2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

On 9/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, Odessa said:

Can't find a release date (they'll prob put something on facebook in the next hour or so), but White Lies have a new album coming up called Five. 7 and a half minute song to kick it off is sounding v nice on first listen. 

Got round to giving this a listen.  By rights it should be too long and a bit dull, but it's really not.  Looking forward to more new material 

New Brockhampton is great. A lot less outright banger/hype tracks than we got with the Saturation albums but still keeping up that high quality.

Gave the new Christine & the Queens a couple of spins and it's not bad. I don't think I ever got around to listening to her previous one as I don't think I can stomach to hear Tilted again but this is really good, and thankfully Girlfriend wasn't an outlier (although is definitely the best song here).

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I like it when bands/acts do this too. It's a bold statement, and then is all the funnier when/if it turns out to be a bit of a stinker.

Come to think of it, the first two that spring to mind are decent, if oddball entries - Blur and The Beatles.  Neither are particularly representative of the sound.  Any other examples?

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

The one that threw me was when Future Islands released Singles. That is reserved for best of albums. Confused me a lot, especially as I was only just starting to listen to them ahead of their JP set last year

Yeah, I thought that was a retrospective of their past work too, not a normal album.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Come to think of it, the first two that spring to mind are decent, if oddball entries - Blur and The Beatles.  Neither are particularly representative of the sound.  Any other examples?

I think my main gripe with it stems from MGMT's self titled album letting me down so badly haha. Interpol's most meh record also fits the rule.

Blur's self titled is brilliant. Up there with 13 as their two best albums for me. I really like Avenged Sevenfold's self titled. Efests favourite Razorlight did it and theirs was pretty crap on the whole after their debut being full of tunes. Paramore did it 4 albums in and it's their best record easily. Struggling to think of any others!

4 hours ago, Odessa said:

I think my main gripe with it stems from MGMT's self titled album letting me down so badly haha. Interpol's most meh record also fits the rule.

Blur's self titled is brilliant. Up there with 13 as their two best albums for me. I really like Avenged Sevenfold's self titled. Efests favourite Razorlight did it and theirs was pretty crap on the whole after their debut being full of tunes. Paramore did it 4 albums in and it's their best record easily. Struggling to think of any others!

Off the top of my head I know The Libertines, Metallica, a couple of Weezer albums, Beyoncé (as I mentioned earlier, she released that after '4'), St. Vincent, Pearl Jam (debut album 'Ten', very confusing) and Velvet Underground without Nico.  Also AM if you consider the fact that nobody shortened the Arctic Monkeys to 'AM' before then.

Most of those are quite highly praised but I guess I wouldn't recall the pants ones. Still many better examples of good debut self-titled albums. They ought to all take Black Sabbath's lead and start the self-titled debut with a self-titled song, but I dunno how some of those would go about doing that.