2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Really looking forward to hearing this. I wonder if it’s gonna be as polarising as Humbug or if they’ve gotten so big now that people will eat anything they release up. I anticipate a lot of initial bemoaning if it’s as piano based and riff-less as has been suggested.

I think it will be as polarising but possibly on an even bigger scale, considering how many more people got into the band after AM (especially globally). From the limited amount we know, it sounds like it couldn't be further from AM (album) and I think most (casual music fans, not us music-obsessives) will be expecting something similar and are going to have quite the surprise. Personally though, I can't wait and I'm optimistic they'll pull it off. 

Been bugging me for ages what the groove from Boyfriend (Repeat) sounds like; now I know it's Baby Do You Wanna Bump.

Been a big week for these sorts of realisations, it's also dawned on me that Pills by St Vincent is well similar to the Pingu theme tune.

11 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Been bugging me for ages what the groove from Boyfriend (Repeat) sounds like; now I know it's Baby Do You Wanna Bump.

Been a big week for these sorts of realisations, it's also dawned on me that Pills by St Vincent is well similar to the Pingu theme tune.

D304EE4D-5567-4395-BB3C-EA378FD58718.gif

16 hours ago, Odessa said:

Was excited for Unknown Mortal Orchestra's new album, then I didn't really like it, now I reckon it's their best. Really good stuff.

Got round to Confidence Man's before and man you lot weren't lying. Tune after tune. 

Struggling to stick with the UMO one, I really like them but I'm struggling to talk myself into putting the album on. Been through it maybe 3 times since release and I've been kinda waiting for it to finish each time, doesn't help it was released around the same time as the incredibly relistenable efforts from Hinds and Confidence Man.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with Confidence Man on repeat. Surprisingly for a band that seems to pride itself on not being serious, it's a very well engineered album. Every sound is clear and very well defined.

And it doesn't matter than a few of the tracks are blatent Screamadelica ripoffs, when they're done with such love a d energy. When Primal Scream themselves revisited those sounds recently, they sounded knackered in comparison.

It's the C.O.O.L album of the year!

Bound to play next year aren't they? New band's tend to tour like crazy for a few years getting themselves established. Hope to see them in JPT in the afternoon in 2019!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Mentioning the actual Glastonbury festival

44 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bound to play next year aren't they? New band's tend to tour like crazy for a few years getting themselves established. Hope to see them in JPT in the afternoon in 2019!

Park Stage mate. All of eFests waving their wellies, except @CaledonianGonzo grumbling and waving a plastic kookaburra.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Park Stage mate. All of eFests waving their wellies, except @CaledonianGonzo grumbling and waving a plastic kookaburra.

I'm fairly torn. It does sound pretty good putting them in the "Australian baggy influenced indie-dance" slot like Jagwar Ma in 2016 and... Jagwar Ma in 2014.

Can imagine it's gonna be pretty divisive with fans of their older stuff, but Iceage's new album is sounding great on first listen. A lot more bright and even poppy than their previous stuff but it's ticking all the boxes for me. Think this leaked a while back (like 2 months prior to it's release) but had totally forgotten about it until now.