2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ooh, you have my attention.  Hoping for something a bit better than Friends, felt that was a bit flat after Big TV.

I think I listened to Friends once and Big TV twice, didn’t care for either obviously. Maybe  I should give them another crack but the imminent news has me much more interested in potential live dates than new songs they’re promoting.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think I listened to Friends once and Big TV twice, didn’t care for either obviously. Maybe  I should give them another crack but the imminent news has me much more interested in potential live dates than new songs they’re promoting.

Big TV was a real grower for me, there are some cracking songs on there. Friends just hasn't had many repeat listenings, although I may give it another go now it's back in my head. Not seen them live, so a tour would certainly get my attention.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:16 PM, henry bear said:

What then is indie landfill? It’s just a phrase that we all possibly have different assumptions about. Perhaps to some it relates to a specific time and bands like The Kooks etc prevailed. To me, it encompasses any kind of indie act that haven’t lived up to their potential or never had much in the first place. I’m not saying IDLES won’t be looked on in 10-15 years as a great act, but so far I’m not convinced. 

So for me Indie Landfill is the generic guitar stuff that comes on the back of an established wave, gets one song on the radio and then either vanishes back from whence they came or continues to pop out albums that literally no-one cares about. So examples for me would be:

The Caesars

The Feeling

The Bravery

Speedy

The Ordinary Boys

The  Fratellis

The Automatic

It's not to say that said songs were or are bad, that's entirely subjective.  But they're the musical equivalent of single-use plastic straws.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Big TV is good and Friends is better. The latter sounds even more Killersy than they started out at times. Defo revisit the track Come On at the very least, it's up there with the likes of Unfinished Business and Death for me.

Will revisit once this spin of Spiritualized's new one is finished :D

Were they ever that Killers-y? Always just saw them as a new Editors.

Saw them 4 times and they varied quite a bit in how good they were. Were good supporting Muse at Wembley Stadium; great on their Ritual tour at Leeds Academy; shocking on the main stage at Leeds in 2013; then decent on the Other Stage at Glasto 14.

Didn't think anything of the last two albums and wouldn't pay to see them live again but I'd probably give them another look at Glasto if they avoided clashes.

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

So for me Indie Landfill is the generic guitar stuff that comes on the back of an established wave, gets one song on the radio and then either vanishes back from whence they came or continues to pop out albums that literally no-one cares about. So examples for me would be:

The Caesars

The Feeling

The Bravery

Speedy

The Ordinary Boys

The  Fratellis

The Automatic

It's not to say that said songs were or are bad, that's entirely subjective.  But they're the musical equivalent of single-use plastic straws.

For me it's band who trouble the charts, then never seem to either evolve or go away. Fratellis, Pigeon Detectives, Kooks etc

I'm still annoyed at my mate who was driving us to Kings of Leon in 2014 for pissing about and leaving late meaning we only caught the end of White Lies who were supporting that night. Only other time I've seen them was at the Albert Hall at the end of 2016 and I thought they were brilliant. Will defo be booking tickets again as soon as a tour is announced.

23 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Were they ever that Killers-y? Always just saw them as a new Editors.

I can hear a lot of early Killers sound in their music, seems obvious to me that they're big fans. White Lies have spoken about them in the media in the past, and plenty of others have drawn comparisons. I always bang on about the influence tho cos it winds up a couple of my mates who don't like The Killers so maybe I'm overstating it a bit haha. It doesn't make much sense to me that anyone could like White Lies but not Hot Fuss. Well, mainly the non singles, the hits aren't very similar besides Smile Like You Mean It.

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

It's probably the best single from the recent crop for me, not been a fan of much of the others but this one ain't too bad. Still don't feel like any of their singles are really projecting them to the next level.

It's nice enough but I hope that the album is about 22 songs long or it's DOA.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tracklisting already announced.

01. The 1975
02. Give Yourself a Try
03. TooTimeTooTimeTooTime
04. How to Draw / Petrichor
05. Love It If We Made It
06. Be My Mistake
07. Sincerity Is Scary
08. I Like America & America Likes Me
09. The Man Who Married a Robot / Love Theme
10. Inside Your Mind
11. It’s Not Living If It’s Not With You
12. Surrounded by Heads and Bodies
13. Mine
14. I Couldn’t Be More in Love
15. I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

15 tracks and another album to follow a few months after. We're eatin.

Anyway, real nice track. Agree it's not earth shattering, being basically a continuation of tracks like If I Believe You and A Change of Heart but the instrumentation and production on it is lovely.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Tracklisting already announced.

01. The 1975
02. Give Yourself a Try
03. TooTimeTooTimeTooTime
04. How to Draw / Petrichor
05. Love It If We Made It
06. Be My Mistake
07. Sincerity Is Scary
08. I Like America & America Likes Me
09. The Man Who Married a Robot / Love Theme
10. Inside Your Mind