2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Interesting, where've you heard that? I know he's said he plans to retire the name at some point but with new stuff coming out I'm assuming it's something he's still on for the time being.

I dunno it was one of my friends who had mentioned it the other day and I assumed it was true (as he announced a US tour a while ago but their aint a new album and hes been talking about retiring Childish Gambino for a while now). But I guess maybe the new music puts a spanner in that logic aha

Jungle have a couple of new tracks up on Spotify, both really good. They were good the other night in Cardiff and the new stuff all sounded nice. Interested to see where the new album takes them, the venue wasn't particularly busy Saturday so think that maybe their popularity may have taken a hit.

10 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Jungle have a couple of new tracks up on Spotify, both really good. They were good the other night in Cardiff and the new stuff all sounded nice. Interested to see where the new album takes them, the venue wasn't particularly busy Saturday so think that maybe their popularity may have taken a hit.

I went to their show in Glasgow and the venue wasn't that busy either. Their new music sounded decent though but I'm not sure if there's a big hit single on the new album i guess time will tell

10 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I was at the Cardiff show too and had expected it to be much busier but I suppose they have been off the scene for a while now and hadn’t brought out anything new beforehand - also I didn’t see the tour widely advertised. Really liked the new songs they played, sounds like more of the same following their debut but for me that’s not a bad thing

I saw Jungle a few weeks back and having raved about their performances at previous shows, I was distinctly nonplussed about their most recent show. Didn’t think much of the new stuff live and it seemed a lot more noticeable how samey their songs are. Had planned to get tickets to their Newcastle show but sacked it off based on that performance.

Courtney B’s new album is out there. Sounded pretty nice on first listen. Not a whole lot different than what she’s done before but some decent tunes there and better than I was expecting after being kind of unimpressed with the first single (which sounds just fine in context of the album).

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

New Holy Esque album 'Television / Sweet' out June 8th. @kingcrawler

There should be a single out today but it's geoblocked at the moment. Can't believe it's so soon, well excited.

Brilliant news. I was listening to their debut not too long ago and was wondering what they were up to, been over a year since I saw them at a gig that was to fund this new album. June was already very exciting for new releases but great to have this too. 

Listened to both Tyranny and Virtue again today and The Voidz have defo upped their game with Virtue. @dentalplan needs a hearing test plan...or whatever the equivalent term is for yr ears.

Toss-up between that and Little Dark Age for album of the year so far for me. I've not listened to the Parquet Courts leak yet though cos  I somehow didn't realise Content Nausea from 2014 existed until recently so that's my new album of theirs atm. I'm hoping Wide Awake will be up there as a contender too.

Virtue has some incredible tracks, Lazy Boy is still one of my favourite tracks of the year and there's a good few up there with it but also cos it's so weird there's a lot of experiments that don't land at all. So it ends up very mixed. It is still probably better than Tyranny on balance though. 

12 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Listened to both Tyranny and Virtue again today and The Voidz have defo upped their game with Virtue. @dentalplan needs a hearing test plan...or whatever the equivalent term is for yr ears.

Toss-up between that and Little Dark Age for album of the year so far for me. I've not listened to the Parquet Courts leak yet though cos  I somehow didn't realise Content Nausea from 2014 existed until recently so that's my new album of theirs atm. I'm hoping Wide Awake will be up there as a contender too.

Listen to Saba - CARE FOR ME.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Nah cba. Virtue and LDA are both similar in that they're both just good but late-twenties journalists have overegged them like crazy to try and create a comeback or a "win" for their heroes who frankly didn't really need one. Even if the highs aren't as strong for you, Tyranny is hella consistent while the lack of consistency is the severe downfall of Virtue having to have incredible tunes like Lazy Boy and Wink* follow on from absolute rubbish.

edit: Wink isn't actually incredible but Think Before You Drink is garbage and that needs to be pointed out.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

woah... for fans of parquet courts? 

great find, enjoying this a lot. Youre right it sounds a lot Parquet Courts

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Where is everyone getting it? Doesn't seem to be on Spotify.

It leaked, out officially on the 18th

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Nah cba. Virtue and LDA are both similar in that they're both just good but late-twenties journalists have overegged them like crazy to try and create a comeback or a "win" for their heroes who frankly didn't really need one. Even if the highs aren't as strong for you, Tyranny is hella consistent which is the severe downfall of Virtue having to have incredible tunes like Lazy Boy and Wink follow on from absolute rubbish.

Oh yeah I'm biased as fuck with MGMT, no doubt about that. A good MGMT album is gonna match a great album by a lot of other acts for me cos it's very hard being objective. Not the case with Virtue though, that record genuinely caught me off guard. Which makes me think it's probably the better album as I hadn't almost decided I liked it before I heard it like I did with LDA haha. I didn't even listen to Tyranny until like last year so I didn't go into this as a superfan who would have lapped anything up. I'm clearly in the minority cos it doesn't stand out as an album of highs and lows for me, I like the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Listen to Saba - CARE FOR ME.

Just listened to this now, cheers mate. Sounds decent. Not sure it's defo for me but I'll come back to it, and I think the only other hip-hop album I've heard so far this year is J Cole's tragic effort so I needed something.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Just listened to this now, cheers mate. Sounds decent. Not sure it's defo for me but I'll come back to it, and I think the only other hip-hop album I've heard so far this year is J Cole's tragic effort so I needed something.

I listened to it on Floorfiller's recommendation and at first didn't think it was amazing and wasn't sure where the mad praise was coming from. However I kept coming back to it every now and then and now it's the 2018 album I listen to the most. It's gradually worked it's way up my list and knocked Car Seat Headrest off the top spot.

Edit: For other hip-hop albums from this year, Jean Grae x Quelle Chris - Everything's Fine is one of my favourite albums of the year, and JPEGMAFIA - Veteran is also good.

I read JPEGMAFIA described as sounding like "Death Grips for people who don't have time for a migraine" or something, which was a fair description.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I listened to it on Floorfiller's recommendation and at first didn't think it was amazing and wasn't sure where the mad praise was coming from. However I kept coming back to it every now and then and now it's the 2018 album I listen to the most. It's gradually worked it's way up my list and knocked Car Seat Headrest off the top spot.

I've tried with Car Seat Headrest a few times but not sure I get what's so good about them. I like Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales (it sounds a lot like Nada Surf btw if you don't know them) so I should really give that album a go, but I've given Twin Fantasy a few goes recently and I've given up after the really long song near the start every time. 

Edit: just saw yr edit, I'll add them to my list cheers. Looking forward to the new Death Grips album. Think I've only heard The Money Store in full mind. Went to see them a couple of years ago, it was a bizarre (in a good way) gig.

Edited by Odessa

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I've tried with Car Seat Headrest a few times but not sure I get what's so good about them. I like Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales (it sounds a lot like Nada Surf btw if you don't know them) so I should really give that album a go, but I've given Twin Fantasy a few goes recently and I've given up after the really long song near the start every time. 

Edit: just saw yr edit, I'll add them to my list cheers. Looking forward to the new Death Grips album. Think I've only heard The Money Store in full. Went to see them a couple of years ago, it was a bizarre (in a good way) gig.

Fair play, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales is a monster tune of course.

Beach Life-In-Death (the really long song near the start) is probably in my top 3 on the album so maybe you just won't like the album at all. The other top ones for me are Bodys (normal length) and Famous Prophets (Stars) (which is 3 minutes longer than Beach Life-In-Dearh so you may not want to put yourself through that either :lol:

I don't even know what Death Grips I've listened to tbh, but I've enjoyed everything I've heard. When the new album comes out this year I'll be sure to listen to it.