2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

5 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah just finished it. That's sick. And short enough to bother coming back to this time; what a bonus.

Listened to it twice today, really impressed with it. Hangout at the Gallows and Please Don't Die are growing on me a lot.

Bonus being there's no 13 minute Leaving LA w*nkathon.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Chvrches album is massively growing on me. Yes it's covering old ground, but I bloody like that ground. Some live bangers in there, perfect for a 2019 return to the Other

Agreed - can’t quite understand the negative reactions to the singles or the album as a whole, if I’m honest  

They’re not the first band to stick to a sound they are comfortable with, and as there are some great songs on there. If you’re a fan of the band, then I can’t see how you wouldn’t like the new album. 

I'm finding the negativity surrounding the Chvrches allbum bizarre too. A lot of people are talking as if The Bones Of What You Believe is a masterpiece and now they're just putting out bland pop music and that they've sold out or some shit. I reckon they've just put out 3 good albums, none of which are particularly amazing or a million miles away from each other, but all of which are enjoyable. 

God's Favorite Customer is really good. I still need to listen to Fear Fun but it's comfortably the best of the last 3 FJM albums imo.

Not exactly blown away by ye. It's decent and has a few good songs, but eh for such a short album it should all bang. There was more good material on TLOP for sure. I had Waves on before and I feel bad that I enjoy a track dominated by Chris Brown so much, but it all sounds so great with the production and Kid Cudi humming later on too.

45 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Not exactly blown away by ye. It's decent and has a few good songs, but eh for such a short album it should all bang. There was more good material on TLOP for sure. I had Waves on before and I feel bad that I enjoy a track dominated by Chris Brown so much, but it all sounds so great with the production and Kid Cudi humming later on too.

I'm coming around to the new album, but I played TLOP immediately after it and couldn't help but think 'this is much better'. Regardless of it being overlong and being all over the place, that whole album bangs, and likewise on Waves. Hate Chris Brown but goddamn if that song isn't awesome. I know it's early days and there are some staggering highlights on there but the new'un is quite obviously his weakest album for me.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Agreed - can’t quite understand the negative reactions to the singles or the album as a whole, if I’m honest  

They’re not the first band to stick to a sound they are comfortable with, and as there are some great songs on there. If you’re a fan of the band, then I can’t see how you wouldn’t like the new album. 

I view it more BOWYB was so raw and gritty, and EOE was so polished and imo much more cohesive as an album. Love Is Dead has nothing really special about it. Some have boring production (Miracle was awful and a lot of the other songs imo don't have the same impact as their older stuff), some have crappy lyrics (get out get out, get get get out) and overtall it just feels like a lot of B sides from their previous stuff. That ain't saying that there aren't good songs on there (Graffiti is great) but compared to their previous work it's nowhere near as polished and I haven't had it on a constant rotation like their other albums.

Plus I still can't get over the cover art

I don't really care if they've pinched a riff - wouldn't be the first time. It's just not very good a song. The lyrics are tabloid-level reporting on himself and the music is just like the same bar repeated throughout so after a couple of listens you get sick of it. Look at that fucking drummer in the video pretending it's not a drum machine. All in all, kinda disappointing given the step forward they took on ILIWYS.

Kitchen-sink melancholic jingle jangle/synth act of the 90's, Dubstar have made a comeback after god knows donkeys years.

Stars was one of my favourite albums in my student days. Goodbye on the other hand is to this day, the only album I've took back to the shop and demanded a refund.

I quite like this, though not sure if it's just the novelty of their return. 

5 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Kitchen-sink melancholic jingle jangle/synth act of the 90's, Dubstar have made a comeback after god knows donkeys years.

Stars was one of my favourite albums in my student days. Goodbye on the other hand is to this day, the only album I've took back to the shop and demanded a refund.

I quite like this, though not sure if it's just the novelty of their return. 

Better than I expected tbh, will have to hold judgement until an album appears.

Having said that, it's no Not So Manic Now