2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

Boy Azooga record is fantastic. Caught them live just before they released the record and they were a really solid live act too. Closed with Loner Boogie into Jungle Boogie ? . (CYMRU AM BYTH!!)

Rolling Blackouts Costal Fever record is pretty good, but the French Press EP was more immediate on first listen.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Had the new Gang Gang Dance album on repeat most of the day and it's brilliant.

Also liking the new Gorillaz album more than Humanz on first few listens. Some great songs on there.

Has that Gorillaz record leaked now? Hasitleaked still has it as upcoming.

7 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Has that Gorillaz record leaked now? Hasitleaked still has it as upcoming.

I acquired it last night but it seems to have been removed from most of the usual places and I'm struggling to find it again.

edit: or somebody's done the ol' switcheroo and put together a bunch of randm Gorillaz/Damon oddities and I've fallen for their trick.

Edited by FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I acquired it last night but it seems to have been removed from most of the usual places and I'm struggling to find it again.

edit: or somebody's done the ol' switcheroo and put together a bunch of randm Gorillaz/Damon oddities and I've fallen for their trick.

Ya I think if there's one going around atm it's a fake. Probs be better than the real thing though so enjoy lol. 

Was just listening to Burial’s Rival Dealer EP again (as I am wont to do) and struck me how much it, and Come Down to Us in particular, really pointed the way towards what SOPHIE is doing now, or the stuff Charli XCX is doing with AG Cook.

Anyway the point is that the SOPHIE album is aoty so far, as you were WL x

2 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Anyway the point is that the SOPHIE album is aoty so far, as you were WL x

Yeah it's massive. (Not quite my aoty but still love it).

I've convinced about 4 irl normies to listen to it so far, they've responded unanimously with either fear, confusion, or both.

New Oh Sees song premiered today, still very proggy, much less heavy than Overthrown though. Very good though, seems like a sheeky nod to a Fall song halfway through (although it's not a musical moment unique to that Fall song, Dwyer is a self professed massive Fall fan. As in, he has a brain).

https://www.mojo4music.com/articles/oh-sees-premiere-their-intense-new-jam-exclusively-with-mojo

New Death Grips album is amazing, quite a bit more polished and accessible than some of their other outings but still bonkers paper gay to say the least.

Disappointed probably my favourite of the ones not yet released and the drumming on The Horns Section is manic, not often Zach Hill gets the production he deserves to show off his chops.

A gorgeous Friday when we should all be on the farm, clearly getting not a lot done at work.  Instead my mind turns to creating order out of chaos, and no better way to do it than creating a list.  Specifically 15 albums of 2018 thus far...

Given my carefully trained ear, technical understanding of the recording process, and deep lyrical insights, it's based on the detailed and thought-through criteria of "stuff I like to have in my ears". Basically just albums I've been coming back to since hearing them. No particular order.

Little Dark Age - MGMT

The Magic Gang - The Magic Gang

Sky High and Submarine - Mono Club

Singularity - Jon Hopkins

Illusion of Perfection - Spencer Brown

Wide Awake! - Parquet Courts

Tell Me How You Really Feel - Courtney Barnett

Resistance Is Futile - Manic Street Preachers

1, 2, Kung Fu! - Boy Azooga

Hope Downs - Rolling Blackout CF

Have at it...

Chris Martin & Friends present a swinging evening of Coldplay.

It's all the members of Coldplay, but also a big band, and they do swing versions of all Coldplay songs.

Oh fuck it's only the wrong ruddy thread.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN