2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Might as well get this rolling as there's basically nothing left to get excited about this year... 

Johnny Marr has a new album with Maxine Peake coming out in the Spring. 

I just had a little read about this and the new Marr solo album is out in spring, and the Marr & Peake album isn't finished but they're hoping it'll be out mid-2018. More arsed about the latter tbh.

I'm interested to know what the BIG ones are that people are most looking forward to in the new year. We've definitely been spoilt this year as everyone you could hope for has brought out an album.

Personally quite hyped for new MGMT and The Voidz who definitely have new stuff soon, and I've got 20+ lesser hyped with announced released dates saved to a notepad doc, and off the top of my head we should expect Father John Misty and Car Seat Headrest releases, maybe Kanye if we're lucky, but it might be a year where smaller names can grab the plaudits for themselves.

Edited by dentalplan

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I just had a little read about this and the new Marr solo album is out in spring, and the Marr & Peake album isn't finished but they're hoping it'll be out mid-2018. More arsed about the latter tbh.

I'm interested to know what the BIG ones are that people are most looking forward to in the new year. We've definitely been spoilt this year as everyone you could hope for has brought out an album.

Personally quite hyped for new MGMT and The Voidz who definitely have new stuff soon, and I've got 20+ lesser hyped with announced released dates saved to a notepad doc, and off the top of my head we should expect Father John Misty and Car Seat Headrest releases, maybe Kanye if we're lucky, but it might be a year where smaller names can grab the plaudits for themselves.

Ah okay I assumed they were the same thing but that's cool if we're getting two things from Marr this year. 

I wanna see what Arctics come up with. I'm fully prepared for it to be bland and boring but it'd be quite cool if they borrowed Homme's synths.Other than that I dunno really. I supposed the new BRMC record should be alright. 

I've got a feeling we'll get a New Order album. 

Oh, and obviously whatever Muse come up with will bang. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Ah okay I assumed they were the same thing but that's cool if we're getting two things from Marr this year. 

I wanna see what Arctics come up with. I'm fully prepared for it to be bland and boring but it'd be quite cool if they borrowed Homme's synths.Other than that I dunno really. I supposed the new BRMC record should be alright. 

I've got a feeling we'll get a New Order album. 

Oh, and obviously whatever Muse come up with will bang. 

Hmm I mean I’ll obviously give Arctic Monkeys one a go and enjoy it but the level of hype will be unbearable and it’ll no doubt throw off that enthusiasm. Muse CD will bang when people chuck it straight out of the car window before they get home from shopping. New BRMC stuff is sounding good, they’re on my list.

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Quickly looking at NME's list; Jack White, My Bloody Valentine, Vampire Weekend and Interpol are the stand outs. I'll add in Young Fathers. 

Oh yeah those should all be goodies. Love all those can’t believe I forgot lol

MGMT far and away the album I'm most excited for. New teaser they've posted just now sounds a bit odd mind but not in a bad way.

Interpol played a new song when I saw them in September and it was great. It'll be good to have them back.

AM wasn't up to the level of the previous two albums but I absolutely loved Everything You've Come To Expect so I still believe in Alex Turner. New Arctics will be great.

Chvrches, Brian Fallon, Spector, Parquet Courts, The Voidz, Gengahr, Black Peaks, Foals and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are all certainties or near certainties for new albums which is cool.

I like to think we can expect new stuff from Drenge, Grimes, James Blake, Metronomy, Tame Impala and The 1975 too but they're not quite as definite. 

Edited by Odessa

12 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Quickly looking at NME's list; Jack White, My Bloody Valentine, Vampire Weekend and Interpol are the stand outs. I'll add in Young Fathers. 

Can't wait for MBV and Young Fathers, Jack Whites last one was a bit disappointing but could be great. Interpol seem to just be a case of diminishing returns and although I enjoyed Vampire Weekend last one I'm not sure if their music has much longevity.   

1 hour ago, addicted2noise said:

Can't wait for MBV and Young Fathers, Jack Whites last one was a bit disappointing but could be great. Interpol seem to just be a case of diminishing returns and although I enjoyed Vampire Weekend last one I'm not sure if their music has much longevity.   

I'm not a big fan of Our Love to Admire and the self-titled is pretty average (though Success, Lights and Barricade are all really great), but I thought El Pintor was a real return to form so I'm looking forward to the new one.

Fucking hell I've not even caught up with January 2017 yet.

Vampire Weekend was the first that came to mind. Didn't think of Jack White but yeah I'll be looking forward to that. Arctic Monkeys, too. Hope Kanye gets something out.

If Muse release something I'll be excited to hear what the fuck they've bothered doing now but not excited to hear some good music from them.

59 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fucking hell I've not even caught up with January 2017 yet.

Vampire Weekend was the first that came to mind. Didn't think of Jack White but yeah I'll be looking forward to that. Arctic Monkeys, too. Hope Kanye gets something out.

If Muse release something I'll be excited to hear what the fuck they've bothered doing now but not excited to hear some good music from them.

I see they're in the studio with Rich Costey again, producer of Absolution and Black Holes, which peaks my interest a little. Mind you Dig Down was probably least favourite single of 2017.

• Like 1

Pretty much what you guys all said. I'd like a new Yak one as well, Django Django's is coming together nicely, tune-yards (I never remember which letters are capitals) always sound interesting enough.

Think Ty's is the first one I'm excited about, January release, all the songs have been top so far, quite T-Rexy (that covers album he did has rubbed off on him nicely)