2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

1 hour ago, UndergroundSound said:

Feels like everyone that was one the Shame hype train (and many more) have now jumped over to IDLES, shrugging off Shame's album as if it wasn't as good as they had originally thought. Yeah it's not as deep or intricate as moments on the IDLES effort while still falling into the same sub-genre. However it was extremely catchy and took an interesting comedic approach with its themes and lyrics, and for me it just doesn't really get old. I can't really compare them to other bands that have come and gone in that sense. I can relisten to Songs of Praise in full countless times thanks to the perfect mixture of tracks. (Something I'm also finding is beginning to happen to this IDLES album as I continue to rinse it).

Love both bands, probably think the Shame album is the more consistent and more listenable but the Idles album has bigger highlights. Either 'Great' or 'Danny Nedelko' could be singles of the year for me (as was 'Concrete' the year before)

33 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Had a listen to that Big Red Machine this aft. Don't get the hype tbh, p boring. The highlight was spotting a This Is The Kit sample.

Gets better with more listens. 

I’ve heard it 7 or 8 times and didn’t spot the This Is The Kit sample dammit!

One of my fave albums from last year as well.

For me, Slaves just basically made Punk for people who didn't like Punk or the type of people that kept insisting it died in the 70s. That being said, I enjoyed their first mini-album/EP quite a bit and their early live shows were excellent. 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

I suprisingly like this

I don't care what anyone says but their first two albums fucking slap. The Peace & The Panic wasn't good though and this isn't that great either.

Is it fair to put a Tiny desk in new music? I tried to search him and do not see him here at all. Anyway he is Canadian. He has been recently getting some nice attention. He has opened for Michael Franti (among others) on the Canadian leg of his tour.  Most recently he has been in London and Scotland. His drummer Shawn Killaly is fun to watch too! His new record is called  "In our Time". And yes this is blatant push. BTW he answers every comment on his Fb page and instagram page personally. 

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What the fuck is Yves Tumor.

I have no idea. Saw the new album got a sick review on Pitchfork the other day (their highest score of the year) so decided to give it a listen last night. Supposed to be experimental electronic music but tbh I'd have no idea how to label this album, genre-wise.

3 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

Is it fair to put a Tiny desk in new music? I tried to search him and do not see him here at all. Anyway he is Canadian. He has been recently getting some nice attention. He has opened for Michael Franti (among others) on the Canadian leg of his tour.  Most recently he has been in London and Scotland. His drummer Shawn Killaly is fun to watch too! His new record is called  "In our Time". And yes this is blatant push. BTW he answers every comment on his Fb page and instagram page personally. 

No reason why not. All new music shall be divided into the following categories:

1. those that belong to the Emperor,
  2. embalmed ones,
  3. those that are trained,
  4. suckling pigs,
  5. mermaids,
  6. fabulous ones,
  7. stray dogs,
  8. those included in the present classification,
  9. those that tremble as if they were mad,
  10. innumerable ones,
  11. those drawn with a very fine camelhair brush,
  12. others,
  13. those that have just broken a flower vase,
  14. those that from a long way off look like flies.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

No reason why not. All new music shall be divided into the following categories:

1. those that belong to the Emperor,
  2. embalmed ones,
  3. those that are trained,
  4. suckling pigs,
  5. mermaids,
  6. fabulous ones,
  7. stray dogs,
  8. those included in the present classification,
  9. those that tremble as if they were mad,
  10. innumerable ones,
  11. those drawn with a very fine camelhair brush,
  12. others,
  13. those that have just broken a flower vase,
  14. those that from a long way off look like flies.

U OK hun?

4 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Might make an end of year list that's exclusively Instagram stories of club nights and the self-recorded reggae CDs guys try and flog you at 3am on Brixton high street, that's all I'm saying. 

Someone sold me one of those in Jamaica, got chatting in a bar in Negril over a beer and a smoke.

Got home, it was blank :lol:

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

Might make an end of year list that's exclusively Instagram stories of club nights and the self-recorded reggae CDs guys try and flog you at 3am on Brixton high street, that's all I'm saying. 

I heard a story from a guy who claimed a dude just came up to him in the street and was like "what's your name" and he just told him being on autopilot. So the guy gets out a self-made CD and starts signing it "to Craig, keep it tight fam, yours Random Grime MC On The Street" and then goes "that's £10 then mate" and he's like "woah I don't want this" and then rapman is all "well I've signed it for you now, you have to buy it otherwise there'll be trouble", so Craig stands there yelling his own name for about 5 mins with our generation's answer to Tupac glaring at him intently and then some patsy walks up like "you called?" and our Craig cheerfully goes "sell it this chump" and goes about his way.

Now you may choose not to believe that story, because it obviously wasn't true and he probably just ended up buying the CD, but do facts really matter in this scenario and is it funnier to believe he really did foist the angry rap singer demanding £10 onto a different Craig?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1