2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If that's your only point of reference for Spiritualized and you're enjoying them then you could do worse than getting your lugs around the intervening material. They're pretty consistent.

I’ve heard Ladies & Gentlemen, Sweet Heart Sweet Light and some songs from others but I’ll give the others a go. You a fan of the new one then?

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I’ve heard Ladies & Gentlemen, Sweet Heart Sweet Light and some songs from others but I’ll give the others a go. You a fan of the new one then?

Yep. J. is definitely smack-bang in the middle of his comfort zone but he's doing what he does best and has created a pretty lovely fifty-minute listen. Doubt it actually will be the final Spiritualized album but it would be completely fitting as one.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, henry bear said:

Me neither. They sound like what I'd imagine Sleaford Mods would if they expanded into a 5 piece. Still, the Indie Landfill gods demand it.

Like them or loathe them I don't think there's any justification for calling IDLES 'indie landfill'.

Personally I quite liked the last album and very much like the new one. I reckon they're a good shout for a low Other spot and headlining Left Field one night.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

There definitely is a new micro-genre of indie-leaning-to-various-degrees-towards-punk-with-predominatly-guys-doing-state-of-the-nation-songs-about-bus-stops-and-austerity type bands.

Saw a bit of Shame at Electric Fields the other week, before we had to mosey over to a part of the site where Shame weren't audible.

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

There definitely is a new micro-genre of indie-leaning-to-various-degrees-towards-punk-with-predominatly-guys-doing-state-of-the-nation-songs-about-bus-stops-and-austerity type bands.

Aye as time has passed since the release of their album, I've realised that this is basically what Shame are. Not all that different from several NME hype bands of years passed.

Don't see IDLES as being that, though.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

They sound absolutely nothing like the bands that are referred to as indie landfill....?

To me they just don’t sound particularly groundbreaking or, crucially, that good. Downvote me all you like, I’m just expressing my opinion - just like you are.

Edited by henry bear

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

To me they just don’t sound particularly groundbreaking or, crucially, that good. Downvote me all you like, I’m just expressing my opinion - just like you are.

They're definitely not groundbreaking. Doesn't matter to me though because I find their music to be excellent and the lyrics, while not subtle at all, to be catchy and comforting in that we can share a laugh at the state of affairs that we're in.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Every band who isn't groundbreaking or good isn't an indie landfill band, though. They're not even an indie band.

That's like calling Foo Fighters an indie landfill band because they're not groundbreaking or good.

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Every band who isn't groundbreaking or good isn't an indie landfill band, though. They're not even an indie band.

That's like calling Foo Fighters an indie landfill band because they're not groundbreaking or good.

Bloody hell, you IDLES fans are very defensive. It was one flippant remark about them being indie landfill. And if they're not an indie band, they're doing a decent impression of one.

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Bloody hell, you IDLES fans are very defensive. It was one flippant remark about them being indie landfill. And if they're not an indie band, they're doing a decent impression of one.

Mate I'd literally never listened to IDLES in my life before last week, and wasn't being defensive at all. Your assessment of them just made no sense.

Proposal: the definition of indie landfill has evolved from its early noughties coining when it was a bucket into which to pour the K bands and The Fratellis and Razorlight and so on.

These days I think it's justified to use it to describe a band of Lammo Lads who make meat and potatoes indie guitar music like the last 2 decades haven't happened.  In a world where the Kaiser Chiefs barely even feature on the cultural radar any more, Shame are indie landfill.

Think it's a bit unfair throwing shame and the rest of the new breed of gobby-teenager-punkish bands that have a few catchy songs with on the nose lyrics and some very mild success to the onslaught of non-stop radio playing and arena tours of the mid 00s indie lot, it's a pretty easily avoided scene and most of it's DIY so it's not like anyone's missing out because of it.

I enjoy the mini 3-year rise through the mini to mid sized venues over 2 albums cycle a lot of bands end up doing these days, then another one pops up as they start to fade. Can't see shame ever commanding the quality/longevity of The Cribs. IDLES'll probably give it a go though, they have some incredibly keen fans.