2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Very  Prince-y this one. Love it. Her album's really grown on me, been listening to it a lot recently.

Yeah, I thought it very princey too, but as I like a lot of prince's work (but not all) it's no problem. I wonder if it was some sort of homage to him, as opposed to a rip off?

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Has it been rising up your AOTY list?

Still not gonna get over how dissapointed I was by the album. The double release of Django Jane & Make Me Feel was amazing and then the rest of the album ia just kinda alright imo. She got my hopes up too much with those 2 singles I think.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Still not gonna get over how dissapointed I was by the album. The double release of Django Jane & Make Me Feel was amazing and then the rest of the album ia just kinda alright imo. She got my hopes up too much with those 2 singles I think.

Yep, my thoughts too. Stage felt completely set for Monae to step up with a massively important album but it just felt a bit phoned in instead. She’s still cool as hell and I’d love to see her on the farm (or elsewhere) next summer but a little disappointed nonetheless.

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep, my thoughts too. Stage felt completely set for Monae to step up with a massively important album but it just felt a bit phoned in instead. She’s still cool as hell and I’d love to see her on the farm (or elsewhere) next summer but a little disappointed nonetheless.

Feeling the same. It's had plenty of plays, more to do with my laziness in finding new artists than anything else. Its just.... alright I suppose. Some of the production on it is way over the top, just a bit too shiney!

Gutted I missed Manchester though - her reviews from the tour have been excellent. Still probably one of the most exciting live shows out there at the moment for me.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I see that the 'fork has unsurprisingly gone to town on Greta Van Vleet in a way that would cause that hippie to drop his laptop.

I used to think they were called Greta Van Vleet which sounded okay like a Dutch name or something, but the actual name sounds like a group of commercial vehicles and that harshes my vibe.

Thing I realised about the hippie laptop boys the other day is that they're only just bringing out their debut full-length and they're selling out shows that are $50 a pop because the boomers they attract are gonna think that's the going rate for a rock show.

Haven't listened to this album yet and was only gonna do it for the shits and giggles so the scathing review hasn't rocked anything. I like that they're kind about The Darkness in it.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I see that the 'fork has unsurprisingly gone to town on Greta Van Vleet in a way that would cause that hippie to drop his laptop.

That made me chuckle, a lot, though I have nothing against your imitation Led Zeppelin. Here's the link: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I like that they're kind about The Darkness in it.

Yeah that's the most surprising thing about it. Although they do talk about them in the past tense...

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I used to think they were called Greta Van Vleet which sounded okay like a Dutch name or something, but the actual name sounds like a group of commercial vehicles and that harshes my vibe.

Thing I realised about the hippie laptop boys the other day is that they're only just bringing out their debut full-length and they're selling out shows that are $50 a pop because the boomers they attract are gonna think that's the going rate for a rock show.

Haven't listened to this album yet and was only gonna do it for the shits and giggles so the scathing review hasn't rocked anything. I like that they're kind about The Darkness in it.

Dental, you’ll know: what’s happened to Claire Boucher?

She’s not in orbit in a Tesla Roadster is she?

9 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Dental, you’ll know: what’s happened to Claire Boucher?

She’s not in orbit in a Tesla Roadster is she?

No, she escaped Mark Corrigan.

She collaborates with a bunch of artists nowadays but isn't seemingly bringing anything out herself. Guessing it's down to problems with her record label, because she's had those forever. Features on the new Bring Me The Horizon album, which is bad news for people who love good music.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No, she escaped Mark Corrigan.

She collaborates with a bunch of artists nowadays but isn't seemingly bringing anything out herself. Guessing it's down to problems with her record label, because she's had those forever. Features on the new Bring Me The Horizon album, which is bad news for people who love good music.

Hehe  

What a double shame.

People mighta thought Grimes’ music was somehow stuck on permashuffle on my car stereo for quite a while. 

Edited by Woffy

4 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Prince actually wrote part of it with her.

Aaagh, thank you Bradders. Like nearly all things music related, I hadn't got a clue about that. I thought the piece was made after his death. That might still be the case, thinking about it. Obviously not clear on time lines.

I will now relay this fact to my wife, who is, currently, also in ignorance.

Thank you for the info.  :)