2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

52 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Been listening to the Courtney Bazza album the last couple of days. Really enjoying it, more than I expected after hearing the first single, which I'm much preferring now too.

I dunno despite being initially positive when it leaked I've only played it a couple times since and I don't feel that compelled to stay with it. Like it's fine and enjoyable enough but it just feels like it's lost so much energy from her last one without bringing much new to the table.

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I dunno despite being initially positive when it leaked I've only played it a couple times since and I don't feel that compelled to stay with it. Like it's fine and enjoyable enough but it just feels like it's lost so much energy from her last one without bringing much new to the table.

I think it starts off really strong and those first four songs are all great but the second half is pretty forgettable, or at least I just kind of lose interest towards the end anyway.

30 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah I agree with the comparison to her first album. I was actually listening to that again the other night which is what made me think to check out her new one.

First album is mad good though so that's not a disaster. This one probably won't be troubling my end of year lists or anything but I was expecting something very dull and forgettable going into it.

On a related note, it's been a great year so far for female-fronted indie music with Hop Along, Soccer Mommy and Camp Cope all releasing some of the best albums I've heard this year, and now Courtney Barnett adding to it (though I need to give it more listens to see how much that view sticks with me).

35 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Pretty much what I thought between her double EP and the first album. Don't think I'll even bother with this album.

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

On a related note, it's been a great year so far for female-fronted indie music with Hop Along, Soccer Mommy and Camp Cope all releasing some of the best albums I've heard this year, and now Courtney Barnett adding to it (though I need to give it more listens to see how much that view sticks with me).

oh god delete this

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

oh god delete this

Why? We discuss all the time the lack of female acts in guitar music and at festivals on here. What's wrong with pointing out some great albums that have been released from female-fronted acts in that scene this year? There are probably more female-fronted than male-fronted guitar acts high up my albums of the year list so far, which seems relevant in relation to those discussions about how males dominate the scene.

Apologies if you have a problem with it, though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Why? We discuss all the time the lack of female acts in guitar music and at festivals on here. What's wrong with pointing out some great albums that have been released from female-fronted acts in that scene this year? There are probably more female-fronted than male-fronted guitar acts high up my albums of the year list so far, which seems relevant in relation to those discussions about how males dominate the scene.

Apologies if you have a problem with it, though...

I apologise cos I was just meaning to prank you and not come down on you about anything. I do find it relevant to bring up gender when there's a clear gender imbalance somewhere like a festival. Otherwise it seems regressive to label acts based on the gender of their singer and go "give a hand to the female-fronted indie etc". But honestly I know you mean well.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, Winslow Leach said:

You say that as if Toxic isn't a banger...

Yeah it comes out that way.... the comment was more on my ignorance of the genre than of Britneys version.

Back on topic... this is 6 months old now but I've been quite smitten with this ep this year

Big fan of this Biig Piig track as well, not least as it's off a release called 'Big Fan of the Sesh'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gdihQ_cnfQ

Edited by Badlands

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I apologise cos I was just meaning to prank you and not come down on you about anything. I do find it relevant to bring up gender when there's a clear gender imbalance somewhere like a festival. Otherwise it seems regressive to label acts based on the gender of their singer and go "give a hand to the female-fronted indie etc". But honestly I know you mean well.

Fair enough, I mean in general conversation with mates or whatever I wouldn't go around saying something like that cos that'd be weird; just did it here cos of previous conversations about it.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

On 5/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, JSmurphy said:

New Nine Inch Nails June 22nd.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:12 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

Wow 6 songs cheers Trent.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, The Nal said:

Its an album and not an EP though so six long songs!

So I was right about this being a glorified EP, which is only being marketed as an album so that it's listed amongst other albums on streaming services and gets more exposure/doesn't get overlooked. Fair enough. Looking forward to it.

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So I was right about this being a glorified EP, which is only being marketed as an album so that it's listed amongst other albums on streaming services and gets more exposure/doesn't get overlooked. Fair enough. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, thought it would be. Ah well, I'm sure it'll still be good stuff.