about the album but at least he's done that and Titus Andronicus may have a bit more room to breathe now. Hopefully he can consume his influences next time rather than lampooning them.

TMLT was kind of a follow up to The Monitor, no? I reckon if the pattern holds up this one's kind of equivalent to Local Business and he'll be back on the epics in a few years.

I enjoy Rolling Stone cos it's a good tune and I like the way they play it but I'm not about to wade in and defend it conceptually and it's definitely a dumb thing to hand over 9 minutes of your album to. It's a bit of a silly gesture but it's just fun. It's definitely an underwhelming release overall but if you're gonna try and say that those first 3 tracks aren't vintage Titus then I got no time for you. Home Alone can absolutely fuck off and all.

27 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

TMLT was kind of a follow up to The Monitor, no? I reckon if the pattern holds up this one's kind of equivalent to Local Business and he'll be back on the epics in a few years.

I enjoy Rolling Stone cos it's a good tune and I like the way they play it but I'm not about to wade in and defend it conceptually and it's definitely a dumb thing to hand over 9 minutes of your album to. It's a bit of a silly gesture but it's just fun. It's definitely an underwhelming release overall but if you're gonna try and say that those first 3 tracks aren't vintage Titus then I got no time for you. Home Alone can absolutely fuck off and all.

I wouldn't say it is but I guess you can also look at it being him done with following up The Monitor and this is how he shows it. I'm not expecting any sprawling odysseys from the next one but I'm down if he is.

Dylan's Rolling Stone is obviously a world-beating song and +@ cover it quite closely, just as a pub band would do which probably isn't far from what he's going for. I know the guys he shouts out at the end of the song (I rolled my eyes pretty hard there) have form for putting strung out covers on albums but it's like a sacrosanct song and making it about him is just goofy as shit.

Not really pleased about any song on there but I'll admit that the first three have potential to kick up their live show. Despite N1NY being painfully overlong and the other two being pretty trite, it's got some ramshackle charm in there that might light up the atmosphere. They might just end up being annoying though, I dunno yet.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not really pleased about any song on there but I'll admit that the first three have potential to kick up their live show. Despite N1NY being painfully overlong and the other two being pretty trite, it's got some ramshackle charm in there that might light up the atmosphere. They might just end up being annoying though, I dunno yet.

Oh yeah Real Talk and Above the Bodega definitely have me enthusiastic about the prospect of seeing them live again after their last London show being pretty weak. All hinges on Pat bringing the right band with him to pull it off though, cos 4-piece Titus is Not Good.

31 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Soccer Mommy album is peng. Wish @the wonderwhy would have recommended her earlier.

beauty ain't it. I was well nervous after all the (my) hype but she nailed it. can't wait to go pick up my vinyl. 

saw them tonight in Manchester as well. lush gig, gonna buy a ticket for their next tour tomorrow 

43 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

beauty ain't it. I was well nervous after all the (my) hype but she nailed it. can't wait to go pick up my vinyl. 

saw them tonight in Manchester as well. lush gig, gonna buy a ticket for their next tour tomorrow 

Aye as soon as I made that post I opened Instagram and the latest thing was your Soccer Mommy post lol.

Edit: I may have to get on that tour also.

Edited by Gucci Piggy