2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

4 hours ago, Mash011 said:

First impressions on the new Florence? I'm not overly impressed to be honest. All feels a bit tired. Sky Full of Song is probably the best thing on it. Hope it grows on me. 

Erm, well... I like it a lot.

I've read a few times how she's playing it safe but it seems like the biggest switch up of her sound yet, to me. Hunger and Patricia are the only things that feel like an imitation of something she's done before. Maybe it's difference between what peeps like about her but Flo at her most bombastic is kinda what I'm here for. And her lyrics are probably her most raw and personal yet as well - to a point where it's kinda depressing actually how desolate she's feeling at 31. 

Loving End of Love, June and Big God.

I quite liked the Florence album on first listen but it definitely needs more time to grow on me. I do think it’s nice to have something a bit different though and I’m curious as to how some of these songs will work live in amongst the usual bangers. 

Really enjoying new Let’s Eat Grandma, it’s a real step up from their debut. I’ve seem them a couple of times this year so I was already familiar with a lot of the album but haven’t been bored by any of them yet. Falling Into Me is still one of my favourite songs of the year and Donnie Darko is great too.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

John Coltrane. Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album. What a freak of a talent. 

Did not realise this was out today but I’ve been wading through Albert Ayler all morning so will be plain sailing straight into JC territory. 

The Coltranes have got to be the most talented musical couple, haven’t they? Just in terms of sheer capital ‘G’ Great records. 

Edited by Winslow Leach

54 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

The Coltranes have got to be the most talented musical couple, haven’t they? Just in terms of sheer capital ‘G’ Great records. 

Yeah defo. But they worked for it. I remember a band member saying Coltrane "practised like a man with no talent". 

I can really on take so much of the free form jazz stuff but Coltrane gets more time from me than others.

Good question though. Best couples in music?

Id have Tom Waits and Kathleen in there. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

.Drake is a c**t isn't he? Puts out bop of the year (Nice For What, don't @ me) and then his album is 25 songs long cos he gets paid for every song listened to, so you know it's gonna be finding diamonds in shit.

Aye that song had me thinking there might be some bangers in this album but I’m half way through and it’s pretty much the same ol’ shit from him. Used to be a fan but his past few releases have been so drab, and this overlong album for streams stuff needs to end.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Chance has said he's been called up for a famous ol' ye 7 track, working on it in July. I've gotten pretty used to these at this point, is there one out today? 

Yeah glad to hear this is gonna be a thing for a bit longer, even if we do have to wait longer than a week between releases. Still pretty disappointed with Ye so hoping it was due to it being a rush job and not that he’s lost it a bit.

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah glad to hear this is gonna be a thing for a bit longer, even if we do have to wait longer than a week between releases. Still pretty disappointed with Ye so hoping it was due to it being a rush job and not that he’s lost it a bit.

They've all been pretty alright, decent enough little 20 minute things that can get me to the train station basically. With the exception of DAYTONA which stands out among them as clearly the best one and probably the only one in hindsight I wish was longer. Still, 4 of them in a row, week by week, was pretty good going. Kept him relatively quiet as well.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Is there a minimum amount of time required together in this couples thing? It was a bit of a splash and dash from Miles with Betty wasn't it?

That's partly why I'd stick with Johnny and Al - you get the feeling that each of their careers comes out of the same shared experience, but are also distinct enough to stand on their own as an impressive body of work. 

26 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Out of Kanye's big 2018 release splurge, the Teyana Taylor one is probably the best because it's the one that strays furthest from hip-hop and WTP is a banger, but all of them feel too slight for my liking. More like sketches of ideas for songs rather than the songs themselves.

Well ye she is obviously gonna have less of a hip hop album than Kanye, Cudi, Push and Nas because she's more of an R&B singer. I don't know why being further away from hip hop would make it a better album either. :P

I have been wondering if they released a few of the best off each it could make for a really good G.O.O.D Music album rather than brief standalones. Would be weird having Cop Shot the Kid end and Work This Pussy begin, like.

Edited by dentalplan

34 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Out of Kanye's big 2018 release splurge, the Teyana Taylor one is probably the best because it's the one that strays furthest from hip-hop and WTP is a banger, but all of them feel too slight for my liking. More like sketches of ideas for songs rather than the songs themselves.

For me everyone of them has been the best the week it's been out then a bit of time passes and I realise DAYTONA was better but the new one that just came out is the best. It'll be quite nice having a breather this week. I completely agree with the sketches comment though. 

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I have been wondering if they released a few of the best off each it could make for a really good G.O.O.D Music album rather than brief standalones. Would be weird having Cop Shot the Kid end and Work This Pussy begin, like.

I tried making a playlist cherry picking songs off each album and it didn't really work for me. Hats off to Ye for that I guess.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well ye she is obviously gonna have less of a hip hop album than Kanye, Cudi, Push and Nas because she's an R&B singer. I don't know why being further away from hip hop would make it a better album either. :P

Because I’ve never heard a Kanye produced pure r&b album before, which to me makes it the most interesting. 

The Pusha album doesn’t really do anything for me. it’s inpressivly put together, but it’s just sort of... there. 

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

Did Betty Davis retreat to an ashram after Miles' death and spend the latter half of her career self-releasing cassettes intended for private distribution among a small religious community? I don't think so.

Queen didn't need no kaftan when she went around done up like this

BettyDavis2.original.jpg?auto=format&fit