2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

12 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Been looking for some new music recently and thought this thread may help. Can anyone recommend some of the best albums of the year so far? Any genre. Recently made a list of my top 100 albums of the year but when The Xcerts, Cabbage, Blossoms etc. are all lingering around the bottom it really shows I need some new albums to make the list lmao.

Near the bottom is where the Blossoms one should stay...

Normally you'd get a pissy response from someone about reading the thread, but there's 84 bloody pages now! Gone for a bit of a spread for you, and maybe a few that are less likely to get mentioned by everyone! :)

Anna Calvi, White Denim, George Fitzgerald, The Beths, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Baloji, Spencer Brown, Mono Club, The Magic Gang, Levellers, Nakhane

EDIT: Rolling Blackouts CF is my personal AOTY so far

Edited by Quark

27 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Been looking for some new music recently and thought this thread may help. Can anyone recommend some of the best albums of the year so far? Any genre. Recently made a list of my top 100 albums of the year but when The Xcerts, Cabbage, Blossoms etc. are all lingering around the bottom it really shows I need some new albums to make the list lmao.

I'd never properly listened to Preoccupations, Beach House or Mitski before last night, but really enjoyed all of their new albums on first listen. My favourite albums of the year that I don't know for sure you've already heard are by The Voidz, MGMT, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Let's Eat Grandma, Franz Ferdinand, The Lemon Twigs, Father John Misty, Superorganism, Saba, and Boy Azooga.

But if you've heard 100 you probably know the majority of them already? Unless you've just been absolutely rinsing albums from acts on the Reading lineup haha.

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

Near the bottom is where the Blossoms one should stay...

Normally you'd get a pissy response from someone about reading the thread, but there's 84 bloody pages now! Gone for a bit of a spread for you, and maybe a few that are less likely to get mentioned by everyone! :)

Anna Calvi, White Denim, George Fitzgerald, The Beths, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Baloji, Spencer Brown, J Mono Club, The Magic Gang, Levellers, Nakhane, 

Haha exactly, that's why I need more albums so albums like that are pushed off the list.

Yeah I was going to say in my post this thread is massive and I've only just realised it exists otherwise I'd look through myself.

Thankyou very much, only heard The Magic Gang out of those and that's made the top half of my list so I'll definitely be giving the rest a listen!

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Albums of the year so far:

Parquet Courts, IDLES, Shame, Franz Ferdinand, Confidence Man, Hookworms, First Aid Kit, Arctic Monkeys, The Vaccines (yeah, I said it),

Franz, Confidence Man, Hookworms and First Aid Kit will deffo get a listen then. Arctic Monkeys' is around 30 on my list but I totally agree with Vaccines, Combat Sports is my 15th haha.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I'd never properly listened to Preoccupations, Beach House or Mitski before last night, but really enjoyed all of their new albums on first listen. My favourite albums of the year that I don't know for sure you've already heard are by The Voidz, MGMT, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Let's Eat Grandma, Franz Ferdinand, The Lemon Twigs, Father John Misty, Superorganism, Saba, and Boy Azooga.

But if you've heard 100 you probably know the majority of them already? Unless you've just been absolutely rinsing albums from acts on the Reading lineup haha.

Preoccupations album is one of my faves of the year I really do love it. Keep meaning to listen to Beach House but haven't got round to it. I've listened to MGMT, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Let's Eat Grandma, FatherJohn Misty and Saba from that list and all of them are on there haha. I really like the Saba album but I think my love for The Bucket List Project overshadows it a bit and I don't appreciate it as much as I should.

41 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Maybe worth just posting the list somewhere otherwise you gonna get a lot of duplicates

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I don't think I've got a Top 50 personally, let alone a Top 100. Fair play to you for getting through so much music.

Will have to try putting my own list together at some point.

Genuinely only made it the other night because I was majorly procrastinating while supposed to be finishing off some essays. Made a little ranking system and everything because I'm a complete saddo.

Might post my list once I've given some of the recommended albums a listen and I've actually done some work.

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

New Music - 2018 edition - no? Though let's thank the heavens that the year was added so people didn't just start throwing down lists of their favourite albums of all time (don't do it).

You can't tempt me with shit like that and not let me do it!!

There have only been 242 days this year. How does someone listen to over 100 albums enough times to fully form an opinion on them and rank them in that many days? Not to mention also listening to music that didn't come out this year. I have like a top 25 and at least the bottom half of those I don't even feel like I've listened to enough to have a fully formed opinion on them.

• Like 1

Fwiw said list consists of the following (ignore the order I've shoved a lot of them just into general areas of the list): IDLES, Mitski, U.S. Girls, SOPHIE, Pusha T, Car Seat Headrest, Iceage, Beach House, Parquet Courts, Father John Misty, Death Grips, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Janelle Monáe, The Voidz, Confidence Man, Young Fathers, Jean Grae x Quelle Chris, Hop Along, Mount Eerie, Superorganism, The Breeders, Camp Cope, Soccer Mommy, Ezra Furman, MGMT, Ought, Shame, Jeff Rosenstock.

Also have these ones that probably need to slot in somewhere but definitely haven't been listened to enough to place them: Ty Segall, Let's Eat Grandma, John Coltrane, Sleep, Blood Orange, Deafheaven, Nine Inch Nails, Jon Hopkins, Courtney Barnett, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Kids See Ghosts.

Edit: I guess these are my suggestions @TheWaters.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

7 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Genuinely only made it the other night because I was majorly procrastinating while supposed to be finishing off some essays. Made a little ranking system and everything because I'm a complete saddo.

Might post my list once I've given some of the recommended albums a listen and I've actually done some work.

At the moment, what is in your top 20?